Respected Contributor

I had a rib roast in the freezer from Easter, I decided today would be a perfect day to fix.i bought a 4 pound one when they were on sale.my question to you all is what sides would you pare with this?I've always cooked rib roasts on 450 for half an hour.then down to 325.my rub was brown sugar,garlic salt,onion salt and pepper

Honored Contributor

I would have chosen a more savory rub rather than sweet. I’d make gravy from the pan drippings.  My sides would be mashed cauliflower and either roasted broccoli, asparagus, or brussel sprouts, and some keto cheddar biscuits.  

Honored Contributor

My sides would be green beans with butter and a baked potato baked until the skin is very crispy and the inside is dry and flaky.

The roast is the star.  You don't even need sides in an ideal world!  Woman Very Happy

With a good roast my ideal dessert is something very small and VERY chocolaty.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   once upon a time, rib roast was my go-to meal for company.  The roast is so rich, I, too, always kept the sides simple;  baked potato and a steamed green veggie was the full main course.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Sooner   once upon a time, rib roast was my go-to meal for company.  The roast is so rich, I, too, always kept the sides simple;  baked potato and a steamed green veggie was the full main course.

@millieshops I agree it IS rich.  My favorite steaks are filets and Porterhouse/t-bones rather than rib steaks for that very reason.  

But a rib roast is wonderful if crispy on the outside and a little more toward medium inside than medium rare--at least for me.   And that's because they are fatty. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sides? Mashed or baked potatoes, asparagus or roasted brussels sprouts.  Maybe some creamed spinach.

As for seasoning, no brown sugar, it's not a ham.  A good piece of beef only needs kosher salt and pepper.  And garlic cloves insert into the meat.

Trusted Contributor

A green veggie (asparagus or  green beans) and baked sweet potatoes (would go along with your brown sugar rub)

Respected Contributor

yes,I realize its not a ham qbetzforreal,and yes I make gravey as well.your sides sound wonderful .I have canned green beans from garden.this will be perfect.thankyou

Honored Contributor

i always love good mashed potatoes - something so comforting about it

enjoy ur rib roast - sounds delish

Honored Contributor

I'd serve it with a green salad, roasted vegetables, or grilled asparagus and either garlic mashed potatoes or grilled fresh corn for the starch.

Do what you love!