Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes from Previous Posters

here is the CHILI-GHETTI recipe that some were talking about.....

Trusted Contributor
LilBitMissty

Chili-Ghetti

‎07-04-2013 06:16 PM

Chili-Ghetti

2 Tablespoons butter

1 clove garlic

1/2 cup onion...minced

1 1//2 cups ground beef

2 1/2 cups (1 pound 3 ounce) can diced tomatoes

4 cups (2 1 pound cans) chili with meat

1 (8 ounce) pkg.spaghetti

3 cups cheddar cheese...shredded

1 cup sour cream

3/4 cup Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, melt butter. Brown garlic, onion and ground beef. Drain. Add tomatoes and chili. Simmer for about 45 minutes. While that's simmering, cook spaghetti as directed on pkg. Drain. Remove skillet with beef from heat. Stir in Cheddar cheese til melted. Fold in sour cream. Combine chili mixture and spaghetti, mixing well. Put into a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 minutes at 350*. Chili-Ghetti can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerate til ready to bake.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have lots of recipes from QVC when Hollee had the BB Recipes board with a lot of them posted over there. She posted she was taking the site down some years ago. Before she did that I copied all of them. I also have all the 2005 & 2006 Holiday recipes. 

Q Recipes.PNG

Q Recipes 1.PNG

@Nightowlz 

how can i access these?

when i put them in my address bar they dont come up?

i used to have the site saved, but as you know, it is no longer available. i had one or two recipes in the collection.

@sunshine45 

I copied all the recipes when Hollee had them all posted on her BB Board. She posted her quite a while back she was taking down her site so I copied them before she did that. As far as I know they are not available online now. It would take some time to post them all here.

I tried to post all the cookies/candy folder but it so it was too big with 80,000 characters so I would have to copy less each time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

Will try to post the Appetizers. It let me post these but the cookies/candy folder have too many recipes in it to post so would have to post less each time. Any folder with recipes in particular you do want?

BB Recipes/Q (Hollee)

Appetizers

• 3 Cheese Boboli (evergreen)
    • I Boboli Crust
      Olive Oil
      Fresh Garlic, minced
      Fresh Basil, chopped
      Mozarella Cheese, shredded
      2 pkgs. crumbled Feta with tomatoes and basil
      Parmesan cheese, shredded

Brush the Boboli crust with olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic. Layer the cheeses on top and then add the fresh basil. Bake at 325 degrees until cheeses are melted. Cut in to any size you wish for appetizers.

*Note: Boboli crusts are available in two sizes-small and regular pizza size. You can use either size and adjust the amount of cheese accordingly. I didn't specify amounts because I don't measure. I just add ingredients according to size of crust and depending on which cheese I like best. People really like this and I always get asked for the recipe.
  • Artichoke Dip (Jerz girl2)
    • 3/4 pound cream cheese, softened
      1/2 c milk or half-and-half
      1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan
      2 scallions (white and green), chopped
      1 clove garlic, minced
      2 large eggs, beaten
      1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
      2 c drained jarred or thawed artichoke hearts, patted dry
      1 teaspoon kosher salt
      Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
      Pinch cayenne
      Butter, as needed
      Assorted crackers

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
      In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, milk, Parmesan, scallions, garlic, eggs, and lemon juice; pulse until smooth. Add the artichokes, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and pulse until just mixed, but still chunky. Transfer the mixture to a buttered, deep 4-cup casserole dish and bake until lightly browned and set, about 1 hour. Serve warm with crackers.
  • Artichoke Dip (vedawhee)
    • 1 can of artichokes in water, drained & diced
      1 package of frozen spinach microwaved for a few minutes and drain to get ALL the water out, then chop finely
      1/2 bag of shredded Monterey jack/cheddar cheese
      1/2 container of sour cream
      salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder

add everything into a pan on the stove and cook over medium low heat until everything melts evenly.

I like those scoop chips, you get a nice bowl of dip in each bite.
  • Bacon and Cream Cheese Roll-ups (kdb1225)
    • White bread
      Softened cream cheese
      Pound of bacon

Spread cream cheese on bread. Cut the crusts off the bread and cut bread into thirds. Cut each strip of bacon into thirds. Roll up each section of the bread and take a third of the slice of bacon and wrap around bread roll.

Bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked.
  • Bacon Wrapped Shrimp (Jerz girl2)
    • Take bacon and wrap it around the shrimp and you can make a dipping sauce...
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon paprika
      dash twice with ground black pepper
      dash twice cayenne pepper
      dash allspice...OPTIONAL

10 pieces bacon
      10 large shrimp
      6 slices jalapeno...OPTIONAL
      2ounce pepper jack cheese or what ever cheese you think works.

Open shrimp, if using jalapeno slice put in shrimp, put a chunk of cheese on top, and wrap it all up with bacon.

Put oven on broil. Make the seasoning blend by combining the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium/high heat or how ever you do your bacon, but don't cook it all the way to crispy. You want undercooked bacon that, when cool, will easily wrap around the shrimp. Cook the bacon about
      3 minutes per side, and don't let it brown. Shell the shrimp, leaving the last segment of the shell and the
      tail. Remove the dark vein from the back of the shrimp (or buy them already cleaned Etc), and then
      cut down into the back of the shrimp, without cutting all the way through, so that the shrimp is nearly butterflied open. This will make a pocket for the pepper and cheese. Pour 1 cup of water into a small bowl. Add the shrimp and jalapeno peppers (if using) and microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Shrimp should be starting to firm up and change color. Immediately pour the water out of the bowl, remove the jalapeno slices and pour cold water over the shrimp. Place the shrimp and jalapeno pepper slices onto paper towels to drain off excess water. Place one slice into the slit on the back of a shrimp. Cut an inch long chunk of cheese (about 1/4 inch thick), and place it on the jalapeno slice. Wrap a piece of bacon around the shrimp, starting where the cheese is. Start wrapping with the thinnest end of the bacon. Go 1 1/2 times around the shrimp and then cut of the excess bacon and slide a skewer through the shrimp, starting with the end where the cheese is and piercing the cut end of the bacon on the other side. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and slide them onto the skewer with the tails facing the same direction. Put the skewer onto a baking sheet or broiler pan and sprinkle a very light coating of the seasoning blend over the shrimp, then
      broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown and the cheese begins to ooze. Will give you ten.
  • Baked Brie (JBHamm)
    • 1 can of refrigerated crescent rolls
      8 oz brie
      Lemon curd (or preserves flavor of choice)
      Egg yolk, beaten as wash over the pre-baked loaf

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

After opening the crescent rolls begin to wrap the brie sides and bottom until encased, making sure to seal the seams of the rolls tightly as you wrap them around. Leave the top of the brie temporarily uncovered by crescent rolls. Place the partially wrapped brie loaf on a cookie sheet (baking pan) that you have lightly sprayed with non-stick PAM type spray..
      Spread 1 - 2 tsps of lemon curd (I use Harry & David's) or the preserve flavor of your choice over the still exposed top of the brie..(We have added chopped nuts, almond slivers, etc to change the look and flavor)
      Use the remaining crescent rolls to cover the top of the preserve coated brie, again making sure the seams are tightened up (so the cheese doesn't oooozzze out while baking!) Depending on the size of your brie brick, you might have a roll or two left over..Don't over bundle the cheese or it will be too 'bread-y'.. Should work out just right with an 8 --> 10 oz piece of brie, tho!

Beat egg yolk lightly and brush over the crescent roll covered cheese to insure a golden colored brie loaf..

Bake for 14 -18 mins (amount of time suggested for baking the rolls is usually the right amount of time, but check to get a nice golden color...)

Remove from baking sheet to serving board or marble cheese slab, cool about 10 minutes (or as long as you can wait!)

Use a serrated spreader type utensil for the guests to slice or chunk off their servings..

Once you do brie like this.. it's so easy you'll never want to serve it any other way..
  • Cheese & Artichoke Dip (autumnleaf)
    • 8 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta)
      1 can (10oz) 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
      2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
      1/4 cup evaporated milk
      1 teaspoon dry mustard
      1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
      1/3 cup chopped roasted red pepper
      1 can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
      Directions:
      1. Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours, until melted.
      2. Stir well and serve with assorted crackers, bread cubes, or chips.
      3. You can also use this dip with cooked pasta for a delicious macaroni and cheese!
  • Cheese Dip with Bacon (Jerz girl)
    • 1 to 2 pack of 8oz cream cheese
      4 Cups(16oz) shredded colby-jack cheese
      1 Cup half-and-half
      2 Tablespoons mustard
      1 Tablespoon chopped onion
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 dash of hot pepper sauce(optional)
      1 pound bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
      green onion...optional

Slow Cooker directions:

1: Combine cream cheese, colby-jack cheese, half-and-half, mustard, onion, worcestershire sauce, salt and hot peper sauce in slow cooker.
      2: Cover; cook, stiring occasionally, on LOW for 1 hour or until the cheese melts.
      3: Stir in bacon and green onion, if desired; adjust seasonings. Serve with crusty bread or vegetable dippers.
  • Cheese Totellini Kabobs (katitesmom2)
    • 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated cheese or spinach-filled tortellini
      3/4 cup zesty Italian dressing
      1 (1/2-inch) slice deli ham, cubed
      1 (1/2-inch) slice deli hard salami, cubed
      1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
      1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
      1/4 pound (1/2-inch thick) slice LAND O LAKES® Deli Monterey Jack or Swiss Cheese, cubed 1/2-inch
      1/4 pound (1/2-inch thick) slice LAND O LAKES® Deli American or Cheddar Cheese, cubed 1/2-inch
      36 toothpicks

Instructions:
      Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain.

Place Italian dressing, ham, salami, red and green pepper in large plastic food bag. Tightly seal bag. Turn bag over; place in 13x9-inch pan. Refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 hours; drain.

Thread tortellini, ham, salami, peppers and cheese on toothpicks.
      Yield: 36 appetizers 
  • Cheesy Sausage Rollups (autumnleaf)
    • 1 lb. all-beef cocktail sausages
      1 package (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
      1 package refrigerated pie crust dough

Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.

Pinch off a piece of pie crust dough about the size of a quarter and shape to wrap around one sausage, leaving the ends of the sausages exposed. Lay 5-8 cheese shreds on the dough, then roll up the dough. Pinch to seal securely. Repeat until all sausages are encased.

Bake for 10-12 minutes on parchment paper-lined baking sheets until golden brown. Serve with good mustards for dipping.
  • Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball (autumnleaf)
    • 1-8oz. package cream cheese
      1/2 cup butter (no subsitutes), softened
      1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
      3/4 cup powdered sugar
      2 T. brown sugar
      3/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
      3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
      Chocolate and/or regular graham crackers

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter & vanilla until fluffy.
      Gradually add sugars; beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
      Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Place cream cheese mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap; shape into a ball. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
      Just before serving, roll cheese ball in pecans. Serve with graham crackers.
  • Crab Ball (scchick)
    • 2 cans drained, crab
      1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
      Your favorite cocktail sauce

Mix crab and cream cheese. Shape into a ball and place on a pretty plate. Before serving, pour your cocktail sauce over the ball...enough to be "pretty"

Serve with crackers of your choice (very good w/Triscuits or Wheat Thins). Place crackers around the crab ball and have extra crackers available so you do not have to keep checking as to whether you need more crackers out.

• Crab Cakes (newloginname80)
    • 1 pound crabmeat
      2 sticks butter
      2 jars old english cheese spread (5 oz. each)
      4 tablespoons mayonnaise
      1 teaspoon old bay seasoning or seasoned salt
      1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
      dash of worcestershire sauce
      juice of half a lemon
      paprika
      12 english muffins

preheat oven to 350 degrees if you are going to be making them right away.

mix all of the ingredients together except for the english muffins. fold in the crabmeat last. halve the english muffins. spread the crab mixture evenly on the muffin halves. once all of the muffin halves are covered and the mixture is done, sprinkle with paprika (or you can also sprinkle with the old bay instead), then quarter each muffin half and place on a large cookie sheet. freeze them in a single layer on the cookie sheet until they are frozen solid. take them out of the freezer then place them in ziploc bags and place them in the freezer again to use when needed.

when you want to serve them, thaw them a bit and put them in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. they should be slightly crunchy on the bottom and creamy on the top

hope you enjoy them as much as we do... the best part is is that a pound of crabmeat goes a long way and that you can make them ahead of time.
  • Crab Dip (tawny pa)
    • 2-3 cans crabmeat, cleaned and pick out any shells
      2 packages Philly cream cheese
      l/4 cup onion chopped
      2 tbs. horseradish (a little more if you like it)
      3/4 cup extra sharp cheese
      2 tbs. milk, if not creamy enough add a little more
      salt and pepper to taste

Soften cream cheese, and mix with crab, add milk, onion, horseradish, onion and cheddar cheese, mix well and put in casserole. Bake at 325 for l5 minutes or until top is lightly brown. Serve with wheat crackers or any kind that you like
  • Crabby Muffins - version 1 (autumnleaf)
    • 2 T. Miracle Whip
      1/4 butter or margarine melted
      dash lemon juice
      1 T. horseradish
      1 (4oz.) cream cheese, softened (I use microwave for this)
      1/2 tsp. garlic salt
      1 can crabmeat (I use two!)
      1 (5oz.) jar Kraft Old English cheese
      English muffins
      Directions:
      1. Mix everything except the muffins.
      2. Split the muffins, toast them,(I toast them about half way done or so, until they're crispyish)
      3. Spread lots of the crab mix on top of each one. Sprinkle with paprika and broil in toaster oven until bubbly and brown.
  • Crabby Muffins - version 2 (autumnleaf)
    • 2 T. mayonnaise
      dash lemon juice
      1 T. horseradish
      1 (4oz.) cream cheese, softened
      1 clove of garlic, grated
      salt to taste
      2 cans crabmeat, rinsed and well-drained
      1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese-Kraft 2% works well
      English muffins

Mix the grated cheese and cream cheese and microwave for about 30 sec., stir, then microwave for another 30 sec. or so until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients except the muffins. Split the muffins, toast them, then spread the crab mix on top of each one, sprinkle with paprika and broil in the toaster oven until bubbly and brown. If using as a dip, serve warm in bowl.
  • Crabmeat Ball (5dixie)
    • 1 8 oz softened cream cheese - can use low fat
      1 6 1/2 oz can of crab meat drained
      crackers and cocktail sauce

Shred and pick out any cartilage and bones.(never found any in mine) Mix thoroughly with cr. cheese. Form ball. Chill for four hrs.

Place on pretty plate or cheese board. Pour your favorite cocktail sauce over ball right before serving...just enough to make it "pretty" looking.

Serve with your favorite crackers. I usually place some crackers around the place or serving tray. Doesn't make a HUGE ball. I make two. Depends on the number in your crowd and what else you're serving
  • Crockpot Pizza Fondue (autumnleaf)
    • 1 lb. ground beef
      2 cans pizza sauce
      8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
      8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
      1 tsp. dried oregano
      1/2 tsp. fennel seed (optional)
      1 TBS cornstarch
      Tortilla chips

Brown beef, crumble fine and drain. Combine all ingredients except tortilla chips in slow cooker. Cover. Heat on Low 2-3 hours. Serve with tortilla chips.
  • Grandma's Cheese Ball (oceantown)
    • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
      1 cup (4 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
      1 (4 oz) package blue cheese (Fisherman’s Brand)
      2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
      1 Tablespoon milk
      1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
      1 cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds

Mix all ingredients together, shape into ball and roll in nuts. Refrigerate.
  • Ham & Cheese Crescent Snacks (autumnleaf)
    • 1 (8-oz.) can Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
      2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
      1 teaspoon prepared mustard
      1 cup cubed cooked ham
      1/3 cup chopped onion
      1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
      4 oz. (1 cup) shredded Cheddar or American cheese

Preparation Directions:
      1. Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Press or roll dough into a 13x9-inch rectangle, sealing perforations. Pinch edges to form rim.
      2. In small bowl, combine margarine and mustard; mix well. Spread mixture over crust. Sprinkle ham, onion, bell pepper and cheese over mixture.*
      3. Bake at 375°F. for 18 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cut into pieces; serve warm. Store in refrigerator
  • Holiday Brie en Croute (hollee)
    • 1/2 pkg. Pepperidge Farm® Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet)
      1 egg
      1 tbsp. water
      1/2 cup apricot preserves OR Raspberry jam
      1/3 cup dried cranberries , softened*
      1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
      1 (13.2 oz.) Alouette® Baby Brie
      Pepperidge Farm® Water Crackers

THAW pastry sheet at room temperature 30 min. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix egg and water.

UNFOLD pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Roll into 14" square. Cut off corners to make a circle. Spread preserves to within 1" of pastry edge. Sprinkle cranberries and almonds over preserves. Top with cheese. Brush edge of circle with egg mixture. Fold two opposite sides over cheese. Trim remaining two sides to 2" from edge of cheese. Fold these two sides onto the round. Press edges to seal. Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Decorate top with pastry scraps if desired. Brush with egg mixture.

BAKE 20 min. or until golden. Let stand 1 hr. Serve with crackers.

TIP: *To soften cranberries, mix dried cranberries and 1/2 cup hot water in bowl. Let stand 1 min. Drain and pat dry.

Serves 12
  • Honey Mustard Pretzels (autumnleaf)
    • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
      1/4 cup honey mustard
      1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
      Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
      10 cups small pretzels
      Directions:
      1. Melt margarine or butter in a saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in honey mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce.
      2. Place pretzels in a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
      3. Pour mustard mixture over pretzels; toss gently to coat.
      4. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
      5. Spread on foil; cool. Store in an airtight container.

Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare, bake, and cool the pretzel
  • Hot Artichoke Dip (kalina)
    • 1 Can Artichokes (drained)
      8 oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
      1 Cup Mayonnaise
      1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
      1-2 sections (more if you prefer) fresh garlic, chopped or minced OR 1 tsp. garlic powder
      1 ½ tsp. Dill Weed (I use dried)

If you have a food processor:
      Add all the ingredients at one time and process until smooth. Pour into a small casserole dish and bake uncovered at 400º for approximately 30 minutes or until well browned.

Blender or hand mixer:
      Chop artichoke hearts. Mix together the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Add the artichokes, garlic, and dill weed.
      Pour into a small casserole dish and bake uncovered at 400º for approximately 30 minutes or until well browned.
  • Hot Crab Dip (glamgeek)
    • 1 lb. crab meat (lump back to claw meat)
      8 oz. carton sour cream
      2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
      4 T. mayonnaise
      1 clove of garlic, minced
      juice of 1/2 lemon
      1 T. prepared horseradish
      1/8 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (optional)
      1/2 C. shredded white cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except crab meat and cheddar cheese. Once all ingredients are mixed thoroughly, gently fold in the crab meat to keep it from breaking up. Top with cheddar cheese and bake in a 325° F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

Note: If the mixture seems too thick you can thin it down a bit with milk...maybe a couple tablespoons.

I normally serve with good crackers and I buy a long baguette at the bakery, slice it into thin slices, brush with butter or olive oil and bake just until crispy. The dip is substantial (not runny) and the baguette slices hold up well.
  • Hot Crab Dip (grlegrl)
    • In microwave bowl put 6 oz crab meat, 16 oz velveeta cheese (cubed), 1/2 c onion (diced), 1/2 c red bell pepper diced. Microwave on high 5 min. Stir after 3 min.

After it's microwaved mix 8 oz Breakstone's sour cream and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.

I measured the cheese and the sour cream. The rest I just eyeballed it.

Hope you like it!
  • Hot Dried Beef Dip (hollee)
    • Toast 1/2 cup pecans in 2 tbsp butter and set aside

In separate bowl, mix together.....

12 oz cream cheese (1 and 1/2 8 oz pkgs)
      2 tbsp milk
      1-2.5 oz jar dried beef (cut into thin strips)
      1/2 cup chopped green pepper
      1/2 cup chopped onion

Spread into soufflé dish or pie plate. Sprinkle with the toasted pecans

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until heated through

Serve with crackers or chips for dipping - we usually serve wheat thins.
  • Knorr Spinach Dip (katiesmom2)
    • 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed (do not use fresh)
      1 1/2 c. sour cream
      1 c. mayonnaise
      1 (4 oz.) pkg. Knorr vegetable soup mix
      1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, finely chopped
      3 green onions, finely chopped
      Loaf of pumpernickel bread

Squeeze spinach until dry. In medium bowl, stir together spinach, sour cream and soup mix. Add finely chopped water chestnuts and green onions. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Cut slice from top of round loaf of pumpernickel bread, hollow out loaf to leave shell to contain dip. Use bread removed from shell and top slice to cut into bite size pieces. Butter inside of bread shell, fill loaf with dip and place on platter and surround with bread pieces and variety of raw vegetables. After the dip is eaten, enjoy the dip soaked bread shell as well.
  • Marinated Cheese (dutch girl)
    • Marinated Cheese
      1/2 c olive oil
      1/2 c white wine vinegar
      3 T chopped fresh parsley
      3T minced green onions
      1 t sugar
      3/4 t dried basil
      1/2 t salt
      1/2 t freshly ground pepper
      3 cloves garlic, minced
      1 (2oz) jar diced pimento, drained
      1 - 5 1/2 x2x1 inch block sharp Cheddar cheese 8oz chilled
      1 (8oz) package cream cheese, chilled
      Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 10 ingredients in a jar, cover tightly and shake vigorously. Set amrinade mixture aside.

Cut block of Cheddar in half lengthwise, Cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices, set aside. Repeat procedure with cream cheese. Arrange cheese slice alternately in a shallow baking dish, standing sliced on edges. Pour marinade over cheese slices.

Transfer cheese slices to a serving platter in the same alternating fashion, reserving marinade. Spoon marinade over cheese slices. Garnish if desired. Serve w. assorted crackers.
      Yield 12-16 appetizer servings.
  • MBR's Cocktail Meatballs (Jerz girl2)
    • 1lb lean hamburger
      1/4 lb pork sausage
      1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
      1 egg
      1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I use more)
      10 oz grape jelly
      12 oz chilli sauce
      1 T Worcestershire sauce
      1/2 garlic salt
      1/8 pepper
      1/4 cup light cream

Mix hamburger, sausage, bread crumbs, egg, and parm cheese; form into 1 inch diameter meatballs. Brown in skillet until cooked through. In separate saucepan, melt the grape jelly on low heat, now add chilli sauce, Worcestershire sauce and remaining ingredients. Heat and combine with meatballs. Serve warm Makes approx. 40 one inch meatballs.
  • Mexican 8 Layer Dip (California Girl)
    • Mix 1/4 cu taco sauce with 1 can refried beans.

layer in this order
      1 cu. shredded lettuce
      refried beans and taco sauce
      8 oz. sour cream
      6 oz. avacado dip or guacamole
      1 cu. shredded jack or cheddar cheese
      1/4 cu. sliced green onion
      1 can sliced olives
      2 med chopped tomatoes

Recipe can be doubled. Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book.
  • Pan-Fried Onion Dip (oceantown)
    • Recipe from the Barefoot Contessa

2 large yellow onions (substitute Vidalia for a sweeter dip)
      4 tablespoons unsalted butter
      1/4 cup vegetable oil
      1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
      1 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (start with less and add more if desired)
      4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
      1/2 cup sour cream
      1/2 cup mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature
  • Pizza Dip (Jerz girl)
    • ! envelope Lipton recipe secrets herb with garlic soup mix.
      1 container (16oz) sour cream
      1 Cup (8oz) ricotta cheese.
      1 Cup mozzarella cheese...equally divided
      1/4 Cup(1 once) chopped pepperoni(optional)

1 loaf Italian or french bread sliced. (Crackers or what ever you choose to use works).

Light over to 350. In a shallow 1 quart casserole, combine soup mix, sour cream, ricotta, 1/2-3/4 Cup of the mozzarella and the pepperoni.
      Sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella.
      Bake for about 30 mins...serve with bread or what ever you choose.

Cheese dip with bacon for slow cooker:
      1 to 2 pack of 8oz cream cheese
      4 Cups(16oz) shredded colby-jack cheese
      1 Cup half-and-half
      2 Tablespoons mustard
      1 Tablespoon chopped onion
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 dash of hot pepper sauce(optional)
      1 pound bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
      green onion...optional

Slow Cooker directions:

1: Combine cream cheese, colby-jack cheese, half-and-half, mustard, onion, worcestershire sauce, salt and hot peper sauce in slow cooker.
      2: Cover; cook, stiring occasionally, on LOW for 1 hour or until the cheese melts.
      3: Stir in bacon and green onion, if desired; adjust seasonings. Serve with crusty bread or vegetable dippers.
  • Rice Balls (Jerz girl2)
    • 4 Tblsp. butter
      1/2 Cup finely minced onion 2 Cups rice
      8 C hot Chicken Stock or canned chicken broth
      3/4 C grated Romano cheese
      2 eggs, beaten

dash or two of garlic salt
      black pepper to taste
      8 oz. mozzarella cheese
      2 Cup dry bread crumbs
      1 1/2 vegetable oil...for frying
      3 Cups tomato gravy heated up.

Cut the mozzarella cheese into 16/18 cubes and place into the freezer until ready to assemble the rice balls. (So cheese balls don't melt too fast). Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add rice and stir to coat with butter. Cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken stock (bullion may be substituted) and cook, stir until broth is almost absorbed, 4-5 minutes. Add 1 more cup of the broth and cook until almost absorbed. Continue to add broth gradually and cook, stirring, until rice is tender but still firm and liquid forms a thick sauce, 18-20 minutes total. Remove from heat. Stir Romano cheese and eggs into the hot rice and mix until blended thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and a little garlic salt. Spread the rice out evenly on a baking sheet to cool enough to handle. Slice the rice mixture into 16-18 portions. Place a slice of the rice mixture in the palm of your hand and one cube of mozzarella in center, form into a ball. Bring the edges together to enclose cheese, forming a ball squeezing firmly making sure the cheese is covered. Roll each ball in bread crumbs and fry in a large saucepan or deep fat fryer in vegetable oil over medium heat, a few at a time and cook, turning, until an even golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Serve hot, with tomato gravy for dipping.
  • Salsa Dip (Mamere)
    • 16 oz. cream cheese
      chunky salsa 8-9 oz
      8 oz onion dip
      Mix together corsely and spread in 13x17" pan
      Can be done ahead of time

chopped box of cherry tomatoes
      couple of scallions
      large can sliced black olives
      bag Kraft taco shredded cheese
      Mix together and keep in a bowl. Spread over other mixture just before leaving for party.

Bring with a large bag of nacho chips; everyone in my family loves it, and it's easy.
  • Scampi Appetizer (Jerz girl2)
    • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing off the dish
      3 garlic cloves, chopped fine( for a milder garlic flavor, use crushed or sliced garlic cloves instead, and remove).
      1 pound extra large (about 25 to the pound) shrimp, completely shelled, deveined and cut crosswise into 3 pieces
      1 tablespoon chopped chives
      1/2 cup dry white wine
      4 tablespoons unsalted butter...cut into 4 pieces
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley...regular is fine
      1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
      Salt
      6 slices Italian bread (about 1/4 inch thick and 2 1/2 inches wide), toasted...keep warm
      1 lemon, cut into slices

High heat and speed heat are very important!. Make sure the pan is good and hot when you add the shrimp and that it is wide enough to hold all the shrimp pieces in a single layer (so it doesn't’t cool down as they go in). And be sure to have all your ingredients right by the stove...once the shrimp go into the pan, it will be very fast.
      Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, shaking the pan, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the shrimp and toss until they are bright pink and seared on all sides, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chives, then add the wine, butter and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and boil until the shrimp are barely opaque in the center and the sauce is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
      If you want, place a piece of warm toast in the center of plates (six) Spoon the shrimp and sauce over the toast, drizzling some of the sauce around the toast.
      Enjoy!
  • Seasoned Oyster Crackers (autumnleaf)
    • 1 (1 oz.) package ranch dressing mix
      1 tsp. garlic powder
      1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
      1/2 C vegetable oil
      1 (16 oz.) package oyster crackers.
      Directions:
      1. Mix together ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, dill and vegetable oil.
      2. Keeping it mixed, slowly pour it over the crackers; mix gently until the crackers are coated with the mixture.
      3. Stir every 10 minutes for 1 hour. Store in an tight jar
  • Shrimp Dip (Soushi24)
    • one 8 oz. softened cream cheese
      1 can drained shrimp
      1 t. Worcestershire sauce
      1 t. horseradish
      enough mayo to make it spreadable
      1/2 small onion finely chopped

Mix, serve with crackers

• Spinach Artichoke Dip (autumnleaf)
    • 1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach
      1 1/2 cups thawed, chopped frozen artichoke hearts
      (I used canned in water, 15 oz.)
      6 ounces cream cheese
      1/4 cup sour cream
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/3 cup grated Parmesan
      1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used a few drops of Tabasco)
      1/4 teaspoon salt

Boil spinach and artichokes in 1 cup of water until tender and drain. Discard liquid. Heat cream cheese in microwave for 1 minute or until hot and soft. Stir in rest of ingredients and serve hot.

I didn't exactly boil it, just heated the frozen spinach (I used about 1/3 of a 1 lb. bag) and chokes in the microwave until hot, then added the cream cheese and heated another minute, then mixed everything together. Next time I think I'll cut the mayo to a tablespoon or two instead of 1/4 cup. It was pretty good, though. I'll make it again.

Note: I used a can of artichoke bottoms because they were on sale. Don't buy the bottoms, they are tougher than the tops, as I found out .
  • Spinach Artichoke Dip (Cubby'sMom)
    • 2 cups parmesan cheese
      1 box frozen spinach, thawed
      1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
      2/3 cup sour cream
      1 cup cream cheese
      1/3 cup mayonnaise
      2 teaspoons garlic, minced

Mix together Parmesan cheese, spinach, and artichoke hearts.

Combine remaining ingredients and mix with spinach mixture. Bake at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.
  • Spinach Balls (autumnleaf)
    • 1 (1 oz.) package ranch dressing mix
      1 tsp. garlic powder
      1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
      1/2 C vegetable oil
      1 (16 oz.) package oyster crackers.
      Directions:
      1. Mix together ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, dill and vegetable oil.
      2. Keeping it mixed, slowly pour it over the crackers; mix gently until the crackers are coated with the mixture.
      3. Stir every 10 minutes for 1 hour. Store in an tight jar
  • Spinach Dip (soccermamarama)
    • 1 cup good mayo
      1 cup sour cream
      1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
      2 cups grated swiss cheese
      scant 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Love this to dip with Rye Triscuits
  • Spinach Feta Phyllo Rollups (vedawhee)
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
      1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
      1 cup ATHENOS Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese
      1 tub (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Garden Vegetable Light Cream Cheese Spread
      1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
      15 sheets frozen phyllo sheets (14x9 inch), thawed
      1/3 cup butter, melted

MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until well blended. Set aside.
      PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the remaining butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between sheets of plastic wrap; set aside.
      SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of the short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter. To prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
      FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or overnight until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F-oven for 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on cutting board. Cut each log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.
  • Stuffed Calamari (Jerz girl2)
    • 3 lbs calamari
      1 1/2 Cups bread crumbs
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/3 Cup Romano cheese
      2 T minced parsley
      1/4 Cup prepared Tomato SAUCE
      1/4 tsp. garlic salt
      Oil to moisten Bread Crumbs

Clean calamari and soak in water with 2 T's of vinegar. Rinse and pat dry. Mix remaining ingredients. Stuff calamari only half way and place a toothpick across the top. Put some sauce in bottom of a heavy pan. Place all calamari in pan an pour sauce(not thick like a gravy...it's a sauce) over all. Simmer gently in covered pan until just tender.

For your pan sauce:
      1 large onion
      2 cloves garlic
      basil
      1 large can crushed plum tomatoes
      1 small can tomato sauce
      1/2 Cup white wine

Simmer the chopped onion, garlic and basil in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes, sauce, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Add wine and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Sugared Pecans and Walnuts (autumnleaf)
    • 1 pound Pecans or Walnut pieces
      1/2 cup Unsalted butter - melted
      1/2 cup Powdered sugar
      1/4 tsp Allspice - ground
      1/8 tsp Cloves - ground
      1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon - ground
      1/4 tsp Ginger - ground
      Directions:
      1. Preheat crockpot on high for 15 minutes. Once preheated, stir in the walnuts (or pecans) and butter until mixed well.
      2. Add the powdered sugar, stirring to coat evenly.
      3. Cover and slow-cook on high for 15 minutes.
      4. Reduce the heat to low and slow cook, UNCOVERED, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are coated with a crisp glaze (should be about 2 hours.)
      5. Transfer the nuts to a bowl.
      6. In another small bowl, combine the spices and sift them over the nuts, stirring to coat evenly. Let cool before serving.
  • Texas Quick Dip (Diamonds22)
    • 2 - 8 Oz. Cream Cheese (Softened)
      1/2 Cup Sour Cream
      1 - 8 Oz. Jar Mild or Medium Salsa
      1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt

In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream. Fold in salsa
      & seasoned salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving bring to room
      temperature.

Serve with chips or veggies.

Makes 3 1/2 cups.
  • Tortilla Black Bean Pinwheels (autumnleaf)
    • 8 oz. sour cream
      8 oz. cream cheese softened
      4 oz. green chilies, drained
      4 oz. chopped black olives, drained
      1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
      1/2 cup chopped onion
      2 cups black beans, roughly mashed (or use refried beans)
      Garlic powder to taste
      Salt to taste

6 10-inch flour tortillas
      Salsa

Mix first 9 ingredients. Divide filling and spread evenly over tortillas; roll up tortillas. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
      Refrigerate for several hours. Unwrap; cut in slices 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Serve with salsa.
  • Union Square Bar Nuts (tamn8r)
    • 1/4 pound each peeled peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and whole unpeeled almonds or 1 pounds unsalted, assorted nuts.
      2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
      1/2 teaspoon cayenne
      2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
      2 teaspoons kosher salt
      1 tablespoon butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven until they become light golden brown, about 10 minutes.

3. In the large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter.

4. Thoroughly toss the warm toasted nuts with the spiced butter and serve warm.
  • Vegetable Cheesecake (autumnleaf)
    • 1 (5 ounce) package thin vegetable crackers
      1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
      2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
      1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli flowerets
      1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
      1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
      1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
      2 teaspoons Ranch-style salad dressing mix
      dash of worchestershire sauce
      party rye bread or crackers

Process crackers until they become fine crumbs ( about 1 and 1/2 cups)
      Combine crumbs with butter and press mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
      Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add broccoli and next 6 ingredients, mixing well. Spread mixture evenly over crust. Cover and chill 8 hours.
      Remove sides from pan and place cheesecake on serving platter. Serve with bread or crackers.
  • Vidalia Onion Cheese Dip (CubbysMom)
    • If you like sweet onions, you will like this dip. Served hot and bubbly.

3 large Vidalia onions or other sweet onions, coarsely chopped
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, melted
      2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz.)
      1 cup mayonnaise
      1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
      1-2 garlic clove, minced

Cook onion in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
      Combine onion, cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and garlic; stir well.
      Pour into a lightly buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
      Bake, uncovered, at 375ºFahrenheit for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
      Serve dip with tortilla chips or assorted crackers.
  • Vidalia Onion Dip (Jerz girl2)
    • 3 cups chopped Vidalia onions
      3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
      2 1/2 cups mayonnaise
      1 dash garlic salt

Mix all ingredients and pour into greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
      Bake at 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
      Serve with tortilla chips
  • White Pizza Dip (vedawhee)
    • 1 cup sour cream
      1 cup ricotta cheese
      1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
      1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
      1 package lipton's herb with garlic soup mix
      1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (can be left out)

Mix all ingredients well.
      Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes.

this is fantastic! i am begged to bring this to all of our poker parties. either make some garlic bread baguettes to go with it, or get a really hearty cracker.
  • Yummy Beef Rolls (Jerz girl2)
    • 8 boneless beef cut thin (flank steak, boneless sirloin or flank steak)
      8 very thin pieces of smoked baked ham or pancetta
      1/3 Cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
      2 garlic clove, minced with some Italian parsley
      1 heaping tablespoon rinsed and drained capers (optional)
      3 oz. Romano cheese
      1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
      1 medium yellow onion, chopped
      2 garlic clove, chopped with the onion (more or less can be used depending on taste)
      Black Pepper to taste
      capers (optional)
      Finely chopped Italian parsley for garnish

Pound beef cutlets and stretch them and make very thin. Lay a slice of ham or pancetta on each piece, sprinkle with a teaspoon of the garlic-parsley combination, a few capers, and a portion of the Romano cheese. Roll each cutlet up over the filling and secure with a toothpick or tie with thread.

In a deep skillet over medium/high heat, brown the beef rolls on all sides in the olive oil. Remove as they brown and set aside.

Gravy:
      1 28 oz. can tomatoes or 12 fresh tomatoes
      1 medium onion chopped
      1 large clove garlic minced
      1/3 C olive oil
      1/4 tsp. Oregano
      1/3 tsp. Basil or 3 fresh leaves, chopped
      1 tsp. sugar
      1/4 tsp. garlic salt
      2 Tblsp Romano cheese
      salt & pepper to taste

Heat large skillet, add olive oil when the oil is heated, add crushed garlic let the garlic saute briefly then add the onion. Cook 2/3 minutes. Add tomatoes and all seasonings and cook until thick enough for a macaroni. A can of mushrooms can be added 5-10 minutes before the gravy is served.
      (For a thicker heartier gravy, add 1 can of tomato paste; the recipe may be prepared ahead to this point.)
      When you are ready to continue, heat olive oil in a fry pan, add finely chopped onion and beef rolls. Cook beef rolls in the until browned on all sides.
      Heat the gravy over medium until it is simmering. Place the beef rolls in the pan, spooning the gravy over them to cover well. Add salt and pepper. Cover the pan lower the heat to medium/low, and continue cooking for 25 minutes, or until the beef rolls are thoroughly impregnated with the flavors of the sauce.
      Serve the beef rolls with the gravy. Slice the rolls into bite size pieces, put tooth picks in and again you have a great bite size food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

Since it's that time of year here are the Soups & Chili Recipes

BB Recipes/Q (Hollee)

Soups & Chili

• 5 Can Soup (Soushi24)
    • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies (drained)
      1 can refried beans
      1 can black beans (drained)
      1 can red kidney beans (drained)
      1 can chicken broth
      1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
      1 cup or so of grated cheese of your choice

any other flavorings - garlic, onions, chopped cilantro herbs, etc.

Directions - dump into a pot, mix and heat. Serve in bowls topped with grated cheese or a dollop of sour cream
  • Baked Potato Soup (katiesmom2)
    • 4 large baked potatoes
      2/3 cup butter
      2/3 cup flour
      6 cups of milk (whole or 2%)
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp pepper
      4 chopped green onions
      12 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
      2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
      1 cup (8 oz) sour cream

Cut potatoes in half. Scoop out pulp and put in a small bowl.
      Melt butter in large kettle.
      Add flour.
      Gradually stir in milk. Continue to stir until smooth, thickened and bubbly.
      Stir in potato pulp, salt, pepper and 3/4 of the onions, bacon and cheese. Cook until heated.
      Stir in sour cream.
      Transfer to crock pot set to low. Top with remaining bacon, onions and cheese.

As a variation, add several slices of Velveeta cheese to make soup creamier and cheesier. I've never tried this though!

I get tons of compliments on this soup. It isn't a light soup for sure - very filling!!  Serves 6-8
  • Beef Stew (adeli)
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
      2 pounds beef, cut into 1-inch cubes from a chuck potroast (I cut my own)
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1 tablespoon soy sauce
      4 large peeled and smashed cloves of garlic
      2 large onions, each cut in 1/4s or 12 small peeled pearl onions left whole.
      2 bay leaves
      3 cups of water
      1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
      12 small carrots, peeled and trimmed or 6 large ones cut on the diagonal into two inch pieces
      8 to 10 small new potatoes, peeled or 4 baking potatoes peeled and quartered.
      1 cup frozen peas that have been thawed

Coat the beef cubes in flour mixed with salt and pepperthe mixture. Shake off excess. In a large Dutch oven over high heat, brown the cubes of beef in the olive oil. Add garlic and lightly brown.
      Add the onions and tomato sauce, water, soy sauce and bay leaves.
      Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
      Add the carrots, onions, and potatoes, and cook until vegetables are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30 to 45 minutes more. Add peas. If gravy is not thick enough, mix a couple tablespoons of flour in some water and stir until perfectly smooth. Then add some of the hot stew liquid to it and then add it to the stew.

Note: You can use wine in place of some of the water. You can fry bacon and use drippings to brown the beef in. You can make this with or without potatoes. You can add turnips etc.

Serves 6
  • Beef Stew (Idacat)
    • I usually just throw it together and don't use a recipe.

Season about a half cup of Wondra (other flour can be used but this works best) with salt, pepper, paprika and a bit of garlic salt in a plastic bag, mixing four and seasonings very well

Add about 1 lb, more or less, stewing beef cubes to the plastic bag with the flour, and toss until the cubes are coated and there is little to no loose flour in the bag.

Meanwhile melt 2T shortening and 2T butter in dutch oven until hot enough to sizzle when a cube of floured meat is added. When it reaches this point add the entire contents of the plastic bag, meat cubes and residual flour. Stir and cook floured meat cubes in the shortening/butter mixture until they are pretty well browned then add 1 pkg brown gravy mix, 2 cups water, and 1/2 cup red wine (cooking wine will do, and you can do this, I'm a Latter Day Lady too, the alcohol in the wine cooks off, or, you can leave it out but the resulting product will be less "hearty"). Bring this to a boil and add:

1 onion, cubed, size is up to you
      1c, chunky sliced celery
      2T dehydrated parsley
      1 large bay leaf

Bring back to slow boil and reduce heat to low or simmer, cook until meat is tender.

When meat is tender add baby carrots, or sliced carrots (fresh) and cubed peeled russet or red potatoes. Bring back to simmer.

About 5 minutes before serving, add 1 cup (more or less) frozen peas.
      If the stew is watery at this stage, add more Wondra flour shaken in a jar with cold water (1/4 cup flour to 3/4 cup water) gradually, until stew is of desired thickness.

There are any manner of things you can add besides those listed above; I sometimes add turnips or cabbage, and have been known to add brussel sprouts. Learn to be creative !!

You'll need to taste along the way to see if you need to add additional salt and pepper.
  • Cheddar Cheese Soup (katiesmom2)
    • 2 cans cream of celery soup (reduced fat, if desired)
      16 ounces Cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
      1 teaspoon paprika
      1 tablespoon sherry, optional
      1 1/4 cups half and half
      salt and pepper, if desired

PREPARATION:
      Put first 5 ingredients in the slow cooker/Crock Pot; cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Add half and half; cook 20 minutes more, until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cheese soup recipe serves 6.
  • Chicken Dumpling & Chicken Soup (anonymous)
    • For the dumplings:

2 Tbsp finely chopped shallots
      3/4 cup finely chopped parsley
      1/2 tsps dried Italian seasoning
      2 Tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
      3/4 cup milk
      3 Tbsp butter
      1/4 cup yellow corn meal
      2 cups all purpose flour
      1 Tbsp baking powder
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/4 cup club soda

Directions

In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
      In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
      Stir in club soda and milk/butter mixture until dough forms a ball. Take care not to overwork dough. Cover and let stand while preparing soup.

For the soup:

3 boneless chicken breasts
      2 quarts chicken stock
      1/2 cup diced carrots
      1 medium onion, diced
      2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
      1 sprig fresh thyme
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1 bay leaf
      2 Tbsp butter
      1 cup diced white button mushrooms
      1/2 cup frozen green peas
      salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions

In a 4-quart saucepan bring chicken stock to a simmer.
      Add chicken, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and dash of salt.
      Return to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through and carrots are tender.
      Remove chicken breasts and cut into bite-size pieces.
      Remove bay leaf and thyme sprig.
      Add chicken back to soup.
      While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a small skillet and add mushrooms. Saute just until mushrooms begin to release their moisture.
      Add the mushrooms and green peas to soup. Return to a simmer.
      Drop dumpling dough by teaspoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
      Serve in soup bowls and feel all that love and comfort.

Emeril's Comfort For the Coast Finalists.  Chicken and dumplings and homemade chicken soup are two of my family's favorite comfort foods. This recipe combines them both.
  • Chicken Tortilla Soup (katiesmom2)
    • 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2" strips
      1 sm. onion, chopped
      1 clove garlic, crushed
      2 tbsp. vegetable oil
      1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained
      2 cans chicken broth
      1 can beef broth
      2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
      3 (6 3/4 oz.) cans chunk style chicken or 1-1 1/2 lb. cooked cubed chicken
      1 c. water
      2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
      1 tsp. ground cumin less or more to taste
      1 tsp. chili powder less or more to taste
      12 oz. Velveeta cheese

Saute onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and tortilla strips; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. Add cheese and tortilla strips; simmer uncovered until cheese melts.
  • Chili Dog Chili (butterflylady)
    • Makes enough to top 6 hot dogs.

2 garlic cloves, mince
      1/2 cup onion, chop fine
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      1 lb lean ground beef
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
      1 tablespoon yellow mustard
      1 tablespoon vinegar
      1/2 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
      1/4 cup ketchup
      1/2 to 1 cup tomato juice

In a large heavy skillet cook garlic and onion in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened.

Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up any lumps with a fork, until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat if desired.

Add remaining ingredients,
      adding just enough juice to create a very loose but not soupy mixture. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
  • Italian Wedding Soup (oceantown)
    • 1 egg, slightly beaten
      1 pound ground beef
      1 cup plain dry bread crumbs (part Parmesan cheese, about 2 Tablespoons)
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 teaspoon basil
      1/4 teaspoon oregano
      1/4 teaspoon marjoram
      1/4 teaspoon sage
      2 Tablespoons olive oil
      5 cups chicken broth
      1 cup water
      1 1/2 cups pastina or other small pasta
      1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained

1. In large bowl, combine egg, ground beef, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Mix well. Shape tiny meatballs, about marble size.
      2. In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or to desired doneness, turning frequently to brown on all sides. Drain. Set aside.
      3. In large saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low. Add meatballs, pastina and spinach. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serves 8.
  • Jewel's Cheesy Chicken Chowder (CookieJewel)
    • 5 cups Chicken Broth
      4 cups diced potatoes
      2 cups diced celery
      2 cups diced carrots
      2 cups diced onion
      1/3 cup butter or margarine
      1/3 cup all purpose flour
      3 cups whole milk
      3 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
      2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
      1 tsp crushed red pepper, ground (coffee grinder)
      ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
      1 lb Velveeta OR 3 cups shredded cheddar
      Fresh chives (optional)

In a large stock pot combine chicken broth, potatoes, celery, carrots and onion. Cover and bring to a slow boil for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter, add flour, and whisk until smooth. Let simmer for one minute, then increase heat to medium. Stir mixture constantly while gradually adding milk. Continue to stir
      until thick and bubbly.

Add milk mixture to vegetables. Add soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and cayenne. Gently stir in cheese, and continue to stir until completely melted. Add chicken, heat thoroughly, and serve garnished with fresh
      chives.
  • Oven Bean Soup (teachg3)
    • 1 ham bone
      1 pound of ham, chunked or cubed
      1 pound of mixed dried beans(I don't soak mine)
      3 quarts water
      2 stalks celery, chopped
      2 carrots, chopped
      1 onion, chopped
      1 8 oz. tom. sauce

Combine all in Dutch oven, mixing well (including the spice packet from the beans). Cover and put in 325 degree oven for 4 - 4 and 1/2 hours, or till desired consistency. Easy and good!
  • Roundup Chili (Soushi24)
    • 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
      1 28 ounces can tomatoes undrained and cutup
      3 1/2 cups water
      2 16 ounce cans kidney beans undrained
      1 6 ounce tomato paste
      2-3 stalks celery
      1 onion chopped
      green pepper chopped to taste
      1 tablespoon chili powder
      Salt and pepper

Brown ground beef with onion in a 4 quart dutch oven add the rest of the ingredients.
      Simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
  • Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup (fuzzbe2000)
    • 2 pounds ground beef
      1 can tomato sauce (28 oz)
      1-28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning)
      2 cups COOKED rice
      2 cups chopped green bell pepper (I used 3 large)
      2 beef bouillon cubes (I used 'Better than Bullion')
      1/4 cup packed brown sugar
      1 t. salt (or to taste)
      1/2 t. pepper (or to taste)

In a large saucepan or dutch oven brown beef, drain. Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT rice, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, add rice and simmer for about another 30 minutes.

This makes a really thick soup.
  • Taco Soup (GracieGirl)
    • 2 lbs ground beef
      1 large onion - chopped
      1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
      1-16 ounce can pinto beans
      1-16 ounce can black beans
      1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
      1-10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
      1-16 ounce can kidney beans
      2-7 ounce cans white shoepeg corn (undrained)
      2 envelopes taco seasoning mix
      Taco cheese - finely grated
      Tortilla chips - crushed

Brown the ground beef and onions.  Add the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese and tortilla chips.  If soup seems to thick, add 1 cup water. 

Simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes.

Serve into bowls and top with cheese and chips.
  • Taco Soup (olive610)
    • 1 large onion, chopped
      1 package taco seasoning mix
      2 cups whole kernel corn
      1 can chicken broth
      1 can black beans
      1 can white beans
      1 can fat-free refried beans
      1 can diced tomatoes, (Mexican flavor)
      1 can diced tomatoes, (any flavor)

Sauté onions. Add all other ingredients. Simmer 1 hour.

Note: Don't drain the beans. Drain the corn if you use canned, but fresh or frozen is better.

This soup will stick to the bottom of the pan if you cook it at too high a temperature.
  • Tortilla Soup (Georgie)
    • 1 med Onion -- chopped
      2 clove Garlic -- minced
      1 cup Celery -- chopped
      3 Tbsp Oil
      6 cup Chicken Broth
      2 cup Picante Sauce
      32 oz Tomatoes -- canned
      2 Limes
      2 cup Chicken -- cooked
      2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
      6 oz Tomato Puree
      1 Avocado
      6 Corn Tortillas
      1/2 cup Cheese
      3 Tbsp Cilantro -- (optional)
      Sour Cream -- for garnish

Saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add all the remaining
      ingredients except the tortillas, cheese, and cilantro. Simmer 30 minutes.
      Cut tortillas into strips and simmer 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top
      with cheese. Other options are to top with avocado, cilantro, and a dollop
      of sour cream.

The serving size for this recipe is 6 but it can be doubled or tripled to suit your needs.

Notes: I add a handful of broad leaf parsley. I use 2 quarts of chicken broth. I add a sm can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos or chopped green chilies. I can't remember the brand but they do all sorts of things with chopped tomatoes. I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from Costco or Public's . I use the whole 8oz of tomato puree - it comes in an 8oz can.
  • Wendy's Chili (CubbysMom)
    • 2 lb. ground beef
      One (29-oz) can tomato sauce
      One (29-oz) can kidney beans (with liquid)
      One (29-oz) can pinto beans (with liquid)
      1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
      1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
      1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
      3 med tomatoes, chopped
      2 teas cumin powder
      3 Tbls chili powder
      1 1/2 teas black pepper
      2 teas salt
      2 cups water

Brown ground beef in a skillet over med heat & drain off the fat.

Using a fork, crumble cooked beef to pea-size pieces.

In a large pot, combine beef & all remaining ingredients.

Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 mins, for 2 to 3 hours.

top with chopped onion & cheddar cheese

Tidbits

Spicier chili, add 1/2 teas more black pepper.
      Much spicier chili, add 1 teas black pepper & 1 Tbls cayenne pepper.
      Stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.
      Leftovers can be frozen for several mos.
  • White Chicken Chili (hollee)
    • 1 large onion, chopped
      1 tablespoon vegetable oil
      1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
      2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
      1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies (undrained)
      1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
      2 teaspoons ground cumin
      2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
      1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In large saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.

Add chicken and cook until no longer pink.

Add chicken broth, green chilies, jalepeno, and cumin; heat to a boil.

Simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Stir in beans and cilantro; heat through.

Use more or less jalapenos according to your taste. I usually dump all ingredients in a crockpot and slow cook for a few hours. If you do it in a crockpot, don't add the cilantro until a few minutes before you're ready to serve.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

A tip for all chili lovers: My best recipe ever comes from a package of 2 Alarm Chili mix.  All the basic ingredients are in separate packages.  That way you  can customize the chili and if you measure the ingredients in the packets as you make it the first time and write it down you can make it from your pantry.  You make it as hot or not as you like.

I have made it so often I can just measure in my hand!  You need a chili powder like Williams, McCormick or whatever you like, but also add spices, salt, tomato and even a little corn meal (I have even used a little cornbread mix sometimes or leave it out because it is a thickener).  I make it with very lean ground turkey now and add beef broth for the liquid

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

How nice of you to take the time to post all of these great recipes and generously provide the names of people who originally posted the recipe. I can't wait try some of the soups.

Edited to add...didn't see all the appetizer and dip recipes. You are really quite generous with your time. Thank you for sharing all of these.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@ceekay wrote:

I did the same thing as @Nightowlz and copied all the Hollee recipes before she took her site down.  My folders look pretty much the same.  Here is a link for older Lilbitmissty recipes.  I am sure there are many more since 2015.  I know she does not post frequently but it is always nice when she pops up.  

Old Lilbitmissty recipes from Q forums 2015 

@ceekay 

Thanks for posting those. I have them now. As far as I know all the recipes I copied from Hollee's site are no longer available online?

@Nightowlz   When the site was gone, the recipes were gone. Hollee did a phenomenal job organizing that webpage.  I was going to say trying to post all the recipes would be a Herculean task but I see you have given it a try with the appetizers.  The index file I have has 23 pages of recipes so not an insignificant amount.  Good luck if you continue the effort to post the recipes.  

Here is a little background on the now defunct recipe site if anyone is curious.  https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Hollee-s-Site-with-a-Recipe-Swap-Collection/m-p/1922528#M33885 

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@ceekay wrote:

I did the same thing as @Nightowlz and copied all the Hollee recipes before she took her site down.  My folders look pretty much the same.  Here is a link for older Lilbitmissty recipes.  I am sure there are many more since 2015.  I know she does not post frequently but it is always nice when she pops up.  

Old Lilbitmissty recipes from Q forums 2015 

@ceekay 

Thanks for posting those. I have them now. As far as I know all the recipes I copied from Hollee's site are no longer available online?

@Nightowlz   When the site was gone, the recipes were gone. Hollee did a phenomenal job organizing that webpage.  I was going to say trying to post all the recipes would be a Herculean task but I see you have given it a try with the appetizers.  The index file I have has 23 pages of recipes so not an insignificant amount.  Good luck if you continue the effort to post the recipes.  

Here is a little background on the now defunct recipe site if anyone is curious.  https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Hollee-s-Site-with-a-Recipe-Swap-Collection/m-p/1922528#M33885 

@ceekay 

It looks like the cookies/candy folder is the largest so would have to copy paste so many at a time. The other 2 I posted I was able to click on select all & paste here since the file was not large. 

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

How nice of you to take the time to post all of these great recipes and generously provide the names of people who originally posted the recipe. I can't wait try some of the soups.

Edited to add...didn't see all the appetizer and dip recipes. You are really quite generous with your time. Thank you for sharing all of these.

@kate2357 

Thank you. It only took a few mins to select all copy & paste here.

The cookies/candy folder is too large so will have to copy paste so many recipes at a time. 

Hope it's ok to post so many at a time?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

I don't know why it would not be ok to post. I think there are many of us who may not have seen some of these the first time and really enjoy seeing them now. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."