Honored Contributor

Recipe for extra crispy fish batter

I have some halibut that I want to fry in a batter.I have tried a few recipes but none of the batters stay crisp for long.Any good recipes or tips would make my day...thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Recipe for extra crispy fish batter

[ Edited ]

@dex  Following is the recipe I use for cod fillets.   

My Crispy Fried Fish
For 2 servings:
2 Wild caught Atlantic cod fillets (1/3 lb. per serving is sufficient)
~ 1 pint Buttermilk 
~ 1/4 cup cornstarch 
~ ½ cup all-purpose flour  
pinch salt
~1/4 - ½ teaspoon baking powder 
~ 6 oz. Lager beer, chilled 
Crisco Vegetable Oil 

Cover thawed cod fillets with cold buttermilk, keep chilled about an hour. Discard buttermilk. Dry fish with paper towels.

Heat 3/4 - 1" of vegetable oil in a deep skillet until a piece of white bread dropped in it turns golden brown within a minute or two. (Thermometer = 375º)

Meanwhile, dredge both sides of fillets in cornstarch.

Batter: Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a pie plate. Stir in cold beer to form a batter. Add cod fillets, turning to coat both sides.

Carefully place away from you, the battered cod into the oil. Fry, turning once, about 7-8 minutes total time.

Drain on paper towels.

Edited to fix wonky spacing.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Thanks I will try it...does the beer make it crispy?

Super Contributor

I sometimes add some dry potato flakes to my seasoned flour & corn meal mixture.  I first dip the fish in a mixture of egg and milk, then in the dry ingredient mixture before frying.   I have also added panko crumbs to the seasoned flour/cornmeal mixture.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with adding panko (Japanese bread crumbs) to your breading mixture.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The beer would give flavor, but I'd say the crispy part comes from the flour and proper temperature of the oil.

Honored Contributor

I use the classic breading method rather than a batter. I start out with the fillets as dry as I can get them, then dust them lightly with flour, then they go into an egg dip of a beaten egg with salt and pepper added to taste. From there they go into a dish of finely ground panko breadcrumbs. (I find the panko straight from the box is a bit coarser than I like, so I grind it up in my Ninja to a finer texture. It still retains the crispness and gives a better coating.)  After being thoroughly coated in the panko I then place it in the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour or more for everything to set up. If you want an extra crispy coating you can repeat the egg dip and panko a second or even a third time, but one coat is adequate for me.

If you go for the multiple coatings, refrigerate 

the fish a bit between coatings to let the first layer set up before adding additional layers, otherwise you may have the first layer get pulled off by the additonal layers. I've been intrigued about the idea of using different coatings on multiple layers in the past, but I've never tried that approach. In addition to the panko I like the OTC ground oyster cracker crumbs as a coating (hard to find locally these days) and having one layer of cracker crumb and a layer of panko might be pretty neat and give a super crunchy texture. Corn flake crumbs might also work in that context. A multilayered coating could be interesting to see as well as taste.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Thanks I will try it...does the beer make it crispy?

Adding baking SODA will make it crisp.

I use only plain flour plus baking soda and enough beer to make a batter.

(I always have beer around for this and for marinades, etc)

Omit any salt until you are finished frying, baking soda is SALTY.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if this is what your want for your halibut, but I use it with tilapia and it's the best I've found.

Long John Silvers Fish Recipe

Author: Stephanie Manley
Recipe Type:copycat
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6

You can make this top secret copycat recipe for Long John Silvers Fish at home.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds cod sliced into 3 ounce pieces (you can use other types of fish)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 16 ounces club soda ( I use seltzer)
  • Oil for frying

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Oh @house_cat thanks so much for that LJS recipe as they are my all time fave rave!  Thank you my friend!