Honored Contributor

Please help me --- need simple recipes for low salt and sodium food

I am not much of a cook --- I will be the first to admit this --- so I am asking for your help!

I am trying to help come up with ideas for soups, and things to fix my mother who is not well and has to eat low salt and low sodium things.

She is a very picky eater.  She wants to eat salty things like stir fry, lunch meats, canned soups, etc.

She does not like hot and/or spicy foods.

Do you have any fairly easy recipes for soups, salads, entrees, etc. --- anything really, that might fit the bill?  Also, tips on where to go on-line for help?

I appreciate your help so much!!!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Please help me --- need simple recipes for low salt and sodium food

Hi, AngelPuppy1,  Hope you Mom feels better,  I wish I could help more but I'm not much of a cook either.  I love my salt.  I don't like spice.  I DO like tangy.  Can she have Vinegar? pickles and sourkraut and things like that?  I like really aged balsamic vinegar. The older the better. when I eat a salad, i dip the tines of my fork in the balsamic then spear a veggie.  Healthy choice soup is passable.  maybe a grilled cheese with low salt cheese and a little salted butter on the outside of the toasty part.  Wean her off the salt.  get Low salt and no salt potato chips and mix them. If she's so used to salt than everything is going to taste bland . thats where the vinegar can help.  Hope you get lots of good ideas.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  If you Google  Low Sodium Recipes a ton of them come up.  However, I clicked on the Low Sodium Recipes link from All Recipes (which came up when I Googled it) and there are over 3,000 low salt recipes to choose from.  

Hope this helps. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Contributor

If your mom is restricted because of hypertension issues, it is extremely important to keep the sodium levels down. It takes a while to adjust but it can be done. Salt is hidden in everything so home made is best. McCormick's makes Perfect Pinch. They use this seasoning in the hospital. It can be used during cooking or after. My go to are grilled or poached chicken breasts. Poaching in a flavorful liquid without added salt might be a solution to the deli chicken for, sandwiches, Either slice or make chicken salad. I believe you can find very low sodium stock for soups. They have to be better than the low sodium soups which ate pretty bad in my experience. You might try Penzeys for all sorts of seasonings.They are on line and you can read detailed info on all they offer which is a lot. Their prices are good and service as well. Goid luck!

New Contributor

Try the Maine Coast Sea Seasonings. seaweed based seasonings way better than salt

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Hi, AngelPuppy1,  Hope you Mom feels better,  I wish I could help more but I'm not much of a cook either.  I love my salt.  I don't like spice.  I DO like tangy.  Can she have Vinegar? pickles and sourkraut and things like that?  I like really aged balsamic vinegar. The older the better. when I eat a salad, i dip the tines of my fork in the balsamic then spear a veggie.  Healthy choice soup is passable.  maybe a grilled cheese with low salt cheese and a little salted butter on the outside of the toasty part.  Wean her off the salt.  get Low salt and no salt potato chips and mix them. If she's so used to salt than everything is going to taste bland . thats where the vinegar can help.  Hope you get lots of good ideas.

Please don't serve your mother sauerkraut.  It is NOT made with vinegar.  It is made by brining cabbage in salt, lots of salt.  Most pickles are salty too.

Honored Contributor

If your mom was told by a physician to limit her salt because of a diagnosis, or because of meds she's taking, you need to put the burden on her health care professional to give you alternatives.

People need salt.    Low salt is dangerous unless you are under a doctors care.

Common table salt is sodium chloride, you could substitute potassium chloride.   Find products in the spice section labeled "salt substitute".    Then check the label for potassium chloride.

Be careful with this.

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am not much of a cook --- I will be the first to admit this --- so I am asking for your help!

I am trying to help come up with ideas for soups, and things to fix my mother who is not well and has to eat low salt and low sodium things.

She is a very picky eater.  She wants to eat salty things like stir fry, lunch meats, canned soups, etc.

She does not like hot and/or spicy foods.

Do you have any fairly easy recipes for soups, salads, entrees, etc. --- anything really, that might fit the bill?  Also, tips on where to go on-line for help?

I appreciate your help so much!!!!!!  

Trusted Contributor

Is a trip to the book store possible?  American Heart Association and quite a few others publish cook books with many really good and diverse recipes.  Got a couple after husband's heart attack.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

These are my two go to recipe sources:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/18457/nutrient-focused-diets/low-sodium/low-carb/

Just choose which type of meal you're looking for-

http://www.cookinglight.com/search/site/low%20sodium?f[0]=bundle%3Arecipe_tout

Prevention has some good resources too.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Also check out Penzeys salt-free seasoning blends.

These are popular ones-

Product.DisplayName

Arizona Dreaming is simply a delicious all-purpose coming together of spices. The flavors of South of the Border combined in the ways that Americans love so much. Great for just about everything, use frequently to season: vegetables, rice, beans, beef, pork, scrambled huevos, ground turkey, cheese, salad dressings. Free from salt.

Hand-mixed from: ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, spices, cumin, citric acid, Mexican oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeño, cocoa and natural smoke flavoring.

Product.DisplayName

California Seasoned Pepper is one of our oldest and most popular salt-free seasonings. The robust flavor of red and green bell peppers and black pepper together seasons fully without salt. California Seasoned Pepper is perfect for meat and poultry, especially grilled or broiled steak, hamburgers, pork chops or chicken, rub on 1 tsp. per pound before cooking. Add a bit to gravy, stew, or a roast to combat blandness.

Hand-mixed from: Tellicherry black pepper, red and green bell pepper, onion and garlic.

Product.DisplayName

Mural of Flavor blends over a dozen spices and herbs, creating a wall (hence mural) of flavor so delicious, there's no need to add salt. Inspired by the rich and mouth-watering flavors of the western Mediterranean, Mural of Flavor is wonderfully versatile. Try it on chicken, fish, pork and beef. Add it to soups, rice and potatoes. Shake it over sliced tomatoes, corn, popcorn and scrambled eggs.

Hand-mixed from: spices, shallots, onion, garlic, lemon peel, citric acid, chives and orange peel.

Product.DisplayName

(Salt-Free Lemon-Pepper) The bestselling of all our salt-free blends. Perfect for fish and chicken, vegetables and salads. Salt-free blends are strong, start with less.

Hand-mixed from: black pepper, citric acid, lemon peel, garlic and onion.