Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Recipe Ideas For Lent Please?

[ Edited ]

Ash Wednesday is March 1st. 

Please share your favorite recipes. Thank you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe Ideas For Lent Please?

[ Edited ]
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

You don't have to eat fish, just abstain from meat. When was fish a requirement? I'm 68 and don't recall a fish requirement!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

648053.jpg

Tuna Melts

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread

1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced

1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained

2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

1 cup mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 

In a mixing bowl, combine sweet onion, drained tuna, mozzarella, and mayonnaise. Mix thoroughly.

Spread tuna mixture on slices of French bread to form a sandwich. Place sandwiches on a cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.

We also use to have pancakes, waffles, homemade mac 'n cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, and cheese pizza.

"If you judge people, you have no time to Love them." Mother Teresa
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Vegetarians are a great source unless you have given up eggs, and the Vegans are loaded with meat and dairy alternatives.

Poodlepet2

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovemygrands wrote:

You don't have to eat fish, just abstain from meat. When was fish a requirement? I'm 68 and don't recall a fish requirement!

@lovemygrands

I apologize for the wording I used in my post. You're right with what you wrote. I changed the post to reflect this. 

Thank you kindly.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

lovemygrands......ok, so we (Catholics) know fish is not a requirement....it is to abstain from meat on Fridays....your comment was not necessary.  Thought at 68 you would understand the intent of message.

butterfly123....hope we see some non-meat recipes....always looking for new ideas.  I fix fish, soup and sandwiches or Paula Deen's Tuna Burgers.....or better yet, go out!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always was taught Fish and Eggs was Ok for Lent. Just no Meat. I eat Tuna Salad for Lent. Growing up we ate Cottage Cheese and Doritos. I now eat Cottage Cheese with Fruit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have no lenten restrictions, but fish is so reasonable during lent so I'll make scallops au gratin and baked fish with a black bean salsa topping.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm making this on Friday to take to my son and dil's. They gave up meat for lent. It looks good. I hope it taste good too!

http://damndelicious.net/2015/03/07/creamy-spinach-and-mushroom-lasagna/

ay!

Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

This is sure to become a family favorite. Best of all, it’s freezer-friendly and can also be made ahead of time!

Ingredients:
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 1 (15-ounce) package whole milk ricotta
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the sauce
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
  3. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano and nutmeg until fragrant, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
  4. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
  5. Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish; top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat with a second layer. Top with remaining noodles, mushroom sauce and cheeses.*
  6. Place into oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bubbling. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until top is browned in spots. Let cool 15 minutes.
  7. Serve, garnished with parsley, if desired.

*MAKE-AHEAD: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

*TO FREEZE: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Freeze up to 3 months. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 90 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran