Honored Contributor

Recipe Ideas For Lent Please?

[ Edited ]

Ash Wednesday is March 1st. 

Please share your favorite recipes. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe Ideas For Lent Please?

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

You don't have to eat fish, just abstain from meat. When was fish a requirement? I'm 68 and don't recall a fish requirement!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

648053.jpg

Tuna Melts

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread

1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced

1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained

2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

1 cup mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 

In a mixing bowl, combine sweet onion, drained tuna, mozzarella, and mayonnaise. Mix thoroughly.

Spread tuna mixture on slices of French bread to form a sandwich. Place sandwiches on a cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.

We also use to have pancakes, waffles, homemade mac 'n cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, and cheese pizza.

Respected Contributor

Vegetarians are a great source unless you have given up eggs, and the Vegans are loaded with meat and dairy alternatives.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

You don't have to eat fish, just abstain from meat. When was fish a requirement? I'm 68 and don't recall a fish requirement!

@Love my grandkids

I apologize for the wording I used in my post. You're right with what you wrote. I changed the post to reflect this. 

Thank you kindly.

Honored Contributor

lovemygrands......ok, so we (Catholics) know fish is not a requirement....it is to abstain from meat on Fridays....your comment was not necessary.  Thought at 68 you would understand the intent of message.

butterfly123....hope we see some non-meat recipes....always looking for new ideas.  I fix fish, soup and sandwiches or Paula Deen's Tuna Burgers.....or better yet, go out!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always was taught Fish and Eggs was Ok for Lent. Just no Meat. I eat Tuna Salad for Lent. Growing up we ate Cottage Cheese and Doritos. I now eat Cottage Cheese with Fruit.

Honored Contributor

We have no lenten restrictions, but fish is so reasonable during lent so I'll make scallops au gratin and baked fish with a black bean salsa topping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm making this on Friday to take to my son and dil's. They gave up meat for lent. It looks good. I hope it taste good too!

http://damndelicious.net/2015/03/07/creamy-spinach-and-mushroom-lasagna/

ay!

Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

This is sure to become a family favorite. Best of all, it’s freezer-friendly and can also be made ahead of time!

Ingredients:
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 1 (15-ounce) package whole milk ricotta
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the sauce
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
  3. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano and nutmeg until fragrant, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
  4. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
  5. Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish; top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat with a second layer. Top with remaining noodles, mushroom sauce and cheeses.*
  6. Place into oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bubbling. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until top is browned in spots. Let cool 15 minutes.
  7. Serve, garnished with parsley, if desired.

*MAKE-AHEAD: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

*TO FREEZE: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Freeze up to 3 months. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 90 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran