Honored Contributor

A few weeks ago, I got a Vegetarian Times email with recipes for vegetable sandwiches using guac, hummus, and similar as spreads and cucumbers, avocados, tomatoes, etc. for filling.   They recommended using "artisan" bread.  I've been trying various combinations.  

I grabbed some stuff out of the fridge and made a delish sandwich - and added some sliced meat that I picked up at the deli.  (I forgot to pick up the bread when I was at the deli .. so I used what I had on hand.)

Two slices of Levy's seedless rye 

Spread red pepper hummus on both sides

Couple of slices of corned beef (from deli)

Thin slices of cucumber *

Side of home made coleslaw.

Bottle of water

---------------------------------

Dessert will be the rest of the coffee ice cream.  I save a little last night to have for lunch today.

* the cucumbers should be marinated ... but I didn't have time for that.  Rice wine vinegar, a bit of canola oil. honey and basil makes a great marinade for cucumbers.

Honored Contributor

Could not,would not eat any of those things except the rye bread.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

A veggie sub would taste so good.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the corned beef on rye part with the side of coleslaw!! I would have put deli mustard on that. Yum 😋!!

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Could not,would not eat any of those things except the rye bread.

She obviously loved her lunch.  Why post such a reply?

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds pretty good to me @ALRATIBA.  I've just recently discoverd red pepper hummus and I absolutely LOVE it.  

Super Contributor

Corned beef - loaded with sodium nitrate. NO thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Sounds pretty good to me @ALRATIBA.  I've just recently discoverd red pepper hummus and I absolutely LOVE it.  

@Citrine1

My favorite is the green olive hummus ... but the supermarket was all out - so I picked up a couple of the red pepper.  It is GOOD!

Doritos and red pepper hummius is fab!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip @ALRATIBA.  I'll look for the green olive hummus on my next food shopping trip.