Trusted Contributor

Quick dinner - Italian Chicken Bake

My DIL gave me this recipe.  Not sure where she got it.  I made it tonight and it's good.  Quick, easy, tasty.  I added some garlic powder, omitted the bacon.  Next time I will add more veggies and cheese, maybe bacon bits.  Not bad for a quick, tasty supper.

baked-Italian-chicken-and-vegetables-6.jpg

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon basil , dried
¼ teaspoon salt
1 zucchini , sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes , yellow and red, mixed, each sliced in half
½ can artichoke hearts , sliced
6 slices bacon , cooked, drained, chopped (OPTIONAL)
1 cup Mozzarella cheese , shredded

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Add chicken breasts to the white casserole pan.
Sprinkle dried basil and salt over the chicken.
Top with sliced zucchini, sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced artichokes.
Top with chopped bacon.
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake for about 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from the oven.
Let the Italian chicken sit in the casserole dish for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the meat to cook through completely.
Notes:
Use regular chicken breasts or half each chicken breast in half. The total baking time should be about 20-30 minutes. It will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.

Reheat the leftovers in the preheated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Or, reheat in the microwave oven for 1 minute.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick dinner - Italian Chicken Bake

Thank you @LdyBugz !  I will make this! 🥰

Trusted Contributor

@Skyegirl21 You're welcome!  Hope you like it!

Honored Contributor

I'd love to try this recipe but no stores in my area carry real cherry tomatoes. They all carry sweet tiny tomatoes. I'm in a big city with many chains and no stores have them. Neither does Amazon Fresh. I'm not sure about Walmart. I'll be checking that next. Target doesn't have them here either. 

Honored Contributor

I'd love to try this recipe but no stores in my area carry real cherry tomatoes. They all carry sweet tiny tomatoes. I'm in a big city with many chains and no stores have them. I usually shop at Publix and they do not carry them.  Neither does Amazon Fresh. I'm not sure about Walmart. I'll be checking that next. Target doesn't have them here either. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  I used grape tomatoes for this recipe and they were fine.  I'm not a big tomato connoiseur so the difference in taste and sweetness between cherry vs. grape isn't a big deal to me.

Actually, I think just about any variety of tomato would be fine for this.  Obviously not green tomatoes, but roma or any cut up larger variety would work.  Romas are meatier than others, but the zukes should render enough moisture so that the chicken isn't dry.  You could always add a little water or veggie broth to the pan if you are concerned.  This dish is not intended to be saucey though.

Honored Contributor

This totally fits our way of eating.  I'll definitely be trying it one of these days - maybe Friday.  Thanks for sharing, @LdyBugz 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I'd love to try this recipe but no stores in my area carry real cherry tomatoes. They all carry sweet tiny tomatoes. I'm in a big city with many chains and no stores have them. I usually shop at Publix and they do not carry them.  Neither does Amazon Fresh. I'm not sure about Walmart. I'll be checking that next. Target doesn't have them here either. 

Cherry tomatoes range in size from a thumbtip up to the size of a golf ball, and can range from spherical to slightly oblong in shape. Although usually red, other colours such as orange, yellow, green, purple, and black also exist.[3] Those shaped like an oblong share characteristics with plum tomatoes and are known as grape tomatoes.

per Wikipedia

Valued Contributor

@LdyBugz Thank you for posting this!  I am going to definitely give this a try.  It sounds so tasty.

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz  we had this today.  I made a few minor adjustments - cubed the raw chicken before putting it in the pan, added more zucchini, and added some minced garlic.  DH and I enjoyed it and I will make it again,  Next time I'll probably amp up the seasoning (maybe use an Italian blend), add more garlic, bake with foil covering the pan and I'll probably wait to add the cheese til closer to the end of the baking time and add a sprinkle of Parmesan too.

I really liked that it is a mix of all clean foods and very filling for a very low net carb count and a good amount of protein.