Frequent Contributor

Quick Tomato Sauce (America's Test Kitchen)

Source:  The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook,, 3d ed., (2010) page 209

A co-worker told me about this recipe and said it was better than sauce in a jar.  
I have made it several times and we love it!  Instead of diced tomatoes, I use all crushed tomatoes.

3 T extra-virgin olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

1 (14.5) can diced tomatoes

3 T minced fresh basil

1/4 t sugar 

salt

1.  Cook the oil and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.  Stir in the crushed and diced tomatoes with their juice.  Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.

2.  Stir in the basil and sugar.  Season with salt to taste.  When tossing the sauce with pasta, add some of the pasta cooking water as needed to loosen the consistency of the sauce.

Test Kitchen Tips:

If you simmer a simple tomato sauce (one without meat) for much longer than 20 minutes, you actually cook out the flavor.

Do not scorch the garlic.  As soon as the garlic smells fragrant, add the tomatoes to the pot.

Hope you love it as much as I do!

Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Tomato Sauce (America's Test Kitchen)

We bought the America's Test Kitchen cookbook. We tried the chicken dumpling recipe. It was so good. It did take quite awhile to make but was worth it.

I will try the recipe you posted. I can't wait to try it this summer with fresh tomatoes from our garden.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quick Tomato Sauce (America's Test Kitchen)

I’ve been making a similar sauce for many years. The only difference is I don’t use sugar at all & I brown beef,drain it, & add it to the other ingredients.This makes for a yummy meat sauce.Sometimes, I add cooked chopped sausage!!

My Italian husband loves it!!