Valued Contributor

I've been making 5 minute fudge (which actually takes much longer) FOR YEARS!!! -- (carnation evaporated milk- choc chips, vanilla, salt, mini-marshmallows) ---- but for the past year it hasn't been "setting up" firm- I went online and I see many complaints about this - but no explanations- Anyone else have this problem? 

Honored Contributor

I don't know, but something similar happened and I wondered, if to save money, if maybe the company didn't leave a little "extra" out of the old mix.  I mean, they shrunk down packages of I think cake mixes.  Probably some other things. But I've wondered on some of those things too.

Valued Contributor

Are you using "evaporated" milk or "condensed" milk?  .  Big difference.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I don't know, but something similar happened and I wondered, if to save money, if maybe the company didn't leave a little "extra" out of the old mix.  I mean, they shrunk down packages of I think cake mixes.  Probably some other things. But I've wondered on some of those things too.

Is it the kit or just the recipe like my mom used in the 60’s?

Honored Contributor

Re: 5 minute Fudge

[ Edited ]

Its been years since i made this recipe but I recall it being made with condensed milk.*

*I referenced the recipe.  Its called Mamie Eisenhower Fudge and it does call for evaporated milk.  All the versions I could find called for marshmallow creme, not mini marshmallows.  Don't know if that would make a difference.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm using the exact same recipe I always did on the same recipe card- I know some fudge recipes use sweetened condensed- but I'm no spring chicken- I KNOW the difference and been making it for YEARS!--- 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes- it's probably your mom's recipe made in the 60's-- not a mix. My recipe card is getting dog-earred by now! Check my picture of it below! 

Valued Contributor

No-- that is NOT the recipe I use- (check Carnation's website or even Nestle's) they both have almost identical recipes using mini marshmallows (3 cups) choc chips- vanilla- butter and the only difference i see it the amount of salt- It is called 5 Minute Fudge (but like i said- it takes more than 5 minutes)on occasion it require a bit  more milk and butter if it seemed "grainy" Fudge

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I inserted a pic of my recipe card- I measure the ingredients so no, it's not the size of the product package- don't know what's causing it but as I said- I've read that other people are having the same problem of it not setting up . (my grandkids don't care-they just dig in with a spoon! Smiley Happy but I'd like to know why it isn't solid like it used to be so i can cut it into squares.

Trusted Contributor

I found this recipe in my mom's recipe box after she passed.