Esteemed Contributor

ritasNo1Fan,

We must have posted about the same time; not sure if you are referring to the soup or the corn recipe but which ever, I hope you enjoy if you decide to make. Hope spring is starting to show herself in your area, and if not-soon!

~k~,

I always worry when I post a recipe if my tastes are in tune with others. I worry they put time and energy and money into a recipe we like but maybe they find awful. I am so pleased so many have tried this soup and took time to comment on it positively. Makes me feel more confident you will like it, too. And like you, I have never seen the potstickers in our SAM's either but will look again. I get overwhelmed with everything going on in the store sometimes!

It is chilly and raining here, too and would love to have this tonight but have an appointment this evening so will grab a bite out tonight. Is Harris Teeter a grocery store - it may be a local store or a regional store. Most of the grocers in our area are regional to the St. Louis area.

Stay warm-spring will be here.......someday!

Honored Contributor

Oh Mustang66lady, Thank you so much! It sounds divine! I just got my first Lodge cast iron skillet recently too!

I know you don't have Wegman's but they have their own brand of organic frozen corn that is just fantastic! I keep 3-4 bags in the freezer all the time. I would never even eat canned or frozen corn before I tried theirs. It even comes in a microwave steam bag if not using in a recipe.

When DH lands...ask him how long he smokes it and at what temp. if you would. I know DH is gonna ask me! He likes to follow directions (from others, not me! LOL)

k- Nice to see you post. I just know you are going to love this soup. It is even perfect in the summer because the broth is clear and the veggies are light like a stir fry! Not a heavy soup at all.

Chili-well HELLO neighbor! (close enuf) Syracuse rivals Buffalo in lovely weather! DH is a HUGE Orange Fan! Esp. a lifelong BB fan. Hey, why are they called Orangemen? We sure can't grow oranges up here! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

ChiliPepper,

I just typed out a response to you but it disappeared; I think I may have "timed out" on it. Yes, I have had to come up with some creative cooking to help clean out the freezer and I donated a lot of canned goods to the church pantry. I don't shop or stock like I used to with the girls all moved out now. DH has always traveled so it is me by myself most of the time now. Gone are the days when the girls would bring home friends and fellow starving college kids and I would have to supplement and stretch what we were having for dinner! Have you tried frying pickles? Don't know if you like them or not but there are many recipes for them, even for baked "fried" pickles. I have ate them, but have not made them. Of course, if those pickles you have are sweet, they probably wouldn't taste too good fried.....{#emotions_dlg.sad}

RespectLife,

I sent an email to DH. He said he smokes the corn casserole at 180 for at least 2 hours. We have one of the Masterbuilt smokers from the Q-probably one of the first versions offered. Hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/13/2015 mustang66lady said:

ritasNo1Fan,

We must have posted about the same time; not sure if you are referring to the soup or the corn recipe but which ever, I hope you enjoy if you decide to make. Hope spring is starting to show herself in your area, and if not-soon!

~k~,

I always worry when I post a recipe if my tastes are in tune with others. I worry they put time and energy and money into a recipe we like but maybe they find awful. I am so pleased so many have tried this soup and took time to comment on it positively. Makes me feel more confident you will like it, too. And like you, I have never seen the potstickers in our SAM's either but will look again. I get overwhelmed with everything going on in the store sometimes!

It is chilly and raining here, too and would love to have this tonight but have an appointment this evening so will grab a bite out tonight. Is Harris Teeter a grocery store - it may be a local store or a regional store. Most of the grocers in our area are regional to the St. Louis area.

Stay warm-spring will be here.......someday!

Your pot sticker soup! Weather here is very sultry, humid during the day, foggy nights. Very little rain. Lots of pollen. Thank u for asking!
Respected Contributor
On 3/12/2015 mustang66lady said:

Waving hello to everyone. I have been cleaning house all day and am exhausted!

RespectLife,

We don't have a Wegman's here but there are some bigger stores not far from where I live; may check in one of them to see if I am missing something. I am now wondering what "lite" sesame oil looks like and smells like. We all are really getting an education on this, aren't we?!

ChiliPepper,

I don't have much sesame oil left in my bottle and since I don't remember how old it is and it has been on the shelf, I am going to toss it. I didn't get to the store today so the soup will have to wait, probably until Saturday. That will at least give me time to investigate the mystery of the sesame oil and this time I am going to refrigerate it after it is opened!

Writer with Flair,

Thank you so much for taking time to comment on this thread! I keep trying to get DH to try Costco but to his defense, it is a little hike from where we live and would be passing by 2 SAM's in order to go there. If I ever do get him to go, the potstickers are on my list of things I want to try. Do they come in different flavors and if so, what is your favorite? And thank you for your ideas to create different "soups" from this basic recipe. I knew the ladies here would come up with some great ideas and they never fail to do so! So nice to meet you.

Hello Adore,

I'm so happy you and DH were able to get some much needed rest last night and that he felt well enough to get dressed-that is always a good sign. Hope he didn't over do things today, though. So tell us, what did he make you for breakfast?! My DH wouldn't have a clue how to make breakfast! He never used to cook other than grill and he wasn't very good at that, poor baby! I bought him a smoker and he fell in love with that and is quite good, inventing rubs and making different dishes in there. I asked him to take me to Penzey's in St. Louis and that really sent him off. The smell is incredible and the spices all smell so fresh. He can't wait to go and even will ask me from time to time, "Don't we need anything from Penzey's?" {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Cracks me up!

Hello CaliKat

I think you are correct about my sesame oil being toasted even though it doesn't specifically say it. I think it has a toasted fragrance to it. I am going to refrigerate my new bottle anyway just to be safe. I guess I was thinking "oil" and didn't even consider the fact I always store my sesame seeds in the freezer to keep them from becoming rancid. I didn't have a problem with my oil burning but I did have my "mise en place" ready so that may have played a part in avoiding that happening. Adoreqvc had a good idea in using peanut oil to avoid that problem, too.

Kay SD-hello!

We "spoke" a few times years ago when I posted more recipes-do you remember? What great ideas you have! We love shrimp here and I am agreeing with RespectLife, my soup may contain shrimp if I can find some that look good at my grocer. If not, will pick some up the next time I am at SAM's to have when I make it again! Thanks for posting your ideas!

Dear Mustang,

You are such a sweety to have taken the time to respond to each of us individually. What a gracious lady you are!

In answer to your question, Costco carried two flavors of the pot stickers/dumplings in the frozen food section when I bought my bag. I believe one was a pork and the other was a chicken. I got the chicken because I thought it would go with more stuff.

Keep in mind that Costcos in different parts of the country carry different items. Also, my Costco discontinues some of my favorite items from time to times. The good news is that they DO LISTEN when you fill in one of their customer comment cards. So, if your Costco doesn't have the pot stickers/dumplings, mention on the card that you know that Costco can get it because other stores in the chain have had it. They might just bring it in for you.

All the Best,

Writer with Flair

Trusted Contributor

I just noticed hot and sour soup base in the store yesterday. Love it, except for the high sodium content. Must learn to make it from scratch myself. But, it's another idea for anyone who can eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

ritasNo1Fan,

Sounds like spring may have passed you by and summer has started! Late spring thru early fall in this area can be very warm, humid, and can be dry or torrential downpours! Not the best climate for a curly haired girl like me! So if it gets cool enough for you to eat soup, hope you enjoy this one, even though RespectLife commented it was good in the summer also, because it is light. Have a good weekend!

Writher with Flair,

Well, thank you for your comments. I find it is much less stressful to be nice to people even if someone isn't nice to me. So many here have been so nice and enjoyable to visit with. Thank you for your comments re; the potstickers at Costco. We have a SAM's that is only about 10- 15 minute drive from us and went this morning. I scoured the place today and no, they did not have the potstickers that some on this board are able to purchase at theirs. Maybe if I put in a suggestion, they would carry them? I am still hoping one day to convince DH to give Costco a try though. The more he is cooking, the more adventurous he is becoming in shopping-I just don't think I have convinced him that they do carry different things than SAM's.

Hope you are enjoying some nice weather this weekend wherever you live.

Respected Contributor
On 3/14/2015 mustang66lady said:

ritasNo1Fan,

Sounds like spring may have passed you by and summer has started! Late spring thru early fall in this area can be very warm, humid, and can be dry or torrential downpours! Not the best climate for a curly haired girl like me! So if it gets cool enough for you to eat soup, hope you enjoy this one, even though RespectLife commented it was good in the summer also, because it is light. Have a good weekend!

Writher with Flair,

Well, thank you for your comments. I find it is much less stressful to be nice to people even if someone isn't nice to me. So many here have been so nice and enjoyable to visit with. Thank you for your comments re; the potstickers at Costco. We have a SAM's that is only about 10- 15 minute drive from us and went this morning. I scoured the place today and no, they did not have the potstickers that some on this board are able to purchase at theirs. Maybe if I put in a suggestion, they would carry them? I am still hoping one day to convince DH to give Costco a try though. The more he is cooking, the more adventurous he is becoming in shopping-I just don't think I have convinced him that they do carry different things than SAM's.

Hope you are enjoying some nice weather this weekend wherever you live.

Dear Mustang,
We used to have memberships to both Sam's Club and Costco. Over the years, Sam's Club kept discontinuing items we liked. Costco, on the other hand, started expanding their choices and have gotten more things we like and use such as organic packaged and fresh items. We also have found that the customer service at Costco is better and the check-out process is much faster than at SC. This is just my opinion.

You could also try Trader Joe's for the pot stickers, if you have one around. I haven't had a lot of things from that store, but the things that I have tried have been wonderful. I haven't tried their pot stickers, though.

Glad you are having some nice weather. We had some sunshine and some moderate temperatures. I am so ready for spring.

All the best,

The Writer with Flair

Honored Contributor

Hi and good Monday morning!

Thank you, Mustang, for getting that info for me! DH was trying to ask those questions as I was telling him I already asked you to find it out! LOL I know him pretty well.

I am going to make that corn casserole for Easter. I think it will taste wonderful with our smoked ham. I always order the Kansas City Spiral ham for Christmas and Easter. It is the only ham I have ever had that isn't salty. I know I can buy cheaper hams at Sam's but this ham is well worth the splurge and just an incredible hunk of pig, IMHO.

We upgraded our smoker last year and sold our original Masterbuilt. This one has the probe, window, remote etc. DH doesn't ask for much and the EZ pay made it manageable! He really wanted the gizmos with the new one! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon, RespectLife!

I have been gone running errands all day and have just a minute now! Oh my stars, we are sisters! We planned on having the corn casserole for Easter, too! While I have never ordered a ham from Kansas City, I do have a spiral cut ham from Aldi's in the freezer that we will be smoking! I always think ham is salty but do like these and DH loves them more than his prior favorite-Honeybaked Ham. So to make him happy and to use that ham, it will be Easter dinner! Nothing tastes like the ham we used to get from our friends, though. We live in the Midwest and have friends who used to raise hogs. The meat just tastes different. They have long since retired from raising hogs and now just have a few ducks, guineas, chickens and a couple of peacocks! Oh, and a bullfrog pond! ! Now we just get produce from them when in season!

I am not going to get to fix my traditional Irish dinner this year due some unforeseen things, so had to freeze my briskets. Still plan on fixing that soup of yours. DH is really looking forward to it! I may fix one of the briskets after Easter just to make the soup, have for sandwiches and maybe some hash.

Got to get moving again; hope you enjoy that casserole! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}