Respected Contributor

Quick Pickled Onions

[ Edited ]

Quick Pickled Red Onion 

(great on burgers, tacos, eggs, wraps, sandwiches, etc. You name it, goes with just about everything.. So tasty and versatile) 

• 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced very thin  (use mandolin or chef knife, I prefer halfmoon shapes for the onions instead of rounds, but choice is yours.) 
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1–2 tablespoons of sweetener (such as maple syrup, honey,  white sugar, etc.)

• Optional add-ins:  a few cloves of sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, a few peppercorns, dried herbs

• Heat the vinegar mixture. In a small saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, salt and your desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. (Or alternately, you can heat the mixture in the microwave.)
  • Combine in a jar. Place the thinly-sliced onions in a Mason Jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions, screw on the lid, and shake the onions briefly until they are evenly coated with the vinegar mixture.
  • Marinate. Let the onions marinate for 30 minutes. (You may need to press the onions down with a spoon so that they are all submerged under the vinegar mixture.)
  • Serve. Serve immediately, or refrigerate the onions in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Quick Pickled Red Onion 

(great on burgers, tacos, eggs, wraps, sandwiches, etc. You name it, goes with just about everything.. So tasty and versatile) 

• 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced very thin  (use mandolin or chef knife, I prefer halfmoon shapes for the onions instead of rounds, but choice is yours.) 
  • 1/4 cup water

• Optional add-ins:  a few cloves of sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, a few peppercorns, dried herbs

• Heat the vinegar mixture. In a small saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, salt and your desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. (Or alternately, you can heat the mixture in the microwave.)
  • Combine in a jar. Place the thinly-sliced onions in a Mason Jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions, screw on the lid, and shake the onions briefly until they are evenly coated with the vinegar mixture.
  • Marinate. Let the onions marinate for 30 minutes. (You may need to press the onions down with a spoon so that they are all submerged under the vinegar mixture.)
  • Serve. Serve immediately, or refrigerate the onions in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

Can you make this with white Valdaia onions? and what do you use them for? Sandwiches?

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Quick Pickled Red Onion 

• 1/4 cup water

Can you make this with white Valdaia onions? and what do you use them for? Sandwiches?

@HLP  Yes, vadalia onions will work as well.  Yellow onions will work as well.  The red onions just look prettier, but any onion will do.  You can use the onions on just about anything from sandwiches,  great with burgers, fish or fried fish sandwiches, grilled foods, on top of hot dogs, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, or as a side dish.  So many options.  They just add that extra little bit of acid to make the sandwich or whatever you're eating special. 

Respected Contributor

I love pickled onions! I like with pork carnitas, bbq pork and on broiled or baked fish, and anytime i crave acidity to cut through richness, like on chicken salad that doesnt have fruit in it or egg salad sandwiches. 

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella This sounds like something we will enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

It triggered an old memory. My grandmother would slice cucumbers and a mild onion and put them in a covered dish. She then covered the sliced cucumber and onion with white vinegar and placed it in the fridge overnight before serving. This is used like pickles for those who want to give it a try. I think sometimes she would add some cherry tomatoes and maybe a clove of garlic to give it a variety of tastes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pickled Onions

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

@ciao_bella This sounds like something we will enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

It triggered an old memory. My grandmother would slice cucumbers and a mild onion and put them in a covered dish. She then covered the sliced cucumber and onion with white vinegar and placed it in the fridge overnight before serving. This is used like pickles for those who want to give it a try. I think sometimes she would add some cherry tomatoes and maybe a clove of garlic to give it a variety of tastes.

@On It   Yes, it's very much the same as your grandmother's cucumber recipe.  It adds that little bit of acidity to make whatever you choose to eat it with extra  special and tasty.    I think you'll enjoy it.  

Honored Contributor

I make pickled onions with a sliced red onion, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love pickled onions, I am the only one in my family that likes them, but I will make a small batch for me.  I have also made them with pearl onions and topped them in a fresh garden salad....delicious...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It My BF still makes that recipe.  

I'm always seeing chefs on the Foodnetwork make quick pickled stuff and have never done it. 

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Quick Pickled Red Onion 

• 1/4 cup water

@HLP  Yes, vadalia onions will work as well.  Yellow onions will work as well.  The red onions just look prettier, but any onion will do.  You can use the onions on just about anything from sandwiches,  great with burgers, fish or fried fish sandwiches, grilled foods, on top of hot dogs, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, or as a side dish.  So many options.  They just add that extra little bit of acid to make the sandwich or whatever you're eating special. 

Thanks I'll do that today. I love onions and buy a box twice a year from Valdaia Ga