Trusted Contributor

I made Quinoa for the first time.  I made WAY too much.   How long can you store it in the refrigerator?

Also, can you re-heat it?    I was thinking of adding some sauteed fresh mushrooms and onions, but not sure how to re-heat it.

I enjoyed it very much.   I appreciate the advice.

Respected Contributor

I'm fairly new to Quinoa too.  A friend clued me in.  

It's easily re-heated in a microwave for a minute or two, or just add a splash of broth and reheat.  It's a great source of protein.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

In my experience, it does not last very long before going bad - unless you have added some sort of vinegarish ingredient. Soy sauce is great for that. Also, if you have made it as one would oatmeal, it may stay longer. BUT, in any situation, I have found that it needs to be consumed within 2 days of making it.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

You could put the extra in a ziplock bag and freeze it.

Trusted Contributor

@pas4116 wrote:

You could put the extra in a ziplock bag and freeze it.

I once tried that. It didn't do well. When it thawed it was one big pile of mush. :-(

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

I plan to have it again tomorrow night.   I thought I'd add it to a salad or cut up some veggies and eat it cold with a bit of Italian dressing.

I shouldn't have made so much, but it was the first time and I wasn't sure how it would cook.

Super Contributor

I love leftover quinoa thrown into my fresh mixed fruit. Toss in some raw nuts.delish!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Trusted Contributor

Quiinoa is great as a hot cereal or savory dish, or cold in a salad. I made it ysesterday and added some to marinara sauce, served over lightly sauteed zucchini noodles.

Regular Contributor

Try eating warm with fresh nutmeg, I eat it for breakfast this way.  Also throw in my salads. Great source of protein. Use in place of rice. I substitute quoina for rice when I make Spanish rice.  Albany had a good recipe on her blog back around May that I have been making.  Basically you process almonds, coconut,  and dates. Add in cooked quoina and roll into small bars.  Chill. She drizzles melted dark chocolate over. These are her version of a healthy almond joy candy bar.   I am allergic to chocolate so make without.  Healthy snack. 

Honored Contributor

I tried to like quinoa. I only eat healthy alternatives but this stuff is purely YUCKY! No thank you! More power to anyone who eats this stuff.

"Pure Michigan"