Trusted Contributor

Question for experienced cooks

I plan to make a chicken spaghetti casserole this week but since the weather is warmer I don't want to use my oven so will bake it in my slow cooker.  I plan to use the "high" setting for four hours.  Because of the length of time it will bake is it necessary to cook the spaghetti noodles first or can I just put them in the slow cooker raw with the chicken and all of the other ingredients?  I will probably break them in half or in fourths.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for experienced cooks

Never had great success using a slow cooker. I wouldn't fully cook the pasta, but I'd give it a short boil. 

Honored Contributor

The slow cooker generates moisture through condensation.  I'd be afraid the dish would be too soupy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would google for a similar recipe to make sure it's a good idea first.  Then you can adjust to your recipe.

Respected Contributor

I think I would put all the ingredients in the crockpot except the spaghetti. In the last hour I would add the uncooked spaghetti to the crockpot (break in half or fourths) and cook for the remaining time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a great recipe that is for chicken pasta and the noodles are cooked and then added to the pot right before serving.  I think if you add the pasta early, it will soak up all the liquid, and get overcooked.

My recipe says to add cooked at the very end.  It's really simple and amazing - just like you are at Olive Garden (for those that happen to like Olive Garden).

II'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@soonersis   I make a chicken, pasta dish in my slow cooker.  I use either boneless skinbless chicken  thighs or breasts, cook 4 hours on high with other ingredients then  add cooked pasta after the 4 hours and leave on warm until eating.   

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I have a great recipe that is for chicken pasta and the noodles are cooked and then added to the pot right before serving.

It's really simple and amazing - just like you are at Olive Garden (for those that happen to like Olive Garden).

This.

Honored Contributor

I definitely wouldn't cook the spaghetti first. 

I think it would be mush after 4 hours on high.

If it were me, I would leave it out of the crockpot completely and cook it separately.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I have a great recipe that is for chicken pasta and the noodles are cooked and then added to the pot right before serving.  I think if you add the pasta early, it will soak up all the liquid, and get overcooked.

My recipe says to add cooked at the very end.  It's really simple and amazing - just like you are at Olive Garden (for those that happen to like Olive Garden).

@CAcableGirl2    I've already sent your recipe to my sister and we both plan to make it soon.  Thanks! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment