Respected Contributor

Re: Question Re: Freezer Burn

@pattypeep wrote:

I froze a chuck roast in January and unwrapped it today to see how it looked. I can't really tell if it's freezer burned or not, but here's my question: At this point in time and if it has some freezer burn will that affect the tenderness or taste of the roast? I wouldn't worry too much if it was just for dh and myself, but I was hoping to invite the neighbors over because if's pretty good size. Wonder if I need to get a new roast?

I hope you tossed it. I just took out a rib eye steak out of the freezer from December, it was terrible!  I could smell it wasn't right when I had it in the frying pan (I sliced it thin on the slicer for steak sandwiches)

Please don't invite the neighbors unless it's a new piece of meat. I'm sure you don't want that reputation, hey she invited us over to get rid of this old piece of meat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling 

@Just Bling wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

I froze a chuck roast in January and unwrapped it today to see how it looked. I can't really tell if it's freezer burned or not, but here's my question: At this point in time and if it has some freezer burn will that affect the tenderness or taste of the roast? I wouldn't worry too much if it was just for dh and myself, but I was hoping to invite the neighbors over because if's pretty good size. Wonder if I need to get a new roast?

I hope you tossed it. I just took out a rib eye steak out of the freezer from December, it was terrible!  I could smell it wasn't right when I had it in the frying pan (I sliced it thin on the slicer for steak sandwiches)

Please don't invite the neighbors unless it's a new piece of meat. I'm sure you don't want that reputation, hey she invited us over to get rid of this old piece of meat.

lol.gifSeriously?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Maybe if it just affected a little bit of it you can cut that bit off.

Word to the wise - Get a vacuum sealer.  Vacuum sealing is the ONLY way to keep air off the food.  The oxygen in the air is the enemy.  That makes everything happen.

I have foods in my freezer for a year and more and if they are properly vacuum sealed they will remain 100% pristine.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeepif you freezer wrapped your roast properly in freezer paper and tin foil or if it was shrink wrapped it should be fine. I hate to waste food especially meat. I'd try it.