Super Contributor

Re: Question For Cookie Bakers...

[ Edited ]

As a novice baker, as you say, follow the recipe. As a more experienced baker, I prefer dark brown sugar in my chocolate chip cookies. It's become popular these days the use of dark brown sugar as it has 6.5% molasses vs. 3.5% that light sugar has.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Sunshine Kate   I have baked about 500 doz or more cookies each year for over 25 years at Christmas and always use dark brown since it is moister and has more molasses so cookies are tastier.  Also for chocolate chip I use half the amount of white sugar and make the other half amount dark brown sugar to add to the reglar amount of brown sugar. 

@Pook I use dark also as I like a chewey cho chip cookie.  I do use the full amount of white sugar but boy when they call for brown sugar packed,  I really pack in the dark brown. 

Honored Contributor

Pook...please tell me your secret for keeping all those cookies fresh before they are given away or eaten.

I baked a batch of cookies yesterday, I wrapped and froze them.  I have several more varieties to make.  I give away about half of them mainly to my niece that has a lot of kids and no time to bake.  If I give them to her from the freezer, (and they thaw a little) can she refreeze?

I have very little freezer space and I also thought about wrapping well in a container and just storing in the fridge.  What works best?

Although I don't think her kids would care,  I would like the cookies to be as fresh as possible...thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook, I'm in awe of 500 dozen cookies! How do you store all those cookies, and how long does it take to make all of them? I'm not much of a cookie baker, so I can't even imagine making 6,000 cookies!!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Pook...please tell me your secret for keeping all those cookies fresh before they are given away or eaten.

I baked a batch of cookies yesterday, I wrapped and froze them.  I have several more varieties to make.  I give away about half of them mainly to my niece that has a lot of kids and no time to bake.  If I give them to her from the freezer, (and they thaw a little) can she refreeze?

I have very little freezer space and I also thought about wrapping well in a container and just storing in the fridge.  What works best?

Although I don't think her kids would care,  I would like the cookies to be as fresh as possible...thanks

@Mom2Dogs   They can be refrozen but they have to be wrapped tightly with no air getting in.  I line a container with plastic wrap then line each layer with plastic wrap.  For iced cookies I put a layer of waxed paper between  each layer also.  Just keeping in the refrigerator no matter how well wrapped could result in some loss of flavor but as long as well wrapped they should not dry out.  My mother used to keep them in the basement where it was cold in large tin cans and waxed paper between layers with bread slices on top.`  I have 2 chest freezers so I have enough room.  I always have cookies all the next year after giving away around 30 large trays to family, friends and neighbors and one huge one for the family dinner.  

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Pook, I'm in awe of 500 dozen cookies! How do you store all those cookies, and how long does it take to make all of them? I'm not much of a cookie baker, so I can't even imagine making 6,000 cookies!!

@jannabelle1   I have 2 chest freezers.  I start making them after Thanksgiving and freeze the doughs in balls and the rolled out ones ready to bake.  Then closer to Christmas I bake them.  I work at them in the mornings since I am a real early riser.  I really enjoy baking cookies so it's fun for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook, that's just amazing! There are a lot of very lucky people on the receiving end of your cookies!

Honored Contributor

Light brown sugar.  

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate   You've gotten great answers from all the talented crew, so I won't repeat those.  Below is what I've learned--sometimes the hard way!

My tips are to make sure that your eggs and butter are out to get to room temperature well before you intend to start mixing and baking.  Microwaving butter to soften doesn't work as well, if at all, in my experience.  Changes the texture.  Microwaving chocolate in quick bursts does work, but I still prefer heating in a double boiler.  Let it cool if the recipe directs to do so before adding.

Have more than one cookie sheet and let them cool off before putting more cookies on them (to avoid the dreaded "spread" that can otherwise happen.   I sometimes pop them in the fridge on top of a brown bag (to avoid damaging the glass shelf) or in the freezer for a couple of minutes when they are not screaming hot from the oven to speed up their reuse.  

And yes, parchment paper is awesome!  Do use it.

Keep the cookie dough or dough log in the refrigerator while baking to avoid it getting too warm.

Store "like" cookies together--soft with soft, crispy with crispy.  Make sure they have cooled thoroughly on raised racks before storing to avoid weird, soggy, "off" cookie results after all your expense and hard work.

I do use tins with tight lids using waxed paper between layers and I don't refrigerate or freeze--don't have the space.  I do freeze raw cookie dough, though, so I can bake batches when I am in the mood.

To me, the key to baking is preparation, having all the ingredients on hand, precision, and patience.  Rushing screws things up in baking more than anything else.

Happy cookie baking!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@Pook   thanks for the tips...I think I wrap pretty well but might up it a notch this year.  I do have a food saver, that could be used on some cookies but obviously not the fragle ones...unless drawing out all the air, I wonder if that would make the go stale?

Thanks.  I have never met a cookie I did not like.