Respected Contributor

Re: Pumpkin pie - favorite recipe? 🎃

@chickenbutt  Thank you for the tip about blind-baking the crust.  Makes so much sense.  I know that there is more pumpkin pie for me in the near future so I'm going to do as you suggest.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Ina Garten's recipe includes pre-baking the crust, as do many other recipes.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@chickenbutt  Thank you for the tip about blind-baking the crust.  Makes so much sense.  I know that there is more pumpkin pie for me in the near future so I'm going to do as you suggest.

Hi!  Glad to help.   

One of the few things I'm good at is cooking, so I enjoy the discussions and being able to help others.  Have cooked since I was 6 years old and I just turned 64 this month.    Smiley Happy

Just don't cook the heck out of  it if the pie is going to end up baking again.  I can post the instructions I use if you, or anybody else, needs help with it.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

Hi!  Glad to help.   

One of the few things I'm good at is cooking, so I enjoy the discussions and being able to help others.  Have cooked since I was 6 years old and I just turned 64 this month.    Smiley Happy

Just don't cook the heck out of  it if the pie is going to end up baking again.  I can post the instructions I use if you, or anybody else, needs help with it.

If you care to take the time to post the instructions, I would be interested to read them.  I am always trying to expand my knowledge of baking techniques.  I have never prebaked my pie crust, but sounds like a good idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

If you care to take the time to post the instructions, I would be interested to read them.  I am always trying to expand my knowledge of baking techniques.  I have never prebaked my pie crust, but sounds like a good idea.

Hi!  This is what I use with my remarks (of course. heh) - 

Blind-baking a pie crust

Instructions:

Heat the oven and roll out the pie crust: Heat the oven to 425°F with a rack in the lower-middle position. Roll out the pie crust and transfer it to your pie plate as normal . Trim the edges and crimp.

Line the pie with parchment: Cut off a large square of parchment paper or aluminum foil and use it to line the pie. Snug the lining right up against the edges and sides of the pie.  (I have some parchment rounds that I got on Amazon and those seem perfect.)

Fill the pie with weights: Pour the pie weights into the pie dish (I bought a couple bags of mixed dry beans and use those.  Between uses, I keep them in a decorate jar or L&L)  . Make sure they cover the bottom of the pie and press against the sides of the pie. The weights on the bottom will keep the pie from puffing up and the weights against the sides will keep the sides from sagging as the crust bakes.

Bake until the edges are barely golden: Place the pie on the baking sheet and bake until the edges of the crust are just starting to turn golden, 12 to 15 minutes (14 has worked for me). Remove the crust from the oven.

Remove the pie weights: Grasp the corners of the parchment (or foil), and lift the weights out of the pie. Transfer them to a bowl or plate to cool. The bottom of the pie will still look wet and un-cooked at this point.

Return the crust to the oven:  Bake until the bottom looks dry, another 3-5 (3 worked for me) minutes. If the pie will not be cooked again with the filling, bake for another few minutes until the edges of the crust have browned and the bottom is lightly golden. The bottom crust will puff a bit as it bakes, but will deflate again when you remove the pie from the oven.

Continue with pie recipe: Some pies are assembled while the crust is still warm, others need the crust to be completely cooled.

*For pumpkin pie, cool the blind-baked crust COMPLETELY before filling and baking.

I wish I could tell you where I got the basics of the recipe, but I don't remember and didn't note it on the printed copy or the saved copy on my computer.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt   Going to the extra step of posting these very  clear directions is greatly appreciated.

Should certainly have the best pies ever thanks to your help.

It is clear you are a kitchen whiz and a lovely person!

With warm regards,

aroc3435 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@chickenbutt   Going to the extra step of posting these very  clear directions is greatly appreciated.

Should certainly have the best pies ever thanks to your help.

It is clear you are a kitchen whiz and a lovely person!

With warm regards,

aroc3435 

Thanks, Aroc!  I sincerely appreciate that.   I don't do much in life anymore and love to be able to help in any way I still can.  Smiley Happy

The only caveat is that I would say watch it a little bit, or know if your oven runs hot or not, because that can affect things.   

Mine is an older electric oven that, last time I checked it, it run a little lower.  For example, if it is set at 350F, it probably actually is more at about 340F or slightly over.   That's probably why those pumpkin pies seemed to take forever to bake last week!   That was annoying, for sure.  Smiley Very Happy 

Since I hadn't made them for the last two years, I had forgotten that so I just kept setting the timer for 3 more minutes (for the final baking, not the blind-bake) 3 or 4 more times before they were done.

Valued Contributor

the Libby's recipe is our favorite also.  we much prefer the shallow pies.  i do cut the sugar to half cup and add tsp of vanilla.  my young daughter was helping this morning and quite by accident i decided to put the filling back in the pumpkin can to evenly divide between the two pie shells.  probably 2 and a quarter cans total.  pies turned out great!  children learn so much as they help.  happy thanksgiving everyone!

Super Contributor

I too use the Libby's recipe. Instead of ground ginger I substitute a generous amount of fresh grated ginger and serve with a bowl of freshly whipped cream for those who want it.

Thanks for the suggestion above to make the filling the day before. I've lost one of my baking helpers this year and everything that can be done ahead of time helps.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  I also use this recipe, the only other ingredient I add is 1/4 cup brown sugar and shake of black pepper.