Honored Contributor

I was at the grocery store Saturday and I didn't see a butter shortage.  I didn't buy any but I doubt the prices were so high that anyone would have to stick up and freeze it.  If there is a problem with butter prices, it's most likely due to labor shortages.  

Honored Contributor

I, too, have heard of this butter shortage.   I was at the grocery store the other day and got 1lb.   Looked like the normal amount was there, but it takes a while for a shortage to actually show up in the store, as a rule.  Wish I had gotten two now, but I have another 3/4 of one, so I usually keep two in the freezer.

I have some L&L containers that are the exact size of one of those packages of 1lb butter, so it works out well.  Also have others that are the same W x L, but are twice as high so I can stack two in there.   I wouldn't just put something wrapped in paper in there w/o having it sealed up.  Smiley Happy

As to freezing it - yes, it keeps very nicely.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Price of butter?

[ Edited ]

If the environmental folks have their way, no cows would be raised, because they contribute to methane gas.  Also, fertilizer for cattle grazing areas has gotten more expensive and scarce.  Dairy farmers are taking a money hit right along with consumers because of this, but am not sure.  Maybe someone else here knows.

So...........fewer cows equals less affordable and less plentiful beef, milk, butter and dairy products in general.

I haven't noticed a butter shortage, but always keep a stash in the freezer, purchased from either Costco or Aldi.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I buy butter whenever it's on sale and usually at Kroger because it's the best price.  Usually it's a Digital Coupon deal, buy 5 at $2.49.  Been doing this for a couple of years now.  I have at least 10 boxes of butter in my freezer.  I freeze it all the time with no problems.  

@ScrapHappy 

Off the top of your head, what's the maximum amount of time butter stays well in the freezer?  Six months?   A year?   

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

If the environmental folks have their way, no cows would be raised, because they contribute to methane gas.  Also, fertilizer for cattle grazing areas has gotten more expensive and scarce.  Dairy farmers are taking a money hit right along with consumers because of this, but am not sure.  Maybe someone else here knows.

So...........fewer cows equals less affordable and less plentiful beef, milk, butter and dairy products in general.

I haven't noticed a butter shortage, but always keep a stash in the freezer, purchased from either Costco or Aldi.

@novamc1 

Seriously?   Where did you hear this?  Methane gas IS a problem, but I have seen nothing to indicate anyone thinks NO cows should be raised. 

What is your source for this?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I buy butter whenever it's on sale and usually at Kroger because it's the best price.  Usually it's a Digital Coupon deal, buy 5 at $2.49.  Been doing this for a couple of years now.  I have at least 10 boxes of butter in my freezer.  I freeze it all the time with no problems.  

@ScrapHappy 

Off the top of your head, what's the maximum amount of time butter stays well in the freezer?  Six months?   A year?   

The batch I'm using now has a 9/27/22 expiration date.  After that batch, Im into October 2022.  So I'm really not using "expiried" butter.  I'm sure I may have used some past the expiration date because I'm not always looking at it.  But never had a problem.  When I take it out for use, goes right into fridge.

Honored Contributor

No butter sales lately here best I saw was last week 2/$9.

I haven't checked Sams or Costco lately but even WM brand has gone from $3.49/lb to $6.49😳.  I need it so I'll just keep watching the ads 

Honored Contributor

A pound of IGA butter was priced at $5.92 yesterday.   Large eggs were $4.69 a dozen.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Got it on sale for $2.49. Limit of five pounds.

@AuntG Where? 

Trusted Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I use Kerrygold butter exclusively, and get the best prices at Walmart and Sam's Club; fingers crossed it remains that way.🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Same here!  I don't use anything else.  Nothing else tastes as good as Kerrygold!