Trusted Contributor

Your favorite ways to cook Squash

Hi recipe friends!  We're starting to see squash at the markets here, so now it feels like fall Smiley Happy  I'd love to hear how you cook with any squash.  I buy a lot of acorn squash, cut it in half and roast with a little butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes brush on some maple syrup too.  I'll also roast butternut and spaghetti squash.

Valued Contributor

Re: Your favorite ways to cook Squash

I like Fall Squash cooked like you do, but my

favorite is tender  summer squash with tender zucchini

cut in coins with vidalia onions fried in real butter.

Esteemed Contributor

We have squash available all year. I usually buy spaghetti squash, cook it till done and serve with butter and Parmesan cheese. I've never tried acorn. 

Honored Contributor

My most favorite squash is Delicata--kind of a long squash with dark green stipes--it is so sweet and yummy--I roast it. Cut down the middle, take the guts out, add some butter and brown sugar---so good. I do like most squash, spaghetti squash is another fave, acorn  is too. butternut in soup---YUM!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roasted  acorn squash cut in half and seeds removed with  a mixture placed in the two centers made of melted butter, maple syrup or brown sugar and cinnamon.

Sliced yellow squash, zucchini  and sweet onions sauteed with olive oil, salt and a little dried Italian seasoning mix and a dash or two of Montreal Steak Seasoning (garlic, salt and pepper).

Trusted Contributor

Has anyone  eaten the zucchini squash at Golden Corral (finally made my first post-pandemic visit there this week for a carry-out)?  Does anyone know how they prepare it?  Shafe please, if you know.  It's soooo good!   @Knit-Chick , if I knew how, it would definitely be my favorite zuke preparation.

Respected Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 wrote:

I like Fall Squash cooked like you do, but my

favorite is tender  summer squash with tender zucchini

cut in coins with vidalia onions fried in real butter.

That's my favorite way to cook zucchini but I season with McCormick Just a Pinch Vegetable seasoning.  Yummy.  Sometimes I throw in a few tater tots as well.

My plant has produced a boat load this summer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick  Our favorite is Delicata squash. We just halve it lengthwise, take out the seeds and cut 1/2 inch moon slices. Then we roast it on a sheet pan with olive oil and some cayanne or some kind of fresh herb for about 20 minutes. It should get brown on the bottom.. I think, if you wanted to, you could sprinkle with brown sugar, but it's pretty sweet on its own.

Homemade Roasted Delicata Squash with Salt and Pepper

Trusted Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 that sounds good!!

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Knit-Chick  Our favorite is Delicata squash. We just halve it lengthwise, take out the seeds and cut 1/2 inch moon slices. Then we roast it on a sheet pan with olive oil and some cayanne or some kind of fresh herb for about 20 minutes. It should get brown on the bottom.. I think, if you wanted to, you could sprinkle with brown sugar, but it's pretty sweet on its own.

Homemade Roasted Delicata Squash with Salt and Pepper

@PA Mom-mom 

This looks delish!

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."