Frequent Contributor

Do you have a preferred method for preserving fresh basil?  I do not usually bother, but I have been receiving a generous bunch in my weekly box from a farm.  

Honored Contributor

@maisiebrook Wash and chop, put it in ice cube trays, pour olive oil over and freeze.  Great to use in soups, pizza, anywhere you need oil and basil. 

Valued Contributor

Ecolution herb keeper is wonderful!  Item K60523  If you don't want to wait for a purchase, store it in the fridge in a glass with water at the bottom (like you would do for fresh flowers), and put a produce bag over the leaf portion to protect it from the cold.

Honored Contributor

Try microwave- drying it---surprisingly--it works great and keeps the color very green. Google the times. I have done this for basil, parsley, chives, mint and it really works and it lasts and the herbs smell and taste fresh. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Try microwave- drying it---surprisingly--it works great and keeps the color very green. Google the times. I have done this for basil, parsley, chives, mint and it really works and it lasts and the herbs smell and taste fresh. 

@wagirl 

my friend was JUST telling me about this for all of the mint i have in my garden. she said about 1 minute in the microwave and  that if it doesnt look dry enough, try another minute or less. she was saying it is fast and easy.

do you just put it on a plate or paper towel?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@maisiebrook Wash and chop, put it in ice cube trays, pour olive oil over and freeze.  Great to use in soups, pizza, anywhere you need oil and basil. 

I do the same, but use either white wine or water just enough to submerge the basil.

I put it all in a big ziploc baggie & lay it flat on a small cookie sheet in the freezer till solid.

Just break off hunks as you go.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 ---it works great . I used multi layers of paper towels--maybe 4 or 5 on a reg plate --had no paper plate and  only nuked them maybe 15 or 20 seconds at a time just to see how they would re -act; it might have been a minute or a bit more in total but I was being cautious too--you don't want to burn them  and I covered them with another paper towel----I also washed it all and made sure the herbs were dried before--- then let them cool off and crumbled them a bit to put into containers. You'll know when they are dried as they get a very nice green color and obviously will crumble.Not sure how much time is saved but they sure looked good.

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas 💖