Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@nomar 

My family loves potato cakes made with our leftover mashed potatoes.  

If there's a secret to this recipe, I would say it is in the main ingredient, the mashed potatoes.   My family likes a more solid mashed potato, not a creamy, over whipped, mashed potato.   

I dump the mashed potatoes into a large bowl, mash with a fork, add one egg, some minced onion, one heaping tablespoon of all purpose flour, salt and pepper, and stir. I want the potato mixture to be soft enough to scoop easily with a spoon, so this is when I judge if more flour is needed, and how much.   I doubt I ever add more than 1/4 cup of flour, for 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.   

I have my skillet heating while I'm mixing and stirring the potatoes, and add about 2 tablespoons of butter before I drop the potatoes in.   We like our potato pancakes smaller than a burger patty, but larger than a sausage patty.  

Sometimes my family will ask me to add cheese, which I might use grated cheese, or a small cube of Velveeta placed in the center after I drop into the skillet, then cover the cheese with more potatoes.    

Thank you for your recipe. I am going to give yours a try. I have either been adding too much flour or too much egg. Cheese will even take them up a notch.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a good friend who is Jewish and has given me her recipe years ago which is her grandmothers .   It calls calls for matza although I do sometimes use flour and don't see much difference they use it as its traditional.   Onions ,egg, baking powder, kosher salt and pepper .  I grated result potatoes , but in a pinch I will use the refrigerated hash brown raw potatoes ,  they are not already cooked.  And that's it !   Fry them up and serve with applesauce or sour cream.

now I do also make what my family calls potato croquettes with leftover mashed potatoes.   I put in parsley , Italian breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning,  pecorino grated cheese , egg, paprika.  Fry them in olive oil and serve with either a salad or roasted broccoli and either sliced cranberry ,  ya know that stuff in the can ha! Everyone in my family loves it ,  or applesauce.

Valued Contributor

Re: Potato Pancake/Latkes?

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore I think you have left out an important word. To make Jewish latkes, you use matzah meal, not matzah.

The matzah meal is very finely ground up seasoned matzah. It comes in a box in ethnic food aisle. Streits or Manischewitz brand. 
Those brands also make excellent potato pancake mix...dehydrated seasoned potatoes and meal. You add egg, mix,fry. You skip the grating of potatoes and onions. No tears.

@Snowpuppy Trader Joes has excellent frozen potato latkes,too. Even easier.

This is a staple for Hanukkah which is  early on  the November 28th, 

Esteemed Contributor

I use my Ninja processor to pulse the potatoes. Lithuanian Grandma's recipe through my Mom .

I've never used frozen hash browns or left over mashed potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@Kitty Galore I think you have left out an important word. To make Jewish latkes, you use matzah meal, not matzah.

The matzah meal is very finely ground up seasoned matzah. It comes in a box in ethnic food aisle. Streits or Manischewitz brand. 
Those brands also make excellent potato pancake mix...dehydrated seasoned potatoes and meal. You add egg, mix,fry. You skip the grating of potatoes and onions. No tears.

@Snowpuppy Trader Joes has excellent frozen potato latkes,too. Even easier.

This is a staple for Hanukkah which is  early on  the November 28th, 

@Zaimee   Oh I realize it has to be matzah meal ,  I guess I just felt that was a given wasn't thinking there would be those that wouldn't know that .   I use my food process to grind up the matzah 

Honored Contributor

Grate the potatoes and onions.  We don't worry about which type of potato.  If too moist - let them drain after grating.

We make them the way my mother did .... except my sister substtues matzo meal for the flour.

Contributor

Re: Potato Pancake/Latkes?

[ Edited ]

Definitely ,Matza Meal and sour cream is also good on them. I grew up eating Potato Pancakes. Yum yum!! Mo mom made them so good. I sure do miss her.