Valued Contributor

Parmesan-Ricotta Spaghetti Squash Fritters

/></span></div> </div> </div> <p><span style=Parmesan-Ricotta Spaghetti Squash Fritters w. crispy sage
(recipe source: thepigandquill.com)

Happy Holidays Everyone!
These little fritters are truly delicious and such a creative way to utilize squash. I really love the combination of flavors. We even added a tiny dash of crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of a bite. I made these for Thanksgiving and they have been requested to make another appearance on Christmas day.

3.5 - 4 cups cooked spaghetti squash, cooled (about 1/2 of a large squash)
**See HERE for easy squash cooking method**
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
10-15 leaves fresh sage
light cooking oil for frying
large flake sea salt for serving

In a large bowl, combine cooked squash, cheeses, beaten eggs and spices and mix well to combine. Let stand for 15-20 minutes to give salt time to draw water out of squash and ricotta. Lightly drain mixture.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over high heat until shimmery. Add sage leaves and fry until bright green and crisp, about 30 seconds. Remove sage leaves to a paper towel to drain. Turn off heat. Reserve oil in skillet.

Finely chop about half the sage leaves; reserve the remainder. When squash mixture has set and drained, stir in chopped sage. Add another drizzle of oil (to equal about a tablespoon total) to the sage oil in the fry pan and heat on med-high until just shimmering. Using a fork and spoon or two spoons, dollop generous golfball-sized portions of squash mixture into the hot oil, lightly spreading them out to about 1/2” thickness with a spoon. (I can get 3-4 to my pan at a time.) Cook for about 6-7 minutes, until edges are deeply browned and little steam holes appear in the fritter (as with pancakes). Using a spatula, very gently flip fritter it will seem loose and floppy but will hold its shape if handled correctly and cook for an additional 3 mins.

Remove fritters to a baking sheet fitted with a cooling rack. If frying several batches (it takes me about three, total), you can set the sheet pan in a low oven to keep warm while you continue frying. Allow fritters to cool slightly (they'll firm up a bit) before serving them with reserved sage leaves and a generous sprinkle of flaky salt. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parmesan-Ricotta Spaghetti Squash Fritters

Hi LoLa!

I must admit to having scrolled past this entry several times, but couldn't stand it any longer. Had to take a look. I've now copied it into my Word recipe file. Am excited to try this for us at Christmas, as DH is Impossible to get any sort of vegetable into aside from lettuce. And it's fried, which he will love. This does sound delicious and I'm also looking forward to making it.

Oh, and thanks for the link, the contents of which I also copied.

Thank you for sharing the recipe and spaghetti squash instructions. I just know my family is going to love these fritters!!! My DD, who is a CB-trained chef, but turned out to be a clinical massage therapist, after degrees in physical anthropology, will LOVE these! And my 14th month old granddaughter, too!

~Rebecca

Valued Contributor

Thank you LoLa - this sounds delicious! We love spaghetti squash any which way we can!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Super Contributor

I do this exact same thing with shredded zucchini instead of spaghetti squash. Never occurred to me to use spaghetti squash, but will try that too! Thanks.

Super Contributor

This sounds so good! Sounds yummy. And I'll try it with the zucchini too.

It also avoids refined carbs.

Thanks very much for sharing, LoLa. Happy holidays to you & yours.

Valued Contributor

Hi sfnative! You are so very welcome. I really hope that you and your sweet family enjoy these. They are a definite 'go-to' for any veggie nay-sayers...lol Please let me know how they turn out. Have a beautiful Christmas and New Year!

Hi cookie! You are very welcome. We love squash too. It's nice to mix it up sometimes. :-)

Hi gatorgal! You're welcome. I love the idea of using zucchini! I can't wait to try them in this recipe.

Hi mustbuyless. (super cute nic!) You are very welcome. I hope that you'll enjoy it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ladies,