Respected Contributor

@Shanus, your green borscht is totally new to me. Do you serve it just for the memories?

Just from looking at it, it strongly reminds me of a deep shade of pickle juice....I don't think I have ever had sorely-if I did, I didn't know about it. Can you describe it?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Finally foung Gefilte Fish recipe:

Its a large recipe so you may want to cut it back so it's more manageable

Gefilte Fish

Fish Mixture:
3 1/2 pounds whitefish
3 1/2 pounds pike
2 pounds carp plus
1 pound buffalo fish or 3 pounds carp

6 eggs
2 medium large onions
3 large carrots s
5 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup sugar?water

Broth:
2 carrots, sliced
1 large onion,
4-5 tablespoons salt
4?5 tablespoons sugar?watee

Fillet fish. (or buy fish already filleted) Wash thoroughly. Wash and set aside bones, skin, and heads. Grind fillets. If ground fish is too sticky, add water.

Grind 2 onions and 3 carrots. Add onions, carrots, 5 tablespoons salt and 1/4 cup sugar?water to ground fish.
Mix thoroughly. The more you mix fish, the fluffier it will be.
Peel carrots and onion, slice into 8 quart pot. Place bones, skin and heads on top of vegetables. Add enough water to pot to cover completely.

Add 4-5 tablespoons salt and 4-5 tablespoons sugar-water. Bring to boil. Wet hands and form fish balls. Add to pot while water is boiling.*

Boil fish for two hours. Check pot frequently and add water as necessary , conservatively if you
want a gel, or generously for broth. Yields 35-40 portions.

Note:* Use very large pot as fish balls expand.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Ladies,

You are killing me!  I am loving these stories and recipes!  Have been behind reading on this thread and was so happy to get caught up again tonight! 

Ok, should kugel  be sweet or savory?  Does it matter?   Have never had it but sounds like something I would like-sounds like comfort food!   Is there a particular story that resonates to the origin of this dish? 

Respected Contributor

Hi Mustang66lady! We haven't seen you for awhile!

A Kugel is a type of pudding and it can be savory or sweet. I thought it was a great question, so I actually looked it up.

I would say it's a "food of the people". Everybody has a version. No matter what you make it with, it's a quantity dish and a way of extending what you have.

If you wanted to research this further, just type in Kugel, sweet or Kugel savory...this is like researching something as vague as "stuffing of the world".....you will find millions of recipes....

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Poodlepet2

I've been around but usually in and out or at late hours lately.  And I always make time for @sunala's weekly post for my dose of peace for all.  I usually visit it several times a week-it's like a prayer meeting for me, reading the posts of peace and pray for all; for the welcoming of all. 

I knew there were different recipes for kugel; I guess what I was questioning is should it be sweet or savory but understand what you are saying-it probably depends from what culture/area you or your recipe is from.  Have heard of this dish but never made it and in my mind, associate it with Jewish food.  Didn't know if it really made a difference or not. 

We had terrible storms here during the night and expect more this afternoon-I'm heading to the grocery store so I can get home before they hit.  Expecting flash floods in our area with the afternoon storm on top of what we got during the night and I have 3 high strung dogs who feel they have a target on their backs!   Have a blessed day and be careful in your travels!

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, sending you and many others positive vibes....it's frightening....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@mustang66lady, sending you and many others positive vibes....it's frightening....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Thank you so much.  I have pretty much lived in tornado alley all my life.   Living with storms and tornado and wind sheer threats are a way of life here.  So is the flooding.  We have very extremes of all weather here-expecting snow flurries in the morning and a temp of about 80 on Sunday!  We didn't end up with more storms here today; they passed about 10 miles south of us, but it has rained all afternoon and is still raining now at 9 tonight.  Can't imagine what the morning news will bring.  The mantra in the St. Louis area is, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes-it'll change!  Have a peaceful evening.