Respected Contributor

This is awesome! Koshereye dot com has an entire list of substitutions for Passover-and yes-they even have a soy sauce substitute  that could be converted to a teriyaki with the addition of a little brown sugar and spices.

I don't like posting recipes from others out of respect for copyright laws, but everyone will want to visit this site and bookmark it for reference.

I am excited that I'm getting this together now because of my diabetes and DH has gout and beef is a trigger, this is going to be one of the best Passovers-foodwise. Have a great day everybody!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

This is silly, but I am having mad cravings since yesterday for matzoh spread with a wonderful course grain mustard and topped with salami: that and DH's tuna have served as great little lunches-alongside a salad.

Giving up PB is a hardship-I am addicted! Thankfully, we have almond butter!

Me. Tradition has given me good reason to order hazelnuts: I don't know why, but that is one nut that never shows it's tasty little face down here....but I have seen recipes for homemade nutella that can be made with 3 simple ingredients: hazelnuts, cocoa powder and sugar.  I have a Vitamix, but I am pretty sure it can be made in a food processor.

This is a reminder if you do have a high speed blender: you can make confectioners sugar: we aren't adding cornstarch which keeps it from getting gummy. DD is our little pastry chef and it makes me sad I can't have her decadent creations, but she makes a batch of confectioners sugar and stores it in an airtight container. We live in a high humidity area and there are no problems.

Hmm, I just caught a mistake I might have been making....DH loves U-Bet syrup, but I have noticed it's chocolate FLAVORED.....No chocolate is in it....I was just cogitating the issue? MY BAD!

Chocolate comes from beans.....For years I bought K for P brownie and cake mixes and never gave a thought to the Chocolate is probably doesn't have! Ok: I think I need to order carob along with the nuts. Is there anything I need to know about it specifically? I have never cooked with it before....oy!

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

This is awesome! Koshereye dot com has an entire list of substitutions for Passover-and yes-they even have a soy sauce substitute  that could be converted to a teriyaki with the addition of a little brown sugar and spices.

I don't like posting recipes from others out of respect for copyright laws, but everyone will want to visit this site and bookmark it for reference.

I am excited that I'm getting this together now because of my diabetes and DH has gout and beef is a trigger, this is going to be one of the best Passovers-foodwise. Have a great day everybody!

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Get out of Dodge-really there is a kosher website for recipes?!   Why am I so dense?-of course there would be but it never occured to me to even look!   Thank you so much for sharing this website!    Ina has been who I look to for recipes but also know she cooks with cheese and pork so knew she didn't keep kosher all the time.   Once again, thanks for my daily dose of humility and embrassament for not thinking about it.  Maybe I need to move into the electronic age, right?  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, tthe site I mentioned is a compilation of substitutions we can use: it's not a recipe site per se.

There are tons and tons and tons of kosher recipes on the web for year-round and holidays. You will gain weight just reading them!Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PASSOVER RECIPES

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2

Well just so long as there are at least 2 websites for me to look at-you know so I can gain weight evenly on each hip!  Woman LOL   Seriously this is going to be a great website for Jewish/kosher recipes as these recipes are being posted by friends! 

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, I am glad you are so happy!  For fun, Google kosher on-line groceries.  You will have tons of fun! 

I have never looked, but I will just bet that store brands such as Streits or Manishewitz have recipes galore!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

A New Delicious Recipe for Fried Chicken Nuggets!

My DD loves cooking and is on Spring Break this week, so bless her little heart, she spent all day in the kitchen experimenting with.....fried chicken nuggets-deep fried!

She made( by feel an incredible Asian inspired marinade from soy sauce, rice vinegar, a little sake, and ginger and garlic powder.  She marinated the chicken nuggets for about an hour.  She simply dredged a few pieces at a time in potato starch seasoned with a little salt and pepper and deep fried them......they were incredible! Of course, I had to sample.....no sauce needed either! The texture was perfect.

I don't think this would translate well to oven frying unless you really spirited it very well with oil on both sides of the nuggets.

Uncooked potato starch is healthy for diabetics, but not so much cooked! Diluting with a little almond meal or flour would improve the carb load.

We could use a K for P soy sauce substitute which includes the use of balsamic vinegar.  I forgot to mention she added a little sugar to the marinade.

There are any number of dressings that could be used as well such as Italian-raspberry vinaigrette would be the bee's knees!

We also tried coconut flour: same marinade and same method of dredging.  It was incredible and there was no hint of coconut if coconut is not your thing.  IF you really wanted to guild these lollies, I could see taking the marinade chicken, dredge in coconut flour-and then a quick dip in more marinade and then "squish" shredded unsweetened-or unsweetened coconut on the nuggets.  These would be delicious deep fried ( isn't everything?) But they could probably be oven baked.

For Pesach, since it's a very special holiday, I will give myself permission to indulge in the fried version-watching portions and consuming lots of fiber!

I have no doubts that the potato starch or coconut flour would make a fantastic coating on fish. Here, I would use an egg wash.

Cake meal hasn't hit the market yet down here, but I'm going to buy a box of matzoh, process it in the Vitamix into cake meal and experiment making crepes....potato starch is on my radar too because you don't have to mess with xanthum gum as you probably would with the coconut flour.

LADIES, AND GENTLEMEN, (if you are here, don't be shy!) WE STILL NEED TO TALK ABOUT MATZOH BRIE!!!!!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU HEARD IT ALL:

PASSOVER MATZO PIZZA

Use sheets of matzo (regular, whole wheat or gluten free)

Cover w/ slices of mozzarella cheese

Top w/ olives, mushrooms, any veggies your family enjoys

Put on a cookie sheet in oven at 350 until cheese melts. Watch carefully...usually happens fairly quickly

*** Mozzarella cheese can be found in low fat or fat free 

Contributor

Contributor

BRISKET THATS WHAT MOST JEWS EAT

ANY ONE HAVE GOOD RECIPES?

GEFILTE FISH, POTATO KUGEL

LET's GO!!!!!!!  I am going away!!!!

But that's the real menu