Valued Contributor

Anyone have a good recipe for oyster dressing.  I would like to make it for Thanksgving.

Respected Contributor
I use the box dressing mix and just add one can of oysters. Hope this helps. You can Google: Recipe for  Oyster Dressing also. 
Honored Contributor

I don't really have a recipe but my mother followed the recipe on the stuffing bag (onions, celery, etc) and at the end stirred in chopped canned oysters.  

Honored Contributor

My aunt, who was reared in Iowa, always made her "oyster dressing" for the holidays.  It was broken saltines in a buttered 9 x 9, the oysters and liquid, melted butter, a little salt and pepper, more broken saltines, half and half milk to moisten, and more butter.  Bake 10 minutes.

The oysters were good, but I can't eat anything soggy.  I don't know if it was a regional dish for her.

One grandmother put her oysters in her Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing and I loved that.  My DH won't eat that though.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG, sounds similar to this one I saw Nancy Fuller make on The Food Network. I'm tempted to try it, but it better be fabulous as there are a jillion calories in it!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/oyster-stuffing-2652424

Respected Contributor

It is interesting to see how different regions interpret the use of oysters in their holiday traditions, even in nearby localities or even a few blocks away. @ECBG The dish that you describe with layers of crackers,oysters cream &butter we call scalloped oysters and it is treated as a side dish but I have heard others call it their oyster dressing.

My mother always made a separate pan of dressing and some of the oyster liquid replaced broth. The fresh oysters were sauteed in butter, chopped and added to the traditional dressing. After the dressing was placed in a casserole pan she placed whole oysters on top about an inch apart so that every serving had a whole oyster. There was always a separate pan without the oysters for those that may not like them.

On Christmas day/night after the presents are done, the meal done ending Christmas for another year we always have a big pot of oyster stew.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

It is interesting to see how different regions interpret the use of oysters in their holiday traditions, even in nearby localities or even a few blocks away. @ECBG The dish that you describe with layers of crackers,oysters cream &butter we call scalloped oysters and it is treated as a side dish but I have heard others call it their oyster dressing.

My mother always made a separate pan of dressing and some of the oyster liquid replaced broth. The fresh oysters were sauteed in butter, chopped and added to the traditional dressing. After the dressing was placed in a casserole pan she placed whole oysters on top about an inch apart so that every serving had a whole oyster. There was always a separate pan without the oysters for those that may not like them.

On Christmas day/night after the presents are done, the meal done ending Christmas for another year we always have a big pot of oyster stew.

@tiny 2I would have LOVED the way your mom did the dressing.  I always ate my aunt's oysters with our dressing and didn't pick up a lot of the cracker.

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!!!Smiley Happy