Honored Contributor

I watched the kitchen Sat. and Katie Lee made a pie using a crust made with oil. In all of my pie making years , this was new to me. It looked easy and good and I was wondering if any bakers here used an oil crust and if so how was it ? TIA 🥧

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I've made them with vegetable oil but I still prefer butter and even 'gasp'! Lard! Just like grandma made.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I've made them with vegetable oil but I still prefer butter and even 'gasp'! Lard! Just like grandma made.

@Snowpuppy  My grandma, ( who taught me)  , used lard and her crusts were heavenly.  I just am always interested in new ways to do things. I use Crisco and ice cold water.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

i saw that, too....i liked the fact that there wasn't flour all over the counter!  that's why i don't make crusts....too much clean up.....but i might give that one a try!

Honored Contributor

IMO if the crust is not good, pie is not worth eating. I have made pie crust with oil and it does not have the same texture as crust made with shortening or lard. Lard is the best or a combination of lard and shortening.JMO

Respected Contributor

I tried an oil crust many years ago but wasn’t as flakey as my Crisco crust recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I tried an oil crust many years ago but wasn’t as flakey as my Crisco crust recipe. 

My guess is that it might be crisp and crumbly.

Frequent Contributor

I was watching that show as well. I would looking for the amounts of the ingredients, but I couldn't find them.  Does anyone have that recipe?  Thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor
Go to the food channel website and they will have the recipe posted....find the show it was on and you will find it