Honored Contributor

Re: OH NO! Made a mistake cooking!

@Harpa wrote:

@drizzellla 

Just how much cinnamon did you put in?

For all my beef dishes, I always sprinkle - just sprinkle with apple pie spice and allspice. I love these together. But it is just a touch of each.

My claim to fame - instead of adding cinnamon to the grandchildren's French toast, I put in cayenne pepper! Both were from Penzy's and came in a bag. None of the kids wanted a 2nd and/or 3rd like they always did. I wondered why!

I sprinkled the cinnamon all over the meat and onions. I guess about 1/2 teaspoon or a bit more. It was so finely chopped that it was a layer of cinnamon.

The recipe did call for a dash of allspice. But last time I cleaned out the spice cabinet, I threw it out. Wasn't sure how old it was.

Cayenne Pepper and French toast! Guess that woke the Grandkids up. Another combination I wouldn't want to try. Did you eat any? What did you think?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Yes, I made a piece for myself. (There was all this batter left over!) I couldn't believe what I was eating!  One bite was it for me!

The kids (8, 6 & 4) all ate 1 whole slice, without saying anything!! But they sure didn't ask for more!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Did you add the paprika anyways?

In case you do that again online it says to do this. If the cinnamon flavor is too sweet, add a contrasting strong spice, such as chili powder, lemon pepper, garlic powder or paprika. If the cinnamon is on the spicy side, add white or brown sugar and a sweet spice, such as nutmeg.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@drizzellla 

Did you add the paprika anyways?

In case you do that again online it says to do this. If the cinnamon flavor is too sweet, add a contrasting strong spice, such as chili powder, lemon pepper, garlic powder or paprika. If the cinnamon is on the spicy side, add white or brown sugar and a sweet spice, such as nutmeg.

That is so interesting. The cinnamon did seem add a certain kick to the stew. And I did add white sugar to the mix. I didn't add too much because I did not want to make the stew too sweet. 

Yes, I always add paprika. I follow the Better Homes and Garden recipe. It says add paprika, I add paprika.

Somehow that had stuck in my head. 

Just went hunting on line and saw Curtis Stone on the Rachel Ray Show talking about how to correct mistakes (too salty, too sweet, too spicy) made during cooking. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Somewhere there is a recipe where cinnamon in beef is a delicacy....my sister once brought her famous cranberry salad that she made with a cup of salt instead of a cup of sugar......the cinnamon sounds wonderful compared to that. 

Honored Contributor

With the price of groceries today, it would have to be pretty bad before I dumped it.