Re: OCTOBER RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Stuffed Breast of Turkey
8 Servings

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cornbread stuffing, divided
2/3 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
8 turkey breast cutlets, slightly pounded
2 (12 oz.) jars turkey gravy

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups stuffing, hot water and butter; mix well. Put an equal amount of the stuffing mixture in the center of each cutlet; roll each cutlet tightly. Place cutlets seam side down in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Pour gravy over the cutlets and sprinkle the remaining stuffing over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes until heated through and no pink remains in the turkey.

Next Ingredient:  Molasses

Honored Contributor

Originally posted by Golden Karen back in 2014.  Thank you GoldenKaren!

These were delicious!  *the notes are hers

PUMPKIN MOLASSES COOKIES -

Posted by GOLDEN KAREN 02

1/2 c. butter, room temp.

2 1/3 c. flour

1/2 c. white sugar

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 c. brown sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1 egg

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 c. molasses

2 tsp. cinnamon*

1/2 c. canned pumpkin

2 tsp. ground ginger*

2 tsp. vanilla

sugar for rolling cookies

*The 2nd time I made these I used 2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon & ginger.

Beat together butter & sugars till creamy. Add egg, molasses, pumpkin & vanilla; mix till well blended.

Whisk together dry ingredients & add to the creamed mixture just till combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough, roll into balls & roll in sugar. The dough is sticky so this is a bit messy (I sprayed my hands with Pam so that helped).

Place 2" apart on parchment paper lined baking pan.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Let cookies cool on baking pan for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.

I can't remember exactly how many dozen this made but I think it was around 5 dozen.

Something I wondered about (as this is a snickerdoodle type of recipe) was maybe adding maybe a half a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the sugar you roll the balls in before baking. The cookie you get with the cinnamon & ginger is more of a spice cookie - if that is what you want. I wanted the pumpkin flavor so that's why I tried it with the pumpkin pie spice.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

HONEY

Esteemed Contributor

Honey Pecan Pie

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup corn sirup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted margarine or butter
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans
1 unbaked pie shell

Distribute pecans in bottom of pie shell. Combine other ingredients and pour over pecans. Bake at 425 degrees about 1 hour.  Cool before serving.

Next ingredient:  Balsamic vinegar

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BALSAMIC-Marinated Flank Steak

1 beef flank steak (about 1 1/2 lbs)

salt and pepper

Marinade:

1/4 cup BALSAMIC VINEGAR

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon- style mustard

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon sugar

Combine marinade ingredients.  Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag (or container with secure lid); turn steak to coat.  Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.   Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.  Place steak on grid over medium, ash covered coals.  Grill uncovered 15-20 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.  

Season steak with salt and pepper, if desired.  Carve steak crosswise into thin slices.  Serves 4-6.

NEXT INGREDIENT.........SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

Regular Contributor

This is the best peanut butter pie I've ever eaten!!!!!!  I got it like most of the recipes I've shared on here from margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com.  I'm not much into cooking but this blogger has some really good recipes.

Easy Peanut Butter Chip Pie
6 to 8 Servings

1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 (10 oz.) pkg. peanut butter chips, divided
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup cold whipping cream, divided
1 graham cracker pie crust
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese and lemon juice in medium bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes; set aside. Place 1 cup peanut butter chips and sweetened condensed milk in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High 45 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave on High an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and the mixture is smooth when stirred. Add warm peanut butter mixture to cream cheese mixture. Beat on medium speed of mixer until blended, about 1 minute. Beat 1/2 cup whipping cream in another small bowl until stiff; fold into peanut butter mixture. Pour into pie crust; cover. Refrigerate overnight until firm. If desired, just before serving, combine remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in small bowl. Beat until stiff; spread over filling. Garnish with remaining 2/3 cup peanut butter chips. Refrigerate leftovers.

Next Ingredient:  Bell pepper

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
My mom passed away in February.
She'd saved quite a few old letters I'd mailed to her, & today I was going through them.
Back in 1978, I'd sent her this recipe, along with the note "If you hated it, TELL ME!!!" Smiley LOL
I'd also added notes like "Fresh parsley makes a difference and it's also cheap!" I'm sure it was the curly type.

Looking back, it sounds like a Swiss Steak potroast.

Here it is:

Pot Roast with Bell Pepper Gravy

3 - 4 # beef roast, suitable for pot roasting
3 garlic cloves, slivered in fourths
oil for browning roast
some flour, salt & pepper for dusting meat
1 Cup finely chopped celery
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 Cup mashed canned tomatoes with juice
2 cups canned beef broth
1/2 Cup fresh parsley
* beef bouillon, for extra flavor

Make about 12 slits with a sharp knife into the meat and stick a sliver of garlic into each hole. Dust the meat with flour, salt & pepper and brown in oil in a pot.
Remove it after browning, and put the celery, onion and peppers and cook until almost soft. Add the tomatoes and beef broth and parsley, heat till boiling, and put in the roast.
Cover and simmer for 3 hours, or until done. You might need to add more canned beef broth along the way.

Remove the roast, and thicken the sauce with the usual flour & water or cornstarch and water. Taste it & add some more beef bouillon if it needs it.
"The gravy is great over mashed potatoes!"

Next ingredient: Prunes or dates
Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Silver Palate Fruit Stuffed Loin of Pork

INGREDIENTS
4 pounds boneless pork loin, prepared for stuffing
1 cup dried pitted prunes
1 cup dried apricots
1 garlic clove
Salt & pepper to taste
1 stick sweet butter, softened
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 cup Madeira wine
1 tablespoon molasses

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using the long handle of a wooden spoon, push the dried fruit into the pocket in the roast, alternating the fruits.
Cut the garlic into thin slivers. Make deep slits in the roast with tip of a knife and push the garlic into the slits.
Tie the roast with twine and rub surface with salt and pepper.
Set the roast in a shallow baking pan and smear the butter over the roast. Sprinkle with thyme.
Stir Madeira and molasses together in a small bowl and pour over roast. Set the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake approximately 1 1/2 hours, basting often (approximately 20 minutes per pound).
When done, let stand, loosely covered with foil about 15 minutes. Cut thin slices and spoon pan juices over them.

next ingredient:  Brussels sprouts

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@sabatini hugs to you and your mom, what a great post . . . you made me smile when you mentioned the "curly" parsley as back in the day it was all that was available . . . I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are doing well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @momtochloe!

Aw, thanks for the sweet words. She was 94.

I smile every time I look at her picture. I know she's in a lovely place, and someday we'll all be together. Smiley Happy

Next ingredient: Brussels sprouts

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

What kind of garlic did you use? This recipe sounds yummy.