Regular Contributor

Nutella Gooey Butter Cookies

/><br/> <br/> This is the last new cookie recipe I tried for my cookie trays this Christmas. It's another one that has been sitting in the
This recipe fit the bill nicely......and since it has Nutella in it? How can it NOT be a good one?

I had stashed some of the 18.25 oz. cake mixes in my freezer when I realized that all the companies were downsizing their mixes so I grabbed a chocolate one along with the jar of Nutella. I've made a lot of variations on the Gooey Butter Cookies but never one with Nutella. I used a heaping half cupful of Nutella and just to add another level of chocolate, I added 1/2 tsp. chocolate extract along with the vanilla.

As with all of the cookies I make that have to be rolled in confectioners' sugar, I first roll the dough balls in granulated sugar, then immediately in confectioners' sugar. The granulated sugar helps seal some of the moisture into the cookie which allows the confectioners' sugar not to "bleed" into the baked cookie and turn a grayish color. Since there's cream cheese in these and the cookies are so moist, the confectioners' sugar doesn't hold on the outside as well as some but I think it does a better than if the dough is rolled directly into the confectioners' sugar without a granulated sugar base.

The taste of Nutella isn't overpowering-I'd call it more of a background taste. I'd almost be afraid to add more Nutella to the dough because it may make it too soft to roll into balls. I was very happy with the cookie flavor-they're soft , chocolatey and almost melt in your mouth. They're just what I wanted for my cookie tray collection.

I know I'll be making these again.......someday. For now? I think I'm pretty "cookied out"! That's OK-I'll be ready and rarin' to go when the holidays roll around again. /><br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> NUTELLA GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES<br/> (Source: adapted from Stephanie @</span> <a rel=Plain Chicken)

1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. chocolate cake mix
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
1/2 (heaping) c. Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
Granulated and confectioners' sugar for rolling

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth, light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and chocolate extract until well mixed. Add the Nutella; beat until well combined. Add the cake mix; beat until well mixed.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for at least 2 hours or until very well chilled (I do the batter a couple of days ahead of when I want to bake).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Roll the chilled batter into 1-1 1/4 inch balls. Roll the balls of dough in granulated sugar then roll them in confectioners' sugar.

Place the dough on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake @ 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. The cookies will remain soft. Makes about 3 dozen.