Trusted Contributor

Growing up I had a dislike to many veggies as my mom cooked and boiled them down to yuk!  My son is a chef and I am thrilled to love many varieties of veggies over the last few years.....I am in love with beet salad now! Smiley Happy  It's all about the method of cooking or not cooking them.

Honored Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

Growing up I had a dislike to many veggies as my mom cooked and boiled them down to yuk!  My son is a chef and I am thrilled to love many varieties of veggies over the last few years.....I am in love with beet salad now! Smiley Happy  It's all about the method of cooking or not cooking them.

I have always liked veggies, but I hated asparagus until I had it roasted. Cooking method matters !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I never was a picky eater but after years and years of overcooked food being served by my m-i-l it has turned me off to a lot of things.

The vegetables are mush, turkey and chicken is roasted until the legs are falling off the body, hamburgers are hockey pucks.

Everything is "sauteed" in water. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I agree with @QVCkitty1 

Roasting veggies makes them taste delicious! I love roasted asparagus and broccoli...olive oil, S&P, roasting until you get them a little browned in spots...yum!

I toss a little red pepper flakes on my broccoli before roasting, too.

Honored Contributor

oh gosh---remember that frozen block of yellow/orange squash----my mom use to cook that--was horrible!!! but i am veggies eater--most all kinds i like--and cook them accordingly---love the airfryer for roasting and steam alot too.

Trusted Contributor

My mom always served vegetables out of a can or frozen, never fresh.  When I got married, hubs introduced me to asparagus and broccoli, which I really like.  It really does depend on how you prepare them.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Now I know why

[ Edited ]

My mom used to make us eat canned  peas that were already mush and cooked them in evaporated milk. Yuck. Maybe a left over from the depression days.

Honored Contributor

I love that frozen block of deep yellow squash.  Its Buttercup, I believe. I hold all fresh squash up to this and the frozen wins.  DH is wasting his time trying to duplicate it. 

Spoiler
Woman Happy
Esteemed Contributor

For the vegetables I do like, I prefer them raw except for green beans (w/ a few other exceptions like peas used in soups/stews, etc.).  Even then, I prefer my green beans the way my mom made them which was to boil them to death until they're extremely soft and tender.  Of course, all the nutrients have been boiled away also.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

First prize goes to frozen spinach boiled in water.  What were they thinking! Salad anyone?