Honored Contributor

Non dairy milk and creamer substitutes that actually taste decent?

I don't know where else to post this since there is no general "food" forum.  Does anyone use a non-dairy sub for milk that has little to no real taste or just a nice mild taste AND not sweet? I am trying to avoid soy products as well.

I have tried so many and most are either too sweet or just not very tasty. The best milk sub I've found so far is a Good Karma Flax milk. There are a few soy milk creamers I like but again, trying to find a non soy and non dairy one.

TIA!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Non dairy milk and creamer substitutes that actually taste decent?

@HappyDaze

Have you ever tried coconut milk or almond milk?  Very good and natural.  Check labels for added ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

I second the suggestion for almond or coconut milk.

Those non-dairy creamers are full of chemicals and sometimes transfats.

I gave up on creamers years ago. (I hate milk) I now drink my coffee black and it tastes better that way.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've tried both but, obviously, not all brands. I was hoping maybe people could suggest certain brands they like and then I can try the ones I haven't seen or tried yet.

Not all brands are created equal and many are downright awful- either too sweet or kind of chalky/powdery tasting or just simply like milky looking water.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I second the suggestion for almond or coconut milk.

Those non-dairy creamers are full of chemicals and sometimes transfats.

I gave up on creamers years ago. (I hate milk) I now drink my coffee black and it tastes better that way.

I mostly drink mine black but sometimes with ice coffee I like a bit of creamer and my parents like creamer so I am trying to find one they might enjoy too.

Esteemed Contributor

In my quest of trying to cut back on dairy products, I've started drinking almond milk.  I buy Silk brand.  Silk Almond Milk unsweetened original.  Am I in love with it?  Haha - no.  But it's not bad at all.  It's my favorite of all the almond milks I've tried.  Some of them are vanilla flavored (which I don't want) or coconut flavored.  I prefer plain as I sometimes use it on cereal and don't want those flavors in my cereal.  I still use real half n half in my coffee, so I don't know how this milk would taste in that situation.  And, when cooking or baking, if a recipe calls for milk, 9 times out of 10 I still use the real stuff.  

Respected Contributor

I like plain ole liquid Coffeemate in the refrigerated section. It is non-dairy, but it's really a bunch of junk, lol. I don't know what your reason is but I'm very lactose intolerant and use it. It tastes good and I justify it because you use so little. 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

In my quest of trying to cut back on dairy products, I've started drinking almond milk.  I buy Silk brand.  Silk Almond Milk unsweetened original.  Am I in love with it?  Haha - no.  But it's not bad at all.  It's my favorite of all the almond milks I've tried.  Some of them are vanilla flavored (which I don't want) or coconut flavored.  I prefer plain as I sometimes use it on cereal and don't want those flavors in my cereal.  I still use real half n half in my coffee, so I don't know how this milk would taste in that situation.  And, when cooking or baking, if a recipe calls for milk, 9 times out of 10 I still use the real stuff.  

@Citrine1 yeah that is one of my more preferred brands- silk almond milk unsweetened. I am not a fan of the vanilla flavored non-dairy stuff. I am actually REALLY liking the Flax milk one I mentioned- I actually just used some in my coffee just to try it out there and it tasted the closest to real cream! I was happy about that. I also used it in my cereal this morning and really liked it- just creamy and did not take away from the taste of the cereal. I think I might just keep sticking with that one for now. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Like my coffee black.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man