Honored Contributor

Re: NEED IDEAS FOR FUND RAISER CHURCH PICNIC 200 PEOPLE

who is doing all the cooking for this

There is a store near me called REstaurant Depot, which is for the restaurants and any business that carries all kinds of food and supplies you could save some money going there compared to the grocery store. Or Costco/BJ type place

Desserts could be brownies and you could cut them into what ever size you want according to what you want to charge. Mixes are on sale for $1 box and yes I know scratch is best but that price will raise more money

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

Honored Contributor

Everybody likes chocolate chip cookies........and you can turn out 1,000 in an afternoon (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I like the bowl of fruit idea....also....sliced watermelon idea......cookies, cookies, cookies...any finger food......chocolate chip cookies always a winner....or try the Lemon Zucchini cookie recipe just posted here.......sliced tomatoes maybe with mozzarella slices or balls....veggie tray.......have fun!
Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 luvtoshopathome said: It is going to be a barbecue they are serving shish kabobs, hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad and cole slaw. I really don't like the idea of salads with mayonnaise outside in the heat but our pastor doesn't think it's a problem. I am on the fund raising committee, so I will need to make a side dish. Maybe a dessert? I know it's a lot of people so it has to be easy. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

luvstoshop, your pastor is right about mayo being safe at the BBQ.

Example: People often worry about the mayo in the potato salad at a picnic, but since the mayo is acidic, and commercially prepared mayo uses pasteurized eggs, it's fine...but it's the potatoes you've got to worry about.

Food Safety: The Scoop on Potato Salad

Good luck w/ whatever food item you choose to donate, and I hope the BBQ is a success!

Respected Contributor

On 7/20/2014 luvtoshopathome said: It is going to be a barbecue they are serving shish kabobs, hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad and cole slaw. I really don't like the idea of salads with mayonnaise outside in the heat but our pastor doesn't think it's a problem. I am on the fund raising committee, so I will need to make a side dish. Maybe a dessert? I know it's a lot of people so it has to be easy. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

Your pastor doesn't think serving mayonnaise outside in the heat is a problem? Well, I guess he believes in his mission of getting people to heavenSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Skylands said:

Your pastor doesn't think serving mayonnaise outside in the heat is a problem? Well, I guess he believes in his mission of getting people to heavenSmiley Happy

skylands, the mayo is fine.

Respected Contributor

ITALIAN POTATO SALAD (no Mayo)

Cook desired amount of potatoes as if you were going to make potato salad with Mayo. Peel and chop the potatoes.

Depending on the amount of potatoes used add a reasonable amount of canned and drained small pitted black olives.

Also depending on the amount of potatoes used add chopped sweet onions

Salt and pepper to taste

Toss with olive oil while still warm and add a small amount of red wine vinegar.

This is to be served at room temperature.

Respected Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Sabatini2 said:
On 7/21/2014 Skylands said:

skylands, the mayo is fine.

Food Safety

No matter what kind of dressing you use, don't leave any potato salad out for more than two hours (one hour if the temperature is above 90 degrees), and promptly refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container.

Trusted Contributor

A fresh fruit salad would be very expensive to do for 200 people. Cookies or brownies would be very easy. I like to pre-cut brownie squares and put them each on individual cupcake liner so it is easy to pull a liner off a serving plate and keeps hand clean.

Honored Contributor

There are many serving containers today that can be chilled and used for serving. Also, ways to serve salads over ice to stay chilled. If the salad is well chilled, and not sitting in sun, should be ok for a little while. Hopefully, you will not have weather that is too hot. Let us know how it goes.