Respected Contributor

My Mom's Favorite Baked Ravioli Casserole Recipe

This recipe is a favorite and never made the transition into the new web site Community Forums design of 6/15/2015, so here it is again, for those interested.

My Mom's Favorite Baked Ravioli Casserole Recipe

Ingredients to Buy:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 lb Italian pork sausage casings removed
1  large can crushed tomatoes 1  large can whole plum tomatoes 1/2 cup good quality red wine
1/2 cup water
1 beaten egg
One 32 ounce container of Ricotta cheese.
1 clove minced garlic, or sliced very thin.
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
1 large 24 ounce bag Celantano large round cheese ravioli (Approximately 72 ravioli).    
2 large packages shredded Italian Mozzarella cheeses.
Parmesan Reggiano freshly grated cheese, or store bought Parmesan cheese for sauce, and for assembly of ravioli casserole.

Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit degrees.

Meat Sauce recipe and can be used for all pasta dishes too:

Brown the ground beef and crumbled sausage meat in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, and then drain the fat off very well.
Add crumbled browned meats back into your sauce pan. With the heat on low simmer add the spice seasonings of your choice incorporating them all into the meat mixture.

Seasonings and Spices:

To your meat sauce add freshly chopped dill, mint, and Italian parsley not Cilantro, dried oregano, dried basil, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon crushed pepper (Kind you sprinkle on your pizza). Omit using salt since the cheeses are already salty.

Add your olive oil.   Add your red wine.   Add your 1/2 cup water.   Add your fresh garlic minced or sliced thin, and stir to mix well. Slowly add your tomato items, and a little Parmesan cheese into the sauce.

Cook on a slow simmer partially covered, until the sauce has some juice left but has nicely thickened.  Turn off heat and cover cooked meat sauce completely to retain the heat.
Ravioli Cooking:  Start boiling water add ravioli and gently simmer for 4 minutes until tender, drain and set aside.

Ricotta Mixture:   Place 32 ounce Ricotta cheese into a deep bowl.
Add one well beaten egg. Add chopped dill, mint, and parsley, and some black pepper into the Ricotta cheese mixture, but you can use dried spices too if that is all you have on hand.

Baking Pan Assembly of Items:  Use a 9X13 baking pan and grease lightly with olive oil. Layering the food in the pan:

Spoon meat sauce mixture on to bottom of your 9x13 baking dish. Make an even  layer.   
Add one flat layer of Celentano large round cheese raviolis. Add a nice thick layer of Ricotta cheese over your meat sauce mixture, using a spoon to glob it on all over, or a pastry bag with large star tip as I do.

Add a layer of meat sauce again over the ricotta cheese mixture and with a spoon gently go over it until the Ricotta cheese and tomato sauce are mixed together well. Add a nice thick layer of shredded Mozzarella cheese.

Sprinkle on some Parmesan grated cheese over the Mozzarella cheese.

Repeat layers as noted above.

Top with more meat sauce mixture, Mozzarella shredded cheese and a final sprinkling of the Parmesan cheese. Cover with parchment paper if you have some, or else just cover well with aluminum foil to seal the pane well.

Baking Instructions:  Bake 45 minutes in your preheated 375 degree oven. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more, or until ravioli is very tender and Mozzarella cheese has thoroughly melted and has a nice light golden color.

Check that the ravioli casserole is now heated through very well, and bubbly hot.

If not leave in oven to continue baking until everything is cooked through, tender and bubbly hot).

Let sit and cool for 10 minutes then serve and enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My Mom's Favorite Baked Ravioli Casserole Recipe

Sounds so good!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have made this before and it is outstanding -- can feed a crowd.

Respected Contributor

Yes it can and many thanks for your kind reply.

The leftovers if there are any are delicious, and great for another meal or two.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree Panda123, yes it is outstanding, and feeds plenty.

Trusted Contributor

Yummy! Sounds as if it would be great for a church common meal. I often take lasagna, but this seems like a fun variation. Thanks.
Respected Contributor

Hi KaliaS,

So nice to meet you, and welcome in!

You are most welcome, and I am happy that you like my Mom's Favorite Baked Raviolli Casserole Recipe.

This is really so much easier than layering lasagna, and so it has become the favorite not only of my beloved deceased Mom, but for us too.

Yes it is great for Church Functions and other events. 

When you make it I hope you also enjoy it, and others do tooSmiley Happy.