Respected Contributor

Minnie Ha Ha cake or Canadian War Cake

I've never heard of these cakes, but searched them. Interesting read. Gonna print off the recipes and try them. Ever heard of or made them??

Honored Contributor

Re: Minnie Ha Ha cake or Canadian War Cake

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc  I wouldn't make either of them, although they have historical significance.    Are you interested in the historical interest in these cakes?  If I was going all out for a once a year cake ....maybe a birthday or wedding, I'd probably be looking at a carrot cake or cheese cake - vegan, of course. The cakes you mention are interesting from a historical perspective. 

Respected Contributor

@Barbarainnc wrote:

I've never heard of these cakes, but searched them. Interesting read. Gonna print off the recipes and try them. Ever heard of or made them??

I have not heard of either but would like to see the recipes if you care to post them. 😊

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I looked up recipes for the Minnie Ha Ha cake and it isn't anything shocking to me.  It just looks like a cake with fruit and raisins and such.  It reminds me very much of the Lane Cake that has been so popular in past times. 

Honored Contributor

My mother's collection has a recipe for this cake:

1 cup room temperature (65 degrees) milk

6 room temperature egg whites

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/4 cups cake flour

1 3/4 cups sugar

4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

12 tbsp softened, but cool, butter (cut into tablespoons)

Mix milk, egg whites, and vanilla in 2-cup measuring cup.  Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with hand mixer on low speed for 5 seconds.  Mix in butter, 1 piece at a time, for a minute.  Beat in half of milk mixture on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.  Beat in rest of milk mixture on medium-low speed until combined.

Grease two 9" round cake pans, line with parchment, grease parchment, and flour pans.  Divide batter evenly between pans.  Bake for 20-25 minutes in 350 degree oven.  Cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove cakes from pans and cool on rack for 2 hours.

Icing and filling:

2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar

16 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoons

2/3 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup sliced almonds 

2/3 cup golden raisins

Prepare frosting by boiling brown sugar, 10 tbsp butter, and cream in saucepan over medium heat.  Stir occasionally until reaching 240 degrees on candy thermometer.  Pour into mixing bowl and beat with hand mixer until cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.  Beat in rest of butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Prepare filling by pulsing almonds, raisins, and 1 cup frosting in food processor until coarsely ground.

Spread filling on bottom cake layer.  Top with second cake layer and frost top and sides with rest of frosting.   

Honored Contributor

I've heard of them but never had them.