Super Contributor

I made a meatloaf and it tasted great except it was to dry.  I used 93/7% fat ground beef.   I think that is why it was dry.  What do you use?  Instead of bread I used Quaker Oats.  Don't know if that added to the dryness.

Valued Contributor

I use the same beef you use but I add an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce with crumbled saltine crackers which add moisture and also an egg.

Honored Contributor

@shiningstar

I always make Trisha Yearwood's meatloaf recipe and use the lean ground beef like you.

2 pounds lean ground beef

20 saltine crackers, crumbled

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/2 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer, mix the beef, cracker crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, and onion until just blended. Shape the mixture into two loaves and place side by side crosswise in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan. Bake the loaves for 1 hour, or until they are browned. Transfer to a platter immediately and allow the loaves to cool slightly and firm up before slicing.

Esteemed Contributor

Try putting 1/2c Philly cream cheese or sour cream.

Esteemed Contributor

Eggs and milk - Eggs and milk - Eggs and milk - - perhaps 2 eggs for 2 lbs of meat.  Never heard of Oats before - bread crumbs - cracker crumbs or slice of bread broken up and then soaked in the eggs and milk mixture before adding to the meat.  ( but to each his own)

Honored Contributor

I like a basic meatloaf made with ground beef, onions, oats, salt, pepper, green pepper, egg, and enough tomato sauce to hold it together well.   The rest of the tomato sauce is mixed with some brown sugar and a splash of vinegar, and spread on top of the meatloaf before it goes in the oven.   I bake on a rack so that the fat drips away; 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on thickness.   

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Eggs and milk - Eggs and milk - Eggs and milk - - perhaps 2 eggs for 2 lbs of meat.  Never heard of Oats before - bread crumbs - cracker crumbs or slice of bread broken up and then soaked in the eggs and milk mixture before adding to the meat.  ( but to each his own)

I add some milk and some egg to my mixture too, and some kind of bread or bread crumb or cracker crumbs or other kind of binder like oats, too. 

I personally think that a meatloaf needs a little bit of liquid in it for moisture, and to help hold the binder in it together, too. 

I also think that it can take a bit of trial and error with it and with finding what works for you regarding mixtures and recipes. Smiley Happy

I don't think mine ever turn out the same way when I make them because I am always trying different ways to make them regarding binders and veggies to put in there, too, and also what kind of meat mixture blend. 

I like to experiment when it comes to meatloaf, so I don't always know how it will turn out when I try a different way of making it. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I make this one from Cooking Light with very lean grassfed ground beef:

Herbed Meat Loaf with Sundried Tomato Gravy

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/herbed-meat-loaf-with-sun-dried-tomato-gravy

Gravy Recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sun-dried-tomato-gravy

My personal favorite meat loaf recipe is from Ina:

1770 House Meat Loaf

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/1770-house-meatloaf

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I have always used meatloaf mix.....beef, pork and veal....

Trusted Contributor

I have been teased about my famous meatloaf being my "claim to fame" for years!!   I've probably made meatloaf at least once a week for 55 years!  I was tossed into the kitchen to cook at an early age and had to cook for the 8 members of my immediate family for years before I got married and moved away from that madhouse!   LOL.

I continued making meatloaf over the next years for hubs, kids, grandkids! 

I've never put oats in mine, just an egg, and ketchup for the moisture.  I've put bread crumbs and/or crackers, along with the onions, olives, green bell pepper, etc.  

Quick and easy!!