Respected Contributor

wow,I just made a awesome meatloaf.i have tried every recipie  out there,but this one was the best.i used all beef instead of pork sausage.onions and green peppers from the garden,Progresso bread crumbs,chilli sauce,shredded cheese.sorry,I just eye balled everthing,so i have no exact measurments.sorry.baked uncovered for 45 min.then covered loaf with bbq sauce and a touch with peach jelly.cant wait to dig in.oh yes,also used 85 20 ground chuck

Respected Contributor

I would seriously write down the ingredients you used, yes, eyeballing is OK but you won't remember the next time.

There has been so many times that I made a great chili and the next time it turned out yuk!  Crazy as it seems you think you remembered and you just don't.

Great....I like your flavors.

p.s.  I would never put sausage in my meatloaf, usually 1 part beef, 1/2 part each ground pork and ground veal.

That's the texture part of meatloaf.  enjoy.

Respected Contributor

thank you just bling.i probably should have jotted amounts dow,down, you are right.next time I will have forgotten.there are several ways to make chilli also.if you have a fav,and wrote it down,I would love to have it! I know,I always use tomatoes from garden that I have canned

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delicious, @Luvsmyfam ! 😋😋

And LOL, I do that all the time. 

Throw something together, and if it comes out especially good..then afterwards I'm trying to write down how much of what I put into it, and any details, while it's still fresh in my mind.

In my notes I even tell myself what bowl, pan, or pot to use next time.

Esteemed Contributor

no egg?

What temp?

What size pan?

Esteemed Contributor

The last meatloaf recipe I tried called for half a bottle of Chili sauce, and it turned out excellent. Something about the flavor of that ingredient really did the trick for me!

Respected Contributor

yes,I used 1 egg and a 9 by 13 pan xhedge.i also have found I like chilli sauce instead of ketchup for topping.i baked at 350 for 45 min.checked temp,added glaze and baked another 40 min.i let sit a good 30 mins.it truly was the best I've ever made.oh yes,forgot 1 more ingredient.shredded mild yellow cheese. About 3/4 cups

Honored Contributor

I finally have a great meatloaf recipe--have made it several times and ALWAYS turns out great. I combine beef and pork or veal to mine too. I like having a recipe to go from--not good at all just dumping stuff together----dump cooking  is an art--my former SIL is a dump cook and OMG---what wondeful food she comes up with!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you had leftovers for a great meatloaf sandwich. 😋 

Honored Contributor

This recipe is what I grew up on and is delicious!

The base recipe is from 1930-1940 and everyone who has had it raves!!!

Mushroom Meatloaf or Burger Bundles

350 degrees

2 lbs ground round (or I lb ground round and one lb ground pork, not sausage, ground.).

2 pieces of well toasted bread, crumbled

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 med onion, chopped

1 egg

Milk to moisten

2 cans Campbell’s mushroom soup with 1 ½ can water, mixed

Mix all EXCEPT SOUP AND WATER.

Form into a loaf in a 9 x 13 casserole.

Bake for 45 min to 1 hr, and spoon off all fat. 

Add mushroom soup and water.

Bake for an additional 1 –1 ½ hr, basting frequently until gravy thickens.

For Bundles, Patty out the size of hamburgers.

Lightly brown in frying pan, spoon off grease.

Add soup and water.

Lightly simmer and baste until gravy thickens.