Trusted Contributor

Tomatoes have been keeping me busy

We've been picking at least 5 lbs of tomatoes every other day and have all different varieties.  Thought I'd share how we've been using them:

Tonight is BLT night!

Roasted cherry tomatoes (cut in half, drizzled with olive oil, roast with garlic on pan until they start to carmelize) - tossed with pasta for my hubby and tossed with chickpea 'pasta' for me.  This is also good with shrimp or chicken tossed in.

Sliced tomato with olive oil & balsamic glaze, sometimes with sliced mozzarella

Panzanella salad - tomatoes tossed with onion, chunks of homemade bread croutons, fresh mozzarella and a red wine vinaigrette

Roasted tomato soup - roast chunks of tomato, onion, italian seasoning and garlic.  Then put in pot with chicken broth.  After simmering, blend until smooth with just a bit of cream.  I freeze this too.

Tomato, cuke, avocado, onion salad (recipe from natashaskitchen dot com)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tomatoes have been keeping me busy

I'm so jealous!  Tomatoes are my absolute favorite food and just about the only thing I like about summer.  

Your recipes all sound so good.  Enjoy your crop.

Regular Contributor

@Knit-Chick Great tomato ideas there.  I make a similar soup - roast all varieties of tomatoes with onion, garlic, a jalapeno pepper and some yellow and green zucchini (that's been a very prolific crop this year) with some olive oil drizzled and salt and pepper.  Once roasted soft and carmelized, I add fresh basil from the garden, a bit of sugar and blend with the immersion blender - and add some water to thin it out.  Nothing like fresh from the garden!

Respected Contributor

You're so lucky.  Our tomatoe plants this year are a big flop.  Planted cherry tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes.  We plant them every year.  Have only gotten abou 5 cherry tomatoes so far this year...that's it.  I don't know what happened.

Valued Contributor

You are lucky indeed. Nothing better than a home grown tomato. We gave up about 4 years ago as the squirrels were winning- even taking bites out of the green ones. We have not found a way to keep them away.

Trusted Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

You are lucky indeed. Nothing better than a home grown tomato. We gave up about 4 years ago as the squirrels were winning- even taking bites out of the green ones. We have not found a way to keep them away.

@QPrincess we're lucky that our city has a community garden with a tall chain link fence to keep the deer out (that's a big problem in our area).  But we will get chipmunks climbing the plants and eating the cherry tomatoes.  

Trusted Contributor

@AnnieBelle wrote:

@Knit-Chick Great tomato ideas there.  I make a similar soup - roast all varieties of tomatoes with onion, garlic, a jalapeno pepper and some yellow and green zucchini (that's been a very prolific crop this year) with some olive oil drizzled and salt and pepper.  Once roasted soft and carmelized, I add fresh basil from the garden, a bit of sugar and blend with the immersion blender - and add some water to thin it out.  Nothing like fresh from the garden!

Thanks @AnnieBelle !  I never thought to add other veggies to the soup!  I don't grow any zucchini, but have been buying it at a few roadside stands.  yum!

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

You're so lucky.  Our tomatoe plants this year are a big flop.  Planted cherry tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes.  We plant them every year.  Have only gotten abou 5 cherry tomatoes so far this year...that's it.  I don't know what happened.

oh no!  that's so disappointing when it happens.  Wish I could drop off a few!

This year has been average for us.  We're lucky to have a garden at home plus one at our city's community garden.  The community garden is in full sun almost all day so the tomatoes love it up there.

Regular Contributor

@Knit-Chick I also make it adding roasted carrots.  Definitely added a nice sweetness to the tomatoes.

Honored Contributor

I'll be right over!!