Esteemed Contributor

Marry Me Chicken - From Once Upon A Chef

I tried whipping up  my own version of sundried tomato sauce, and while it was good, this version is so much better than what I had thrown together. I make this recipe w/o many tweaks.

I do buy whole chicken breasts and cut them lengthwise and pound the breast vs buying tenders or sliced chicken breast. 

This is really good w/ fresh bread to clean your plate with. Smiley Happy 

Marry Me Chicken - From Once Upon A Chef

Marry Me Chicken.PNG

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt
¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
4 thin-sliced chicken breasts (about 1¼ lbs; see note)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, plus more for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
Place the flour, ¾ teaspoon salt, and the black pepper in a ziplock bag and shake to combine. Add the chicken to the bag; seal the bag tightly and shake to coat the chicken evenly. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the flour-dusted chicken in the pan and cook, flipping once, until the chicken is lightly golden and just cooked through, about 3 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds more; do not brown. Add the cream, broth, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, red pepper flakes, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt; use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the pan into the liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the Parmigiano Reggiano (or Pecorino Romano) and basil. Add the chicken back to the pan, along with any juices that accumulated on the plate; reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce thickens a bit more, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with more fresh basil, if desired, and serve.

Note: I use pre-cut, ready-to-cook, thin-sliced chicken breasts for this recipe. If you'd like to use regular chicken breasts, you'll need to first cut them in half horizontally to form flat fillets, then pound them until they are between ⅛ and ¼-inch thick. (It's important to cut them in half first; otherwise they'll be enormous after pounding.)

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
New Contributor

Re: Marry Me Chicken - From Once Upon A Chef

I am a long time reader but first time responder to this forum. I would just like to chime in with my enthusiastic endorsement of the Once Upon a Chef website. I think she does a wonderful job. I have not made the Marry Me Chicken but have made many other recipes of hers and very few have not been a success - and I'm not a talented cook by anyone's standards.

Contributor

I made this a couple weeks ago and we all loved it!  I've made a lot of recipes from this site, so many that it's become a go to site for me.  My son and I agree the supernatural brownies are the best I've ever made.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaiwahini wrote:

I made this a couple weeks ago and we all loved it!  I've made a lot of recipes from this site, so many that it's become a go to site for me.  My son and I agree the supernatural brownies are the best I've ever made.

@kaiwahini 

I agree...the Once Upon A Chef site has fabulous recipes. That brownie recipe is so decadent, so delish. I will post it sometime this week. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

@kate2357    Ina Garten has a popular chicken recipe she calls "Engagement Chicken". She says if you make it for your boyfriend he'll propose. It's really good!