Honored Contributor

A neighbor is serving several kinds of popcorn for the big game.  This is one I taste tested with her that was very good.  

2 T melted butter
2 T mayonnaise
1 t lime juice

8 cups popped popcorn

1 t salt
1-1/2 t paprika
1/4 t sugar
1/8 t cayenne

Whisk together butter, mayo and lime juice and pour over the popcorn.  Gently toss to coat.

Then toss the popcorn with the combination of salt, paprika, sugar and cayenne.  

She used smoked paprika because neither of us had regular paprika in our supply of spices.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, gonna try it.

Do you thinkI could sub taco seasoning for the cayenne and paprika??

Trusted Contributor

Would have never thought to use mayo on popcorn.  Interesting flavor combination.

Honored Contributor

@vickie25 wrote:

Would have never thought to use mayo on popcorn.  Interesting flavor combination.

if you ever have the chance to try mexican street corn i highly recommnd it. it is a favorite of mine, either from the streets of mexico or at an authentic mexican restaurant. DELICIOUS!

mayo, cotija cheese, spices, herbs

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

I am sure you could.  

Respected Contributor

Re: MEXICAN STREET POPCORN

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@vickie25 wrote:

if you ever have the chance to try mexican street corn i highly recommnd it. it is a favorite of mine, either from the streets of mexico or at an authentic mexican restaurant. DELICIOUS!

mayo, cotija cheese, spices, herbs

We have a Mexican friend that makes this on the grill.  Wonderful!

Respected Contributor

Sunshine, can you tell us about cotija cheese? I wish Rick Bayless was my next door neighbor!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Mama, please tell us about that: I am assuming a heavy pot with a lid is used, but gee, throwing a hand of popcorn on a hot grill sure could be an adventure!Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

cotija cheese is sort of a cross between feta and parmesan. it is on the harder side, salty, and crumbly. if you have an ethnic store nearby you should be able to find it. some grocery stores carry it also, especially ones with a good cheese section. it is a mexican cheese.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I was watching a Martha Stewart show on CREATE last night and she made this (whole show was about corn).  I was all in until she put "Mayo" on the ear of corn.  I think she mentioned you could use sour cream instead which is what I would do.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown