Respected Contributor

Re: MARCH 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe  Hi. Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing?😘

Sorry:

NEXT INGREDIENT: ASIAGO CHEESE

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Re: MARCH 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

I've reposted this a few times before. It was originally posted by @Britbrit13 back in 2013.

It's easy & yummy, and I've often increased the sauce amount, made the chicken pieces smaller, and tossed with bowtie pasta.

Asiago Mushroom Chicken

• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 large)
  • 2 cups mushrooms, cut in half
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 springs fresh thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup seasoned flour
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
  • seasoned flour:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Pound chicken breast with a meat mallet between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap until meat is uniform thickness; about 1/4-inch. Cut into serving-sized pieces (2 or 3 pieces per breast)

Heat the butter with *1* tbs of olive oil in deep, heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat.

Dredge chicken in seasoned flour. Add to hot oil/butter in skillet. Saute until golden on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan.

Add remaining olive oil to hot skillet. Saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown.

Add white wine to skillet, scraping up all the browned bits that are at the bottom of the pan (this is called "deglazing"). Bruise the fresh thyme by twisting it between your fingers or hitting it with the dull side of a knife in a few places. Add thyme to mushroom/wine mixture in pan.

Add the chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Remove chicken from pan. Add the cream and heat through. Add the asiago cheese (if you like it strongly flavored, use 1/2 cup; not as strongly flavored, use the 1/4 cup--asiago is a powerful cheese and you can even use less for just a whisper of flavor.

Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until cheese melts. Continue cooking until sauce is reduced by about 1/2. If you wish to skip the reduction step, you may thicken the sauce slightly with about 1 tbs instant flour or 1 tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 tbs water...however, the reduction will taste better.

Add chicken back to pan and heat through.

Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme. May be served over any pasta.

About 4 servings.

NEXT INGREDIENT: canned clams
Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

CLAMS and Linguine

3 cloves minced garlic

1/3 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 teaspoon oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Juice of 1 lemon

Zest of 1 lemon

2 cans chopped CLAMS with juice

Saute' onion and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil.  Add oregano, salt, pepper and juice only from CLAMS.  Simmer to reduce sauce to 1/3 cup liquid.  Add CLAMS, parsley, lemon juice and zest.  Keep warm while you cook 1 box of linguine.  Serve sauce over linguine.  Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4 

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... SOY SAUCE 

Honored Contributor

Baked Hawaiian Chicken (ok I lied I made this with bone in country pork ribs, hee!):

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste (or ketchup)
  • 1 tablespoon grated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons grated ginger
  • 2 to 3 pounds bone-in skin-on thigh (or boneless skinless thigh, or drumsticks)
  • 2 cups pineapple chunks
  • 1 onion, chopped

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 450 F convection.
  2. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, garlic and ginger in a large baking dish. Stir to mix well. Place onion in into the baking dish and chicken on top without the pieces overlapping. Add pineapple chunks between (not on top of) the chicken pieces.
  3. Bake for about 15 minutes and briefly remove the dish to baste the chicken with the sauce. Immediately continue to bake until the skin is crispy and a thermometer inserted near the bone reads 165 F (another 15 minutes).
  4. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm as main.
  5. To reheat leftover chicken, bake the chicken with the remaining pan sauce at 350 F until warm. The chicken will stay moist.

Next Ingredient:  Leftover Corned Beef (and/or cabbage)

Hi @Coquille !  Heart

Honored Contributor
CABBAGE LASAGNA - LOW CARB AND GLUTEN FREE

PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES

SERVINGS: 20 PEOPLE

CALORIES: 451KCAL

A crowd pleasing low carb lasagna recipe that can be made ahead. They'll never miss the pasta noodles in this healthier version.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 3 lbs ricotta cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheesegrated
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley optional
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 pounds ground meat browned
  • 40 ounces marinara sauce with no sugar added
  • 32 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
  • 1/4 cup parmesan grated (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Carefully remove leaves from cabbage head.
  • Parboil leaves in salted boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and remove excess water with towel.
  • Mix ricotta and parmesan cheese with eggs and parsley (if using). Set aside.
  • Stir marinara sauce into browned meat.
  • Spread about 3/4 cup sauce onto bottom of 11x15-inch baking pan.
  • Place a layer of cooked cabbage leaves over sauce.
  • Spread half ricotta cheese mixture over cabbage leaves.
  • Top cheese mixture with half the remaining sauce.
  • Cover sauce with half the mozzarella cheese.
  • Repeat layers.
  • Top off with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
  • Bake 350F for about 25 minute
NOTES
After boiling the cabbage leaves, they should be soft and tender.
Nutrition
Serving: 379g | Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 131mg| Sodium: 511mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g

Next Ingredient: SALSA VERDE

Respected Contributor

This isn't an actual recipe, but is something that I do with salsa verde.

*Shallow frying corn tortillas is easy.

Just add oil to cover the bottom of the skillet - about 1/4 inch, and when it shimmers, drop in a tortilla. After a few seconds, when it's beginning to bubble, flip over w/ tongs, & bend in half w/ the help of a wooden spoon. Fry till almost golden, flipping occasionally. The whole process should only take a minute or so.

Drain on a waiting paper towel.

Ingredients:

oil

Smashed, minced garlic

leftover pork shoulder...some attached fat is OK!

bottled salsa verde 

sour cream

cilantro

fresh lime wedges

corn tortillas

In a medium hot skillet, add some oil, then toss in the garlic. Stir for a few moments until fragrant, add the pork, and fry until heated through and sizzling.

Drizzle on some salsa verde and toss.

Tuck pork into fried corn tortillas, and top with sour cream, cilantro, freshly squeezed lime and more salsa verde.

NEXT INGREDIENT: whipped cream

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse 

Would you mind taking another look at your directions for your Turnip Lasagna, please.  They seem incomplete.  They don't address when to add the other half of the tomato sauce, or the other layers of turnip.  And I suppose the asiago cheese is the topping?  How long is it cooked?

I do intend to trust you on this one 😊 because I love root veggies.  When I make lasagna, I will usually have a layer of spinach.  I'm thinking of using the turnip greens instead of the spinach as  I usually do.  Also thinking of using  a combo of root veggies (some if not all) like radishes (love them fried), parsnips, carrots and/or rutaabaga.  Maybe I'm thinking of creating oven baked veggie soup lasagna, huh?! 😕

Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@GenXmuse 

Would you mind taking another look at your directions for your Turnip Lasagna, please.  They seem incomplete.  They don't address when to add the other half of the tomato sauce, or the other layers of turnip.  And I suppose the asiago cheese is the topping?  How long is it cooked?

I do intend to trust you on this one 😊 because I love root veggies.  When I make lasagna, I will usually have a layer of spinach.  I'm thinking of using the turnip greens instead of the spinach as  I usually do.  Also thinking of using  a combo of root veggies (some if not all) like radishes (love them fried), parsnips, carrots and/or rutaabaga.  Maybe I'm thinking of creating oven baked veggie soup lasagna, huh?! 😕

Thanks!!!

whoopsie doodles! So sorry about that and I'm so glad you're willing to give it a whirl. I love your idea of a combined root vegetable lasagna. They are so handy to have around and last a long time. 
I added the rest of the directions in my post. 

Honored Contributor

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

3 egg yolks

1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 tablespoons water

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup coarsely crushed Oreo cookies

2 cups WHIPPING CREAM, whipped firmly

In a large bowl beat egg yolks; stir in condensed milk, water, and vanilla.  Fold in cookie crumbs and WHIPPED CREAM.  Pour into a 2 quart container and cover.  Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.

(I have not tried this recipe...yet! Will put on summer list.)

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... MAYONNAISE

Honored Contributor

Ingredients

• 3 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli
  • 3 cups finely chopped cauliflower
  • 3 cups finely chopped celery
  • 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces), thawed
  • 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  • 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup salted peanuts

Directions

• 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, cheese, vinegar and salt until blended. Add to salad and toss to coat. Just before serving, stir in peanuts. Refrigerate leftovers.

Next Ingredient: TOMATILLOS