Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a better-than-average recipe for Green Bean Casserole.

On 11/11/2014 child prodigy said:
On 11/11/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 11/10/2014 child prodigy said:
On 11/9/2014 meezerpleezer said:
On 11/9/2014 BeckiWV said:

I like to use the standard French's fried onion recipe too. I do use Krogers Very Green canned cut green beans because they have such a nice color.

One change for me is I use cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup. I just cannot stand mushrooms.

I expect one could also use cream of chicken soup if they wanted, but we like it with cream of celery.

Like BeckiWV, I hate mushrooms and mushroom soup. I make my green bean casserole like BeckiWV makes hers EXCEPT I substitute cheddar cheese soup for the cream of mushroom soup. I also like to use broccoli in lieu of the green beans with the cheddar cheese soup.

Your recipe sounds good for a broccoli casserole but that is not what the OP wants.

She very clearly said that she makes her green bean casserole with cheddar cheese soup AND she sometimes uses broccoli instead of green beans. So she actually did address exactly what the OP wants.

And - even if she hadn't - I don't think anyone should be reprimanded when they're obviously trying to be helpful.

Kiss

Sorry. My mistake. I like the green bean casserole on the Durkee can and add sliced water chestnuts.

Nice response, child prodigy. And, 'not to worry".

Esteemed Contributor

I like to use the standard French's fried onion recipe too. I do use Krogers Very Green canned cut green beans because they have such a nice color.

One change for me is I use cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup. I just cannot stand mushrooms.

I expect one could also use cream of chicken soup if they wanted, but we like it with cream of celery.

Like BeckiWV, I hate mushrooms and mushroom soup. I make my green bean casserole like BeckiWV makes hers EXCEPT I substitute cheddar cheese soup for the cream of mushroom soup. I also like to use broccoli in lieu of the green beans with the cheddar cheese soup.

Your recipe sounds good for a broccoli casserole but that is not what the OP wants.

She very clearly said that she makes her green bean casserole with cheddar cheese soup AND she sometimes uses broccoli instead of green beans. So she actually did address exactly what the OP wants.

And - even if she hadn't - I don't think anyone should be reprimanded when they're obviously trying to be helpful.

Kiss

Sorry. My mistake. I like the green bean casserole on the Durkee can and add sliced water chestnuts.

And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's hard to read tone-of-voice on a forum, and I thought you were being snarky. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Frequent Contributor

No biggie. I've lurked & decided to join. I've read many of your posts, enjoy them and like you. My recipes lean toward simpler combinations and no meat. Probably not all that appealing, lol.
Regular Contributor

This is not a casserole, but one my family likes.

Breaded Green Beans.

1 can green beans drained

1 stick butter

1/2 -1 cup flavored bread crumbs

Melt butter in a shallow pan, add crumbs, lightly brown, add beans, heat till warm.

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 My Thoughts said:

Breaded Green Beans.

1 stick butter

Melt butter in a shallow pan, add crumbs, lightly brown, add beans, heat till warm.

Hmmmm. Very interesting and easy to do. I'll try this. Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

On 11/12/2014 NYC Susan said:

Kiss

And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's hard to read tone-of-voice on a forum, and I thought you were being snarky. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Also a nice response. It's so nice to posters interact well! I really appreciate it.

Frequent Contributor

Beebee, thank you for your comments. I've been reading the forums but just joined & learning that participating is a lot different than just lurking. It will take a while to know the spoken and the unspoken rules. Thank you NYCSusan and Beebee.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/13/2014 child prodigy said: No biggie. I've lurked & decided to join. I've read many of your posts, enjoy them and like you. My recipes lean toward simpler combinations and no meat. Probably not all that appealing, lol.

Thank you so much! How lovely of you to say that!

I'm not big on meat either. Not a vegetarian - It's just kind of the way I roll! Lots of things I eat don't appeal to lots of people. Their loss!

Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/13/2014 My Thoughts said:

Breaded Green Beans.

1 stick butter

Wow! This looks good, and really - it could not be easier!

Thanks for sharing!!

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Beebee2 said:
On 11/12/2014 NYC Susan said:

Kiss

Also a nice response. It's so nice to posters interact well! I really appreciate it.

Thanks! You're very sweet. I hate to see things take a downward turn too!

Smile