Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for a better-than-average recipe for Green Bean Casserole.

Seeing that yummy cheesy bacon recipe, I bet bacon would add a great flavor to the original recipe too!!

Super Contributor

House cat, this is from a poster in the October recipe exchange game:

Cooking Light Holiday Green Bean Casserole

Add the sour cream at the last minute.

2 1/2 T Dijon mustard
1/4 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t dried tarragon
1 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
2 t butter or stick margarine
3/4 c thinly sliced shallots
2 T low-fat sour cream

Combine first 4 ingredients; set aside.

Steam green beans, covered, 5 minutes or until tender. Keep warm. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in mustard mixture and green beans; toss well. Cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream, and remove from heat. Serve immediately. Yield (10) 1/2-cup servings

ekay @ qvc recipe swap

Frequent Contributor

On 11/9/2014 meezerpleezer said:
On 11/9/2014 BeckiWV said:

I like to use the standard French's fried onion recipe too. I do use Krogers Very Green canned cut green beans because they have such a nice color.

One change for me is I use cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup. I just cannot stand mushrooms.

I expect one could also use cream of chicken soup if they wanted, but we like it with cream of celery.

Like BeckiWV, I hate mushrooms and mushroom soup. I make my green bean casserole like BeckiWV makes hers EXCEPT I substitute cheddar cheese soup for the cream of mushroom soup. I also like to use broccoli in lieu of the green beans with the cheddar cheese soup.

Your recipe sounds good for a broccoli casserole but that is not what the OP wants.
Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

Isn't green bean casserole just an urban legend? Does it really exist? I've never in my life seen one, well except on sitcoms and soup cans....

This struck me as funny because I've never had it either. My family is of Italian heritage and this wasn't something we ever had on our holiday table. I married a man with Kentucky roots and they introduced me to foods that are now my favorites, but they never made the green bean casserole either. Go figure.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/10/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 11/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

Isn't green bean casserole just an urban legend? Does it really exist? I've never in my life seen one, well except on sitcoms and soup cans....

not an urban legend.....i cannot tell you how many times this was made during thanksgiving and christmas growing up and once i had my own home and family. we have moved on from the original recipe, but i did always enjoy making it, eating it, and watching others enjoy it. i can also remember when the recipe and photo ad was in every holiday magazine every year.

My family doesn't traditionally have green bean casserole, but I have seen it served in the homes of friends and elsewhere.

So no, not something that everyone does. But also definitely not just an urban legend!

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/10/2014 child prodigy said:

I like to use the standard French's fried onion recipe too. I do use Krogers Very Green canned cut green beans because they have such a nice color.

One change for me is I use cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup. I just cannot stand mushrooms.

I expect one could also use cream of chicken soup if they wanted, but we like it with cream of celery.

Like BeckiWV, I hate mushrooms and mushroom soup. I make my green bean casserole like BeckiWV makes hers EXCEPT I substitute cheddar cheese soup for the cream of mushroom soup. I also like to use broccoli in lieu of the green beans with the cheddar cheese soup.

Your recipe sounds good for a broccoli casserole but that is not what the OP wants.

She very clearly said that she makes her green bean casserole with cheddar cheese soup AND she sometimes uses broccoli instead of green beans. So she actually did address exactly what the OP wants.

And - even if she hadn't - I don't think anyone should be reprimanded when they're obviously trying to be helpful.

Kiss

Valued Contributor

Hi house_cat. I was going to say I had posted a recipe in the October Recipe Swap but I see Beebee2 posted the recipe in reply #41. It is a good recipe and not too bad for you if you are health conscious. I cheat and use the frozen green beans from Trader Joes (the long skinny ones and I thaw and pat them dry). Trader Joes also has a version of mushroom soup (comes in a little box) that you can only get this time of year that works really well with the traditional green bean casserole instead of cream of mushroom soup. Good luck on your quest!

Frequent Contributor

On 11/11/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 11/10/2014 child prodigy said:

She very clearly said that she makes her green bean casserole with cheddar cheese soup AND she sometimes uses broccoli instead of green beans. So she actually did address exactly what the OP wants.

And - even if she hadn't - I don't think anyone should be reprimanded when they're obviously trying to be helpful.

Kiss

Sorry. My mistake. I like the green bean casserole on the Durkee can and add sliced water chestnuts.
Super Contributor

Yesterday I received an email from Taste of Home pertaining to Thanksgiving side dishes, and one section in particular was devoted to all sorts of green bean casseroles. Some of the recipes look and sound quite delicious, and some are rather peculiar. There is one for a green bean and corn bake....I never considered that combo together in a casserole before. Anyway, thought I would share and for anyone who doesn't want to click a link, just type in the address or search on the TasteofHome site.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/holiday---celebration-recipes/thanksgiving-recipes/green-bean-cas...

Personally I like the original Campbell's recipe with the cream of mushroom soup and the canned beans. It's far from gourmet but it has some comfort and tradition in it, and it tastes pretty darn good as leftovers with the turkey.

Valued Contributor

I spend every Thanksgiving with the same friends in another city and the husband does all the cooking. He is quite the chef. Two years ago he thought it would be funny to add the original green bean casserole to the menu. We all inhaled it and there was not one spoonful left over. He said that taught him to never try and pull a joke on us. Last year he doubled the recipe and it was still gone by the end of the meal. The original is the best.