Occasional Contributor

Years ago I use to purchase a stew in the deli at Smiths Grocery Store in Albuquerque, NM. I moved away and never ran across anything like it again. I never forgot how good it was and have tried to make it but it just never tasted the same. I had tried over the years to acquire the recipe from Smith's but was unsuccessful so maybe someone here knows a recipe, that if not the one, would be similar. Some of the ingredients were chunks of pork, potatoes, chunks of green chilies, and green beans.

Super Contributor

Lots of recipes for green chile pork stew. Google.

Valued Contributor

Sounds YUMMY! Here's hoping someone will come up with something. With green chilies as an ingredient, it sounds like a New Mexico-specific recipe. Maybe there is a Hatch Chili Assoc. or something that has recipes on its website?

Occasional Contributor

I have been to many many recipe sites (including Hatch) and yes there are lots of recipes for green chili pork stew but none with the potatoes and green beans. I know that finding a recipe with these ingredients is like finding a needle in a haystack but it's worth a try. I appreciate all responses!!!

Super Contributor

I've not heard about this recipe. I don't know if you tried this web site or not, but it's where I go when I know some of the ingredients of a recipe I'm looking for:

http://www.cookbooks.com/fundcrft.htm

Good luck!

Super Contributor

Ok, you got me with this one. It has been cold and rainy and I was so intrigued by your description, that I had to go on a hunt and may end up making it for dinner.

I found three recipes, two have potatoes and one does not. Apparently, the recipes with potatoes are Pueblo Style. The first recipe I found at http://albuquerque.about.com/od/fooddrink/r/Green-Chile-Stew-New-Mexico-Style.htm

Green Chile Stew, New Mexico Style

Green chile stew is a New Mexico staple, and you'll find it on the menu at many of Albuquerque's New Mexican restaurants. There are many ways to make it, but this recipe is the simple base used by many cooks. Build on it to make it your own, using freshly roasted chile from the market when available.

2 pounds of cubed pork

1 pint canned tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes

2 cups cubed potatoes, red or white

1 1/2 cups diced onion

1 TBL minced garlic

2 cups roasted, peeled, chopped green chile--or to taste

Put 6 cups of water in a pot and put in the meat. Boil until done.
Add the potatoes and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until they are soft when pierced with a fork.
Add the other ingredients and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes more. Add salt to taste. Some prefer to brown the meat before adding to the stew. This method of boiling is the classic, old fashioned style stew.

To make the stew vegetarian/vegan, omit the pork. Start with 6 cups of vegetable broth and add the potatoes. Boil until soft and add the other ingredients.

The quality of the chile in New Mexico is high. Many use only Hatch chile, which is available fresh in season. Many buy it in bulk and freeze for use throughout the winter. Use fresh if it's available, canned or frozen if not. In the southwest, frozen is available at local groceries.

Many enjoy their chile stew with cilantro. If it's available, add 2 TBL of the chopped herb to your stew as you serve it in bowls. Nothing goes better with green chile stew than a fresh, flour tortilla. Warm one and enjoy with your stew! 8 servings

The other two recipes I actually found exploring the Smith Grocery Web site, sometimes grocery websites list not only the product but the ingredients and I was hoping that if I could find the ingredient list, I could go from there. I did find the recipe section, probably not the same as the one from the deli, but maybe close enough and with some tweaking who knows.

Pueblo Green Chile Stew

2 lbs boneless pork sirloin, OR shoulder, cubed

1 Tbs vegetable oil

3 cans ( 12-oz) corn kernels, drained

2 stalks celery, diced

2 medium potatoes, diced

2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped

3 cans (4-oz) green chiles, diced

4 cans chicken broth

In large Dutch oven or deep skillet with lid, brown pork cubes in oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add rest of ingredients to pot; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve hot with fresh corn or flour tortillas. 8 Servings

Chile Verde

3 Tbs vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onion

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

3 pounds pork tenderloin or boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 1/2 cups recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained

2 cups (two 7-ounce cans) ORTEGA diced green chiles

3/4 cup chicken broth

1/2 tsp salt

Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add pork and flour; cook, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes or until pork is no longer pink. Add tomatoes with juice, chiles, broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover partially. Cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. 8 Servings

Most of the other recipes I found, were pretty much the same, but some did suggest adding a bit of brown sugar to tame the heat. Once you find the base recipe that is closest to what you remember, you can customize it and hopefully it will end up being what you are looking for. One last thought, if you tried getting the recipe from the corporate end and not the actual store, you could try calling the Deli at the Store you used to get it at and ask them for the list of ingredients and any other information they might be able to share. Maybe if you share what you put in your post above, they just might help you out. Good luck and if you find a good recipe please share it.

tkins

Occasional Contributor

I have this one:

Green Chile Pork Stew

Ingredients
1 pork tenderloin, about 1-1/3 lb., fat removed
1/4 cup masa or masa harina
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14 oz.) beef broth plus 1/2 cup water
1 bottle (12 oz.) dark beer (ale)
1 can (8 oz.) diced green chiles, drained
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried marjoram
3 medium size potatoes, cubed (about 3 cups)
1 bunch green onions, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) hominy, drained
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Directions
Cut the pork into bite size pieces (cubes) then coat with the masa by tossing them in a bag or covered bowl. Brown half of the cubes in half of the olive oil a large pot. Remove the browned cubes using a slotted spoon then repeat for the remaining cubes and olive oil. Remove the second batch of pork cubes and add to the first batch.

Add the garlic to the pot and cook for one minute. Add the broth, water, beer, chiles, chili powder and marjoram. Return the browned pork cubes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat then cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is almost tender.

Add the cubed potatoes and green onions. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the meat and potatoes are tender. Add the hominy and the chopped cilantro and heat thoroughly. Makes 6 servings.

Occasional Contributor

I want to think each of you for the information given here. I am going to try these variations.

Honored Contributor

yes! Thank you everyone (and thank you GypsySoul for asking in the first place!)

I have never heard of this type of stew (live in the NE and don't get west much!) I love all the flavor pallets listed and really like to try different types of foods. I have cooked Italian/American my whole life and quite honestly am sick of it! LOL

I am going to try all three recipes too, although the last one has me stumped with masa (don't know what that is!) and on where I would buy Hominy!

Actually, will have to search for green chiles but I am assuming those should be readily available in the Mexican Cuisine aisle? Or maybe w/ the canned tomatoes?

Super Contributor
On 5/5/2014 RespectLife said:

yes! Thank you everyone (and thank you GypsySoul for asking in the first place!)

I have never heard of this type of stew (live in the NE and don't get west much!) I love all the flavor pallets listed and really like to try different types of foods. I have cooked Italian/American my whole life and quite honestly am sick of it! LOL

I am going to try all three recipes too, although the last one has me stumped with masa (don't know what that is!) and on where I would buy Hominy!

Actually, will have to search for green chiles but I am assuming those should be readily available in the Mexican Cuisine aisle? Or maybe w/ the canned tomatoes?

Hi RespectLife

MASA HARINA: means dough flour and is a corn flour used to make tamales (light brown bag finer grind) and corn tortillas (white bag green & yellow letters) and can be found in the baking aisle usually near the flour the most common brand you will see is called Maseca.

MASA: means dough If you are lucky, you can find fresh masa dough, from either a mexican grocery store or tortillarilla.

For the recipe above that calls for coating the pork either masa harina would work, it would just be a difference in texture. It does make a difference if you are making tamales or tortillas.

Yes, the chiles would be in Mexican Cuisine aisle. I did find out that canned Hatch Chiles are available from the Hatch Chile Company (if you look up hatch chiles on walmart.com, they have a picture of the can). You may actually be able to find them there or your local grocery store or mexican grocer if you have one and they are also on Amazon, if you cant find them anywhere. I'm sure there is no substitute for the real thing, if you can't find them, use your favorite chile.

Hope this helps.

tkins