Respected Contributor

Lightly salted or UNsalted butter???

Some recipes call for unsalted butter.  I don't keep this on hand.  How does it affect the recipe if you use regular, lightly salted butter instead of UNsalted?  TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

Re: Lightly salted or UNsalted butter???

The only butter I buy is unsalted.

I like it because I can then add the amount necessary in recipes.

Honored Contributor

The difference is the salt. Found this online.

How to Substitute Salted Butter and Unsalted Butter

It’s best to use the type of butter called for in a recipe. But here’s a general rule: reduce or add 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 1/2 cup (1/4 lb; 115g; 1 stick) of butter.

Explained: If you come across a recipe that calls for salted butter and all you have is unsalted butter, use unsalted butter and increase the salt in the recipe by 1/4 teaspoon for every 1/2 cup of butter. So if a recipe calls for 1 cup of salted butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, you will use 1 cup of unsalted butter and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. And if you come across a recipe that calls for unsalted butter and all you have is salted butter, simply decrease the salt in the recipe by the same ratio above– 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 1/2 cup of butter. If you’re making a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of unsalted butter and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, you can use 1/2 cup of salted butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You would need to cut back on salt  what I didnt know until I looked it up, is that depending on brand  salt can vary1.5-3% salt in salted butter.  Asmone  poster said, if using unsalted in a recipe that calls for salted, you add about 1/4 teas.  However, it isnt quite te same the other way around.   Am not sure how to deal with that.   Ina garten always said in baking,never use salted.  You know you can freeze butter and keep in freszer for a long time.  It doesnt takelong to thaw out.  I buy on sale, and freeze.  I never buy salted unless I am desparate.  Just me.

personally I love and prefer unsalted.  To me the buttery taste is stronger.  I use trader joes mostly, but if I go elsewhere I prefer Strauss, tillamook, and organic valley

Super Contributor

I have been baking and cooking for 58 years.  Learning from Grandmother, Mother and Home Ec. in High School.  I was always aware of the unsalted butter but maybe on two occasions bought it, always used what I had on hand, usually lightly salted.  I do not use my "heathy choices" in my baking recipes.  I do cook breakfast and dinner with lower calorie options.

Honored Contributor

I always use UNsalted butter.  If the receipe calls for salt, it will indicate it.  My cookies always turn out delicious.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I usually have both salted and unsalted on hand or in freezer.  I go by the recipe.  The amount of salt in *salted* butter varies and may be substantially differant between brands.   If your baking, the salt may change the way the recipe turns out and tastes.  However,  I don't think it would stop me from baking my favorite recipe, I'd just try and adjust the best I could.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always use unsalted for cooking and baking but for eating I use salted.  

Honored Contributor

I only buy salted butter since I mostly use it for eating.  If I bake with it, I simply reduce the salt slightly.  Have gotten no complaints.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

Some recipes call for unsalted butter.  I don't keep this on hand.  How does it affect the recipe if you use regular, lightly salted butter instead of UNsalted?  TIA

@spent2much 

Use unsalted butter.  You can always add salt to your food latter.

Kerry Gold Pure Irish (unsalted) butter is alll I use in cooking.

77900D98-DF2B-4765-981A-4CDB8854B120.jpeg

~Life is short. So eat well. You could die tomorrow. ~