Esteemed Contributor

This was on the bag of lentils, i doctored a little, it was good on a cold Pa. night.

1 onion chopped

1/4 cup olive oil ( i used very little in a non stick soup pot)

2 carrots diced

2 stalks celery chopped

2 cloves garlic minced ( I used jarred)

1 tsp. dried oregano ( I used Penzeys Turkish oregano)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp. dried basil

1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes ( I used fire roasted)

16 oz bag of lentils

8 cups water ( I used Veggie broth)

1/2 cup spinach rinsed and thin sliced ( I used frozen small box green giant, I precooked it, I also put in frozen kale, I did not precook that)

2 Tbsp. Vinegar

Salt Pepper to taste ( I do not use)

I added diced red bell pepper not a lot maybe 1/2 cup

I also squeezed 1/2 fresh lemon in before serving

In a large soup pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, red pepper (if using) cook and stir till veggies are tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano and basil and cook for two minutes. Stir in lentils, then add water (or broth) and tomatoes, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least one hour then add spinach, (kale if using) Simmer until cooked thru and wilted. Stir in vinegar (this is where squeezed half lemon in) Salt and pepper to taste and add more vinegar if desired. I added a little water as needed.

Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

whats the vinegar for? I've never heard of adding that to lentil soup.

Esteemed Contributor
Have you ever made a soup that was well-salted and full of flavorful components, but tasted a little...flat? There's an easy fix you might be overlooking.Just add acid! A small amount of an acidic ingredient like lemon juice added at the end of cooking brightens flavors, especially in long-simmered bean soups or rich meat-based soups. Start with a little bit of acid, taste and adjust, until your soup tastes balanced and bright. It's amazing how a dull soup can come to life with a bit of vinegar or lime juice. Here are a few acidic ingredients you can use: • Lemon or lime juice: Start with a teaspoon or two and add more as desired. • Vinegar: Add half a teaspoon (or more) of your favorite vinegar. • Tomatoes: Fresh or canned tomatoes can be finely chopped and added as a garnish at the end of cooking, or left in chunks and cooked in the soup. • Pickles: It might sound strange, but one of my favorite ways to eat lentil soup is garnished with a big spoonful of sauerkraut. Or how about pickled red onions on a black bean soup? • Crème fraîche, yogurt or sour cream: A small dollop on a serving of soup looks pretty and adds a refreshing tang.
Valued Contributor

This sounds wonderful. Thanks you!

Respected Contributor

if you have a ham bone, throw it in -

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have a bag of lentils on hand, so like many of you, I am waiting for that arctic air to get here. This will be so good. Not planning on getting out of the house for a couple of days and soup is great to have on hand. I have heard of vinegar in soup before and had forgotten about that hint. Thanks for the recipe and hints.

Esteemed Contributor
Your welcome all. Hope you enjoy. Stay warm!
Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2014 kittyloo said:

whats the vinegar for? I've never heard of adding that to lentil soup.

Helps 'brighten' the soup. Legumes can be very dull tasting and lemon or vinegar helps with the flavor.

Super Contributor

thanks for posting this recipe. I will make this next weekend. I made pasta fagioli today with a soup bone from our 1/4 cow. Yum.

Valued Contributor

I made this yesterday and it was wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait until lunch for another bowl!!