Honored Contributor

I buy the chops that look like tiny T-bone steaks and usually are at least an inch thick--but only on sale---and I cook them in the airfryer---which is absolutely AMAZING!!  I do marinate them before hand. Use to be able to buy them at a really good sale price too. Haven't been to a grocery store , in person, since last Oct--I broke my ankle---Woman Sad but  am now able to walk on it----

Super Contributor

I hate lamb! lol

That being said, i learned a couple of things about it

from my mom, who was a fan.  First if you roast a leg of lamb,

ask the butcher to remove the gall.  it gives it that heavy gamey taste.  Removed, you have a sweeter piece of meat.  And, ribs (crown of ribs) are considered among the finest cut as are the tiny chops. Its healthy meat and so many ways to prepare for those who enjoy it.  My guess is spring for a better cut.. lesser ones unless prepared in a stew will disappoint!

Honored Contributor

@BiggsE I think soaking them in milk might make them tough.  Liver is liver, not muscle meat, so that's a different thing.  I think the milk got inside the meat, making it more steam or boil and the meat sort of drew up during cooking.

Or maybe you just got a lesser piece of meat.  Meat tenderness and flavor depends on the age of the animal, the breed, how it was fed, etc.  Sometimes you get a dud.

A rancher can look at his herd or flock and pretty well judge what will grade prime or choice.  Probably true with lamb too.  Buyers know by what they see on the hoof too and grade what they buy at auction or from the farm.  Prices vary. 

Esteemed Contributor

Works wonders on meat!

Never a tough chop!                                                             fastbird Meat Tenderizer for Tenderizing with 24 Stainless Steel Blades Cooking Machine for Your Kitchen

Respected Contributor

I always look for New Zealand lamb chops.  The ones I get at Sam's club are always delicious.  I buy the small chops and usually broil them or put them on the grill outside when it's warmer.   Often times I'll rub a little olive oil on them with spices and sometimes a little lemon zest in advance, put them in a zip lock bag and back in the frig for a few hours..... and they are so good.  The trick is not to over cook them.  They should have some pink inside when you eat them.

Honored Contributor

I prefer rib and loin chops.

Esteemed Contributor

I did some Lamb shoulder chops like Osso Bucco and they were tender and delicious!