Frequent Contributor

I recently purchased lamb chops for the first time in years.  It's been years since I purchased or ate any.  Years ago, I'd been accustomed to buying a leg of lamb and roasting it around the Easter Holiday.  

I think I bought a cut of the lamb that wasn't the best in the world, because they were tough and chewy.  I don't recall ever having gone through that when cooking them years ago.  I pre-soaked them to get some of the imported gamey taste out.  It helped and the Australian chops were tasteful after, however they were tough.

Fellow foodies, can you provide any advice on cuts to buy?  I did search and I found a lot of recipes, but that's not what I need.  I want to know if my soaking them in milk could have made them tougher also?

Thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor

I doubt the milk would have made it tough.  I always soak beef liver overnight in milk and it's never tough.

I love lamb but always order it in restaurants and never cook it myself.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@BiggsE   I happen to really love lamb chops and always buy the small loin ones. The loin is also a very tender, prized section of the lamb, usually sold cut into chops. I have grilled, broiled, seared and finished in oven and they always turn out great.  Lots of good recipes on line.

Frequent Contributor

I love Lamb Chops & always make Leg Of Lamb for Easter . I'm a Butcher's Daughter & we always had Shoulder  & Loin Chops.  I marinate mine in a bit of Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Fresh Mint, Oregano & Garlic & salt  & pepper.  Then I roast them in the Broiler until they are cooked well or on the charbroiler.  They are like Candy.  They are never tough or gamey!  You can serve them with Mint Jelly if you prefer.     

Frequent Contributor

Thank you @Kachina624 .  More than likely the cut of meat I purchased, then.  It wasn't that cheap in price either.  I might be going back to not having it for a long time again.

Frequent Contributor

I forgot to add that ground Lamb formed into Patties are also delicious with the Marinate that I posted.    

Frequent Contributor

@mspatmac @gaga 

I pan seared them.  I used some garlic oil in the pan, with rosemary, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.  I prefer Lamb Chops that don't taste so much like lamb.  I know it's silly.Woman Frustrated I like a milder flavor of Lamb.

Someone once told me to make sure to get American Lamb because they would not taste as gamey.  How the heck do you do that?  You have to buy what is available at the time where I live.  They were very tastey but tough.  Could have been method of cooking them too?

Ladies, thanks for your replies.

@Kachina624 I might have stopped purchasing and cooking because I wasn't doing it right.  Restaurant lamb chops sound good to me!

Honored Contributor

@BiggsE    Restaurants....the secret to lamb cuisine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I cooked lamb chops in the over in a gravy slowly and they always turn out very tender.  Im British and we have them with mint sauce.  I buy a jar, when I can find it, at the grocery store and put about 3 teaspoons in the gravy I make as they cook.  It may sound strange but they are delicious, especially with Yorkshire puddings.  I find chops are the easiest to cook and personally find grilling or pan frying doesn't work for me - not tender.  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

We always have leg of lamb for Easter.  I poke holes in it and fill with cut garlic cloves, I salt and place in a lidded router.  omg, it is so good.  I roast small red potatoes particaly peeled in the juice while the lamb is roasting until they are sticky and crispy.  Delicious.

We have loin lamb chops a few times a month.....from COSTCO, usually.

I brush them with garlic infused olive oil and salt and grill them to medium.

I never had tough lamb meat and I don't find it tastes gamey.