Honored Contributor

It is a cool cloudy day here in the PNW so I tried a new soup recipe. 

1 T oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 t thyme
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked chicken, cut in small pieces
1 cup orzo
salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 T fresh tarragon, chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped

Heat oil in pot over medium high heat.  Add onions, carrots and celery and cook about 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant (about 1 min).

Add chicken stock, chicken and orzo.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until orzo is just tender (about 5 minutes).

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Mix in lemon juice, zest,     tarragon and parsley.

I garnished with very thin slices of lemon.  The orzo absorbed so much of the stock I would add just before serving if you are making it ahead.   The soup was delicious and a hit with my neighbor!

Respected Contributor

Mmmmm sounds like a really good soup for a cold. I will keep the recipe on hand.Thanks!  Bit warm here in MD for soup. Gonna be in the 90s and humid tomorrow. Cant wait because I love Hazy, hot, sticky and humid.  Enjoy your soup 🍜 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sounds excellent - a nice change from chicken noodle!

Denise
Honored Contributor

I make a simpler version of this recipe because I'm lazy:

2 tbsp butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

8 cups chicken broth

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 cup orzo

6 egg yolks

6 tbsp lemon juice

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Melt butter in big saucepan.  Add in onion until softened.  Add broth, salt, and pepper and bring to boil over medium-high heat.  Add orzo and cook until tender, 12-14 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in bowl.  Slowly pour into hot soup, whisking constantly.  Stir in chicken meat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.

Esteemed Contributor

I've made a slightly different version of this soup before.  It was very good!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

That's very similar to one I make. I also add ginger and tumeric, and I use acini de pepe instead of orzo.

When I make it for myself, I substitute chick peas for the chicken (chickpea noodle soup lol).

What worries you masters you.