Super Contributor

Kansas City Prime Rib question

I took my Kansas City Prime rib out of the freezer to thaw today.  I looked in the fridge to get something and saw it said that it was "mechanically tenderized".  This shocked me as they never mentioned this on the air or in the descrption. So I google it and it states that to be safe it needs to be cooked to 145 or Med/Med Well.  We like our Prime Rib Med Rare. Now I am concerned about eating it. Has anyone else ever known this? Have you had any issues? How long have they done this? If the cut was that tender, why mechanically tenderize it at all, especially a cut you know will most likely not get cooked past medium.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kansas City Prime Rib question

I suggesyou read an article on the meat we eat .org  put all words together.

Esteemed Contributor

Rastelli rib-eyes are also mechanically tenderized.  From the FDA website:

What is Mechanically Tenderized Beef?

To increase tenderness some cuts of beef go through a process known as mechanical tenderization. During this process, the steaks are pierced with needles or sharp blades to break up muscle fibers. The tenderization process can take place in the factory before the beef is packaged, at the grocery store’s butcher counter, at a restaurant, or in the home. The USDA FSIS estimates that about 2.7 billion pounds of mechanically tenderized beef are labeled for retail each year, accounting for more than 6.2 billion servings of steak or roast

What is the Risk?

The process of mechanically tenderizing beef does pose some health risks. With this process, any pathogens on the outside of the steak may be transferred to the inside, posing a potential threat if the beef products are not cooked properly. Consumers should understand that mechanically tenderized products look no different from products that are not mechanically tenderized. Therefore, it is important to remember food safety when preparing these products.

Honored Contributor

Just a couple MORE reasons why I don't eat meat........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I've had KC prime rib, and I just follow the normal, regular cooking instructions for medium-rare, and have never had a problem.

You'll be fine.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

Thank you!  That is what I wanted to know was did anayone cook it med rare and have any issues.  I do think they should disclose this, or even better, don't do the tenderizing. It is supposed to be a tender cut to begin with.  

Honored Contributor

Nothing against this process, I "needle" my own steaks with a Deni tenderizer.  Also pork chops and anything else that I might cook rather quickly.  I just think this is a sad commentary on the quality of the meat being produced now days.  When I was 12 I used to do quick dinners for my mother, who was one of the original working moms in the 50's.  Pork chops were my favorite, it was nothing to brown them and just be sure they were cooked through. Try doing that now days, most pork chops are just too tough. And we have a terrible time finding decent steaks here in the boonies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ugabugabooooo wrote:

I took my Kansas City Prime rib out of the freezer to thaw today.  I looked in the fridge to get something and saw it said that it was "mechanically tenderized".  This shocked me as they never mentioned this on the air or in the descrption. So I google it and it states that to be safe it needs to be cooked to 145 or Med/Med Well.  We like our Prime Rib Med Rare. Now I am concerned about eating it. Has anyone else ever known this? Have you had any issues? How long have they done this? If the cut was that tender, why mechanically tenderize it at all, especially a cut you know will most likely not get cooked past medium.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks!! 

@ugabugabooooo USDA is recommending an internal temperature of 145F for safety. It's on their website.