Esteemed Contributor

KULICH - Russian Easter Bread

(Russian/Eastern Orthodox Easter Bread)

A family recipe from my Russian grandfather, this was a must on the wonderful Easter buffet table prepared by my grandmother. I loved this bread and looked forward to it each year, as it reminded me of panatone that we would get in North Beach.  Perhaps someone of Eastern European descent will enjoy making Kulich this year.  Makes 2 loaves.

2-1 lb or 1-2 lb metal coffee cans w/o lid

2 ¼ to 2-3/4 cups unsifted flour

¼ cup cane sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp grated lemon zest

1 pkg active dry yeast

½ cup milk

¼ cup water

2 Tbs butter or margarine

1 egg (room temp)

¼ cup chopped blanched almonds

¼ cup seedless raisins (can be sultanas)

Powdered sugar frosting

Multi-colored sprinkles (nonpareils-very popular)

In a small mixing bowl, thoroughly mix ¾ cup flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel and undissolved active dry yeast.

Combine milk, water and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130 degrees), then gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Add egg and ½ cup flour or enough flour to make a thick batter.  Beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary.  Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes (or use dough hook of your mixer).  Place in greased bowl, turning greased side up.  Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk: about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead in blanched almonds and raisins.  Divide dough in half.  Shape each half into a ball; press each ball into a greased 1 pound coffee can.  Or, you can make one large ball and press it into a greased 2 pound coffee can.  Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes for 1 pound cans or 50-60 minutes for 2 pound can. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes, then remove to rack.  When at room temp, frost tops with sifted powdered sugar icing (sifted powdered sugar with enough water or milk to make it soft enough to run down the side of the bread).  Place a Tbs of the icing at the very top of the bread, then another Tbs.  The top should be covered with icing and the icing should dribble about half way down the sides in an irregular pattern.  Traditionally, the bottom half of the bread is decorated with piped flowers and a large “XB,” which means “Christ is Risen.”                 ~Enjoy~

Honored Contributor

Re: KULICH - Russian Easter Bread

What a beautiful tradition to pass on.  I love the XB.  Reminds me of the other Christian tradition of marking the cross on English "hot cross buns".  Lovely.